It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk about a FAST Tornado!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Okay, I've heard of high wind speeds for a tornado. In fact, all that data isn't all that impressive for the one which just recently hit St Louis.

* MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING: EF-2

* FATALITIES: NONE.

* INJURIES: SEVERAL MINOR INJURIES. NO SERIOUS INJURIES KNOWN AT THIS TIME.

* BEGIN TIME/LOCATION: 8:00 PM CDT IN BRIDGETON AT ST. CHARLES ROCK ROAD AND INTERSTATE 270.

* END TIME/LOCATION: 8:05 CDT JUST EAST OF ST. FERDINAND PARK IN FLORISSANT.

* MAXIMUM ESTIMATED WIND SPEED: 115 TO 125 MPH

* PATH LENGTH: 7 MILES

* MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH: 500 YARDS

Now EF-2 isn't THAT severe. Let me show the chart to refresh everyone's memory who isn't living in Tornado country (and this is a bit outside the norm for that, but not that far out)

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH
EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH
EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH
EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH
EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH
EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH

No, the Fujita scale rating isn't what got my attention in a major way. What got my attention was this part, which you may not catch in reading the summary above.

THE TORNADO MOVED VERY FAST...COVERING 7 MILES IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES.
National Weather Service Bulletin / Summary Report

I'm the curious sort, so I went out and checked that with a calculator. THAT is what got my attention. A 7 mile track in 5 minutes is moving straight line ground speeds of around 84 miles an hour!

Someone write that thing a ticket! You know what the penalty is in this state for busting 80 in a residential zone?? Yikes! (No one was killed in this, as I checked before any levity was seen)

Global warming my foot. It's not warming or any other 'ing in a particular pattern, It's just going hog wild out there at times and I for one, don't take warnings about severe weather as lightly as I once may have years ago. The next record or just spectacular attention getter could be within the next weather warning for any of our areas, after all.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
slam bam, thank you mam......didn't even see it coming.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Could you imagine trying to outrun that in your car. Their are people out there that chase those things. Ok, I will leave them to that style of action entertainment.

P

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I fully agree. Not my kind of entertainment either.

When I saw a tree flying by my window in an F-1, that was enough to convince me to find the nearest rabbit hole .

edit on 11-4-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I had to look that up average speed is about 30mph, but under certain conditions can move at about 70mph.

So yep I'm gonna say that is a fast tornado

edit on 11-4-2013 by terriblyvexed because: fixing the sentence

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
maybe it's got some haarp under the hood?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's just going hog wild out there at times and I for one, don't take warnings about severe weather as lightly as I once may have years ago.

I grew up in Oklahoma , tornados and severe weather was just part of life lol hell we use to go chase em

You are right I dont remember ever having the outbreaks like we have had that last few years 60 here 40 there

So now I find myself worried about severe weather,when I really never have before

Things definatly seem different , I mean we had thunder snow here in KC 3 times in a month this year.. I had only seen it once my whole life

SNF
edit on 14-4-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
the "weather" is a whole new ball game folks. it's just going to keep getting stranger and more violent. a tornado moving that fast is pretty scary and the impact of it's movement along with the wind makes it more powerful than if it had been going at a more average speed.

imagine a STRONGER one... like F3 going over 80 miles per hour.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hi, tornado watchers?!

If you add 80 mph to the spinning 120 mph, that is 200 !!

You DO NOT want to be on the wrong "side" of that tornado !! B-)

Blue skies.

top topics

join