It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Kerry Concede Without A Court Battle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Here's the next test facing Kerry.

Will he choose to fight for votes in hope of winning in the Electoral College, or will he throw in the towel?

My hunch is that he will concede fairly soon. Maybe today.

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This isn't as contestable as last time, when 500 votes made the difference....(in FL).

[edit on 3-11-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
It all depends on how close ohio is. If bush wins by less than 2-3000 votes then probably. If Bush wins by more he won't. But he wont concede before the 13 though.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The man has a terrible ego. It is possible that he might choose to sue rather than show good character and concede.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I hope he does concede, we don't need another Florida this year. We don't need to be any more divided than we already are.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I hope not. The US does not need further division. The world for better of worse, does not need the US further divided.

As much as I wouldve preferred someone else running (like Bush less) I think he might just accept it when the final count goes against him, rather than allow it to drag through court. If he shows that much grace and class he might even be able to have a crack at it again in 2008.

It would be a good move PR wise too.

Hopefully his supporters would take thier cue from such an act.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It's a fight!

It's a sad state of affairs that some folks don't learn.
When I was a wee lad in California, I was family friends with a wonderful gal that was then Miss California(she was also a school teacher), she had just lost the Miss America event and I was sad for her. This lady told me something that we all should learn at a very young age....

"One must learn to be a good loser to ever be a great winner"......

Kerry and Edwards have no understanding of the above

WHINNERS!!!!!!!!!

*edit for spelling*

[edit on 11/3/2004 by enigmalone]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I hope he does take it to court, then maybe this country can get a good reality check on electronic voting machine companies political bias. If I were a democrat, I'd burn Diebold a new one.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It would be very harmful for the Dems to try to lawsuit their way to Office.
Regarding absentee ballots they are mainly military where votes are 2 to 1 at least for Bush. I don't know about provisional ballots but even if he wins 100% of these he falls short by 15.000 votes

Also the political pressure of almost 4 million extra popular votes for Bush would be unbeareable for them to pursue legal fights. It would be a political suicide for Kerry, Edwards and ESPECIALLY the Dems.

Crybabies are not presidential material

[edit on 3-11-2004 by Vladtepes]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I can not understand this impulse for a 'quick and decisive' decision rather than the right one; whatever the actual outcome.

How come people seem to have no concerns at all that their democracy may well be a sham?

But it's not really about democracy really is it?

It's just cheering on your team and not caring how the result is conjured, right?

[edit on 3-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I hope they fight it out.

Screw this unity crap.

This country was so unified after 9/11, our congress passed the Patriot Act without a second thought. people agreed with whatever Bush did. And look where that got us.

This country is divided because we have leaders that simply do not care. We must make them feel our discomfort.

If there is question about the results, they should be challenged, even if one candidate were to lose, the point is, to beat it into our brains that voting is in danger.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Kerry should accept defeat graciously...it was close...but not close enough (in Ohio) to turn things into a mess...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
No. I don't think he will or should conceed until the true outcome is known and all the votes are counted. Why would he conceed before knowing? In my opinion, his concerns for a recount are well-founded but I would hope that if the outcome goes against him, we would see a more honerable candidate conceed and pledge to keep working toward his goals. I think the behavior of my party after the 2000 election is a lot of the reason we're seeing so many go for Bush after everything that has happened.

Some of you are dumbfounded by it and some are grapsing at straws. You know the reason people voted for Bush. No one likes a poor sport and sore loser. We must act in a gracious manner, win, lose or draw and shed this stigma as the cry baby party. We are not and never have been(except for 2000). For Gods sake, JFK backed down Russia eye to eye in the Cuban missle crisis. Why can we not have people with cohones like that now?

We can and I think we should all urge John Kerry to conduct himself as a gentleman win or lose. But until the real outcome is known, lets not rush him to conceed an election he might have won.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrNice
The man has a terrible ego. It is possible that he
might choose to sue rather than show good character
and concede.

Yep. He'll hang on. He'll send in Jesse Jackson and
Al Sharpton who will whip up some non-exhistant
democratic voter disenfrachisement
(when it was really the republicans who were attacked
and had their tires slashed, etc.)

Kerry will embarrass himself and he won't gracefully.

Side note - wanna bet that HILLARY was popping
champagne at 2:30 EST this morning ... her campaign
started the minute Ohio was called for Bush!

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think if you look at what Edwards said last night, that one more day would not make a difference after 4 months of campaigning is a sure sign that Kerry will not wait for 10 days to concede. I think he is trying to see how close he comes in Ohio before he steps down.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I can not understand this impulse for a 'quick and decisive' decision rather than the right one; whatever the actual outcome.

How come people seem to have no concerns at all that their democracy may well be a sham?

We live in a Republic, with democratic institutions. I am very
concerned about our democratic voting institution. There are
many, many, reports of the radical left breaking the law to
disenfranchise republican voters. There doesn't seem to be
any regret coming from the democrats about those incidents.
There doesn't seem to be much follow up activity by the law.
It is definately heartbreaking.

Ohio is not rushing to judgement. There are a million or so
provisional ballots. Those ballots are 'provisional' because they
are suspect. They may, OR MAY NOT, be legal ballots. Even
if it is decided that every last provisional ballot is legal (which
they can't be), and if every last ballot came in for John Kerry
(which is impossible), Kerry still can't take Ohio.
It's mathmatically impossible.

George Bush has Ohio, even though there were numerous
attempts by the radical left to disenfranchise republican voters.
The slashing of the tires on the vans that republicans were using
to shuttle voters was criminal. It needs to be fully investigated
and the culprits fully prosecuted. This was not a prank. It was
a crime.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This radical left you keep going on about is the other half of your fellow americans, so why don't you drop the one sided rhetoric. The GOP isn't a requisite for sainthood, and last I heard there were scandals-a-plenty on the other side of the fence as well.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I hope they fight it out.

Fight what? From CNN!!

---------------------------------
Sen. John Edwards told a crowd early Wednesday at Copley Square in Boston, Massachusetts: "We will fight for every vote. You deserve no less."

Bush leads in Ohio by more than 136,000 votes, with 100 percent of precincts reporting, according to CNN data.
www.cnn.com...
---------------------------------

I don't see what he is waiting for, do you?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Kerry did, in fact, choose to end his campaign with dignity, as I hoped he would.

I know he was under tremendous pressure from his party to drag the election into the courts (again), but he resisted and chose principle over partisanship.

Although I am almost diametrically opposed to Kerry on political issues, I must acknowledge and salute the character of a man who can accept defeat gracefully.

My best regards to the Senator, his family and friends in the wake of a passionate, difficult and historically significant political contest. May they find fulfillment, wherever their paths may lead.

[edit on 11/3/2004 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
What greater act of honor is there than to concede defeat when defeated and walk away to challenge another day. Today the people of the United States regained the control of their country, the election went as it was suppossed to, the divide can now start to heal now that the people know that the designs laid down by our countries fore-fathers are intact and working.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by GrndLkNatv]

new topics

top topics

join