It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NORTH KOREA: 4 US Soldiers, voluntary and independently, defect to NK...(circa 1960)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
4 Americans?? LOL!!! South Korea has how many defectors from this War, 100,000+ if not more??

This is like the one or two Americans they bring up becoming Islamist Exremists plotting to blow up America.

Come on now. This is a non story, but good non the less.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Seriously, not 30 seconds ago, my better half and I were discussing the current situation re: North Korea, and I brought up the documentary “Crossing the Line”, about the defector, James Dresnok, etc.

So then I log onto ATS, and … LO!
Synchronicity!

I have seen this movie 3 times and will vouch for it being riveting.
An intriguing example of how a split-second decision, made on impulse, can entail life-changing consequences.

To those here interested in documentaries which show glimpses of things seldom seen, or are capable of viewing a film sans pointlessly judging its subject matter, you should also check out the director's earlier DPRK-based documentary A State of Mind (2004).

That one follows the daily lives of two young gymnasts in Pyongyang as they train for the Mass Games.

~E.C.

edit on 10-4-2013 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
I know the 1 line replies are frowned on, but if they weren't...I'd have just said "Wow"....that movie was fascinating, OP, thank you for sharing. I'd never heard of this in my life! Thanks, again.

You stole my word!

I've always been fascinated by North Korea documentaries. I've never heard of those guys, and to see a glimpse of how their life turned out is really interesting to me. I sat and ignored my husband for an hour and a half and watched that, ... When he'd start talking, i'd sigh, pause, and listen. As soon as he was done talking, I'd start back up again..

Thanks OP for posting that!!

The guy seemed kind of 'off' to me, in that he had such a crappy upbringing, he kinda acted like a bit of a power tripper with his newfound fame in North Korea.. I don't doubt that he was kind of put in charge of keeping the other fella in line, and used beatings to do it..

Interesting anyway!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
25 americans total? how many chinese, north koreans, russians and cubans have defected to the u.s? i bet a hell of a lot more than 25!!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 3mperorConstantinE

Synchronicity? Seriously? I was just getting to that word in your post when my gorgeous soul mate asked me "Hey, what's that word for when two things that are the same happen at the same time"? Solid!
I have to ask, what happens in the mind of a person who decides they are going to go AWOL? to North Korea? That person must have a lot of stuff going on in his head to decide, yeah, North Korea is the place for me!
I have to say, to North Korea, your welcome to keep that guy, and all the rest, IF, and it's a big IF, they did it 'voluntarily'. I spent about 9 years of my life watching the North Koreans. The one thing I am sure about them is this. They know what suffering is. And they suffer at the hands of they're own government, just like we do here.
But yeah, I don't need to hear what this guy has to say. I've heard it all before. It's North Korea.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
it really doesnt seem that odd considering there are some living here now that want to overthrow this government, defecting sounds easier, well if you dont get shot going for it !!!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

One woman was kidnapped from japan possibly for the purpose of one of the men, but it doesn't say. It does say that they kidnapped her to try to create japanese spies.. It seems the other men's wives were there on their own accord.

Their lives were definitely controlled though. Very strange but good doc.
edit on 10-4-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Thanks for the movie I really enjoyed it. This is why I come to ATS.

It really is good watch it and give the OP a flag and star.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
25 americans total? how many chinese, north koreans, russians and cubans have defected to the u.s? i bet a hell of a lot more than 25!!

Yea but those, more than half you're looking over your shoulder thinking they're spies... and prolly are. When something happens they reveal their true colors and throw two 767s into 2 towers...

The americans there are welcome. Probably married to a nice, warm, calm, chinese woman, that knows what being a wife is, living a nice life, with kids and a happy family...

Theres a difference.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I took a Chinese course in college and developed an instant crush on my Chinese teacher. She was 27 and I was 22. She opened up some whenever we were in small groups and invited me and a few other students to their housing and fixed us a traditional Chinese meal. She said she had to put up her savings to come teach in the US and would forfeit it if she stayed. She was really attractive. She gave me her email but I lost it. I've considered reaching the college to see if they still had her contact info. It was like 5 years ago so it's doubtful. Definitely a huge difference in the culture...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Thank you very much for posting. What a fascinating documentary. I was completely unaware of these events.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
With the recent waterfall of information surrounding North Korea, your title certainly grasped my attention. Then, came the slight of hand with you mentioning this happened in the 60s. A lot of things happened back then because circumstances were ripe for activism. Take the My Lai massacre en.wikipedia.org... that happened, for example.

STOP READING THIS THREAD AND WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge documentary buff as much as the next guy but if you want me to devote an hour and a half to this, you're going to have to throw me a bigger bone.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Unusual, to say the least.

But it takes all kinds in this world. Even Americans living in N. Korea.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
One of those four US soldiers left North Korea a few years ago and wrote a book about his experience. It's pretty good. One of the few books that I've read in one sitting.

The Reluctant Communist

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
300+ million Americans, not everyone is going to see things the same way...

Indeed.
It's also important to consider desperation. Why were these men so desperate to leave the military? Were they just fleeing their responsibilities as serving military and the only place they COULD go was NK?

I find it impossible to imagine that anyone would CHOOSE to go there. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Why would someone give up their life and risk complete and utter poverty instead? That tells me that they were all escaping something else, and going to North Korea was the only option.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50
I just watched it all and I'm stuck for words at the minute I don't no how I feel about it, is he happy or putting on a show I just don't no, I'll catch you later when Iv'e thought about it more

Thanks for finding it and S and F I did enjoy i

I'd say he had a lifelong regret for his decision almost right from the start ...If he could have left NK, he'd end up in prison...Appears he tried to make the best of a bad situation...Sad story...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut

For a BETTER life... A known better life.

These guys knew they very well may be killed but STILL chose.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Double agents and MK ULTRA also come to mind as possible indicators of intent. Not saying it's so---certainly not in all the cases--but the concept has been used before, eh?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Note to self, come back to this thread.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What is so great about a slacker alcoholic defecting to a communist country because he couldn't cope with reality?

Living in a closet and surviving on rations of rice is not my idea of experiencing life to the fullest.Obviously its paradise to him though.
So he had a rocky start in life, big whoop!

What he did was give up... He found the perfect place to waste away and avoid putting forth an effort in life.
Communist utopia example to the fullest.

"They will take care of me until I die"

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join