It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Margaret Thatcher dies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I don't want to fall out with other posters on here who normally I would have a good debate with.

There is obviously a big divide in feelings over this matter, just watching my Facebook newsfeed fill up is a prime example of that.

Like here on ATS, people who are from the North seem to be gearing up to pop open the champagne, whereas people from the South are inclined to the more civil RIP.

I guess there is just a lot of mixed views.

Maybe I was just brought up to loathe the woman, and my memories of her when she was in power tend to support that.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
While I understand the feelings politicians can evoke in people, it's rather saddening to see so many rejoicing in the passing of an old lady.
If it was a case of her in power now and her continuing to be the cause of what so many consider such a disaster, I could understand.
But how long has it been since she has meant nothing politically?
Yet here some are, high fiving and singing.
.. i do find that saddening.

Because of this.

And this.

To name but two.

Those of us that survived Thatcherism don't easily forget.

RIP Milk Snatcher.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
As a Northerner from a coal mining town I can say she won't be missed.

All we've got now is pound shops, charity shops and bookies.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Check this out, don't know if its your cup of Tea ATS but I loved it! LoL

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by hotel1

I don't want to fall out with other posters on here who normally I would have a good debate with.

There is obviously a big divide in feelings over this matter, just watching my Facebook newsfeed fill up is a prime example of that.

Like here on ATS, people who are from the North seem to be gearing up to pop open the champagne, whereas people from the South are inclined to the more civil RIP.

I guess there is just a lot of mixed views.

Maybe I was just brought up to loathe the woman, and my memories of her when she was in power tend to support that.

Great answer there Woogle and i think i will adopt the same policy but from the opposite standpoint (if you get my meaning).

I would add though that frankly i wish there were still a few politicians like her - that actually stood up for their convictions and didn't waste all day looking for great media opportunities and a new band wagon to jump on.........whatever their beliefs, that is a politician i can admire.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I am a Northerner too and my family and friends suffered extremely at the hands of the Tory Gvt during the Thatcher years.

This will always be a thorn in the side to many people whos poor families were torn apart by what she and her Gvt did to make the rich richer and the poor people poorer

However, she has died and i hope that she did not suffer and i wish for her to rest in peace as i am sure many people who are posting here would wish for if this was one of their family members who had passed away.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by caladonea

She destroyed a nation....

Poll tax
Privatisation of industry (also ending government subsidies)
Reduced taxes for the rich
Threatened to use nukes during the Falklands conflict (a conflict which could have been avoided had she paid attention)
Destroyed unions
Unemployment doubled
Closed mines
Destroyed local democracy and centralised everything from Whitehall
Heavy taxation (ex. VAT increased from 8% to 17.5%)

There are plenty more, and I am sure others can give you more details...but above all else...SHE STOLE MY MILK!

She may have stolen your milk, but she gave you soft scoop icecream,
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I cant say i ever agreed with her politics, i dont and never will, but as a politician and a woman she was formidable. She made a big mistake with poll tax. I went up to London for the anti poll tax march, the anger felt but everyone was in my mind justifiable. Thankfully i ducked out before the trouble started and went to the pub.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thats ATOS just declared Maggie Thatcher fit for work! LoL

edit on 8-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I was thinking to myself how I should I feel at this news, and the truth is, I don't feel anything, neither sadness nor joy. Death comes to us all, yet we have many whom will want to vent their spleen, and condemn her for all the ills they have suffered, whether or not she and the policies she brought to the table actually were the cause of such ills?

I think the most important legacy that could be squared upon her was a change in the mindset of this country. She broke the militancy of unions, she did the same thing with the mining industry that Beeching did to the railways. By following her mate Reagan, she softened financial regulations that were the foundational problem that has led the world into today's financial debacle (would she have bailed out banks?). She introduced the Poll Tax, which forced everyone to pay towards the upkeep of the country's infrastructure, but we can see that successive governments and councils have abused the effectiveness of the money it generated. In effect, she was just another cog in the elitist machine.

No matter what you think of her, her death is not going to change a damn thing in your life. Death didn't come to her out of justice or some form of karmic payment, she simply died of a stroke in her old age.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Posted here,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

<< 1   >>

join