It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyonce and Jay-Z Cuba Visit Queried...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
Kind of humorous to note that Cuba is actually one of the biggest tourist destinations for Canadians as it is a tropical get-away that is fairly cheap because, well, we don't go there. About a million Canadians are tourists in Cuba each year.
Americans would not like Cuba. Please don't go. It's bad enough with the Brits and the Germans (and us).

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

What's WRONG is two very successful African Americans being basically tone deaf to the virtual apartheid that exists in Cuba--and has during the entirety of the Castro Communist regime. Afro Cubans make up about ten percent of the Cuban population, and their treatment TO THIS VERY DAY makes the KKK of the old US south look like choir boys. Yet, the progressive quasi informed US media equates Communist Castro = GOOD; capitalist US =BAD and turns a blind eye to the treatment Black Cubams receive, as it does not fit the progressive meme of the perfection of communism. As such, government sponsored Cuban racism is ok; but imaginary American racism must shouted from every headline.

For such a "one percenter" couple (like the Carters--or those in their employ who "book" such adventures for them) NOT TO KNOW of the blatant anti Black racism of the Castros is appalling.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
reply to post by capone1

What's WRONG is two very successful African Americans being basically tone deaf to the virtual apartheid that exists in Cuba--and has during the entirety of the Castro Communist regime. Afro Cubans make up about ten percent of the Cuban population, and their treatment TO THIS VERY DAY makes the KKK of the old US south look like choir boys. Yet, the progressive quasi informed US media equates Communist Castro = GOOD; capitalist US =BAD and turns a blind eye to the treatment Black Cubams receive, as it does not fit the progressive meme of the perfection of communism. As such, government sponsored Cuban racism is ok; but imaginary American racism must shouted from every headline.

For such a "one percenter" couple (like the Carters--or those in their employ who "book" such adventures for them) NOT TO KNOW of the blatant anti Black racism of the Castros is appalling.

You do make some good points -- although I haven't seen much evidence or sources to make your argument.
My main point is that Americans should be able to travel where they want to if they have the resources to do so. Should Jay-z and Beyonce perhaps be better educated on the current state of race relations in Cuba? Sure! But they should have the option and freedom to travel there if they want to.
edit on 7-4-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I thought there were several countries we cannot enter..or not supposed to enter..I thought everyone knew that? Maybe Im wrong..but I thought Cuba, Iran, and some other countries around that region were off limits to americans???

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There are only two reasons that the ban was instituted and remains in effect today.

1. American business interest were extremely upset with the loss of their holdings in Cuba and pressured the US government to impose trade sanctions as a result. At the time of the nationalization American corporate and private interests controlled two-thirds of the Cuban economy, including 90% of all electricity generation, the entire telephone system, and 80% of the rich traditional sugar lands.

2. US politicians continue to pander to the large Cuban-American voting blocks in Florida and, apparently, New York for the sake of votes. They know that any easing of trade embargos and travel restrictions would have a detrimental effect on their chances to be elected to office.

Of course, the US does this because Cuba is relatively powerless to pressure the US in any meaningful fashion. The US would not have dreamed of attempting to do this to China or the USSR. But then, having nuclear weapons tends to keep bullying in check.

It can also be argued that the trade embargo has actually helped maintain the Castro regime in power. The embargo is also relatively toothless as Europeans, Canadians, Japanese, and other nations citizens are free to travel to Cuba and conduct business there.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
Kind of humorous to note that Cuba is actually one of the biggest tourist destinations for Canadians as it is a tropical get-away that is fairly cheap because, well, we don't go there. About a million Canadians are tourists in Cuba each year.

www.tripcentral.ca...

Looks pretty actually.

Yes but you also have to understand that Canada lost a big sugar contract to the USA some 20 years ago once the USA found out that some 50%+ was Cuban Sugar cane. Also nice to see here in Montreal the Tobacco stores and the many US license plates on the cars outside the stores
But how long Canada will enjoy this openness with Cuba is a question with our so Pro-American PM Harper.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
the way jayz was walking
the dude thought he was god.. hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

who knows they probably brought Cuba lol

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It is ridiculous,many of us have visited China,China is still commie,many of us have visited Vietnam where much blood was spelled they are still commies not to mention other non commie nations that are dickish to their citizens especially women, who we dole out money to like a dealer does crack to a fiend...one word FLORIDA where to lose Florida's anti Castro Hispanics you lost the state lose the state you lost the election..for lack of a better term it's called pandering.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I don't think my feelings will be hurt if they are taken,

Btw, who gives a snip
edit on 8-4-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I got 99 problems but a b... oh hi Beyonce.

I have 100 problems.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
the way jayz was walking
the dude thought he was god.. hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

who knows they probably brought Cuba lol

It is just the celebrity ego farce.

But, in his defense....he DOES have Beyonce on his arm.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
What's WRONG is two very successful African Americans being basically tone deaf to the virtual apartheid that exists in Cuba

Hi
Apartheids do not have tourist centers.

More americans of all color should go visit Cuba

Thx

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
Two elected republican officials call out Jay-Z and Beyonce for traveling to Cuba. It's those little headlines that turn the youth away from the GOP. A waste of time.

gee...and why do democrats and liberals call republicans racists???????...it's so hard to see, I just can't put my finger on it.....2 WEALTHY BLACK entertainers go to Cuba, and are called out by republicans officials...what could it be that set these officials off....hhmm...this is truly hard to figure out.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Apartheids do not have tourist centers.More americans of all color should go visit Cuba
Just to inject my two-bits (CDN) here...I was surprised to see this discussion of racism in Cuba. I have been there four times, once before the fall of the Soviet Union, and not once have I seen any hint of such a thing. I have traveled off-resort and in the towns and have never detected such a thing in my observance of the locals.

Sure, those will come out to say my experiences were strictly controlled by the godless commies, but that only works to a point. These were not Potemkin Villagers I shared the streets with. And yes...the American government panders to the Cuban community in Florida for their votes. One thing I did not notice in the thread. Among the list of the aggrieved parties thrown out of Cuba by the revolution was the Mob. I guess they still have juice, too.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

so now you are connecting some Kennedy dots, with that mob phrase.

Just sayin'.

I would love to visit Cuba. I am a fan of latin culture, and would enjoy seeing some of theirs.

It is on the "to do" list (after raising the kids) to hit up Puerto Rico and Costa Rica.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Many of you seem to not remember when Cuba was the outpost of the great Satan of the East: USSR.

And our stance on Cuba may have made sense back then. Times have changed, and the Cuban deal has to change too. For the love of God, you can swim from the US to Cuba (in theory, anyway).

I would posit that our position towards Cuba has helped fuel the oppression by robbing them of the ability for trade.

Castro doesn't seem like that bad of a guy.

Anthony Bourdain really loved it there in Cuba....

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

so now you are connecting some Kennedy dots, with that mob phrase.

Just sayin'.
I would love to visit Cuba. I am a fan of latin culture, and would enjoy seeing some of theirs.
It is on the "to do" list (after raising the kids) to hit up Puerto Rico and Costa Rica.
They tell us that the highway from Havana to Varadero was built by the Mafia. It is a lovely place...yes Third World, but the locals get their health care covered and education up to PhD. Yes, that does mean something as Cuba's biggest export right now is medical and biotech. Lifting the embargo would go a long ways towards improving the lives of the Cubans. Mind you, it would sure clutter up the beaches.

Cubans are a wonderful people, Havana is amazing...very reminiscent of NOLA. I'm definitely returning. My money may be going towards propping up a police state, but a lot more of it filters down to the people than in other tropical destinations. And as we are learning...Police State is a very subjective term these days.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Beyoncé and Jay z living la vida loca in Cuba. Pathetic when you consider the oppression of the average black citizen in Cuba

Replace the following with ain't gonna play Cuba!

Racism is alive and well on a large scale in Cuba and Jay Z is loving the royal treatment that is far from what he would get if was an average Black Man living in Cuba. What in the Hell are they thinking??

www.miamiherald.com...

This is for all of the tourists who love to visit Cuba

Black Cubans have less property and money, and also have to contend with pervasive racism. Not long ago it was common for hotel managers, for example, to hire only white staff members, so as not to offend the supposed sensibilities of their European clientele.

Racism in Cuba has been concealed and reinforced in part because it isn’t talked about. The government hasn’t allowed racial prejudice to be debated or confronted politically or culturally, often pretending instead as though it didn’t exist. Before 1990, black Cubans suffered a paralysis of economic mobility while, paradoxically, the government decreed the end of racism in speeches and publications. To question the extent of racial progress was tantamount to a counterrevolutionary act. This made it almost impossible to point out the obvious: racism is alive and well.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
This is for all of the tourists who love to visit Cuba
You don't mind if I don't take my guidance on Cuba from American government and media? If they could produce an unbiased assessment...well, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Save your admonitions for your new BFF, China, will you?

I would suggest that if you Google your premise...Cuba Bad...you'll find lots of support on the InterWebz. Why not go there and give us your personal impressions, like I have.
edit on 8-4-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

so the racism in Cuba isn't Cuban racism insomuch as appeasement of European racism? How does that make Cuba look bad in any sort of way?

If i am running a cocktail lounge, i sure ain't hiring a big, old, fat, beard sporting man to be the cocktail server. It fails to meet the expectations of my customers. The sorry old misogynists that they are.

If you want to improve the living conditions of Cuba, then welcome them into the international community. Being from the "land of the free", it sure seems that America likes to deny freedom an awful lot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join