It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft on Always Online Consoles: 'Deal With It'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This is a deal breaker.

Looks like I'm going to buy a Ps4!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Although I agree with Beardy boy in the video I think he watched way too much WWF.

He had all the moves, the beard stroke, the upward clenched fist, the side on shot and the overly dramatised hand movements

I just waited for the "You know what I'm saying Mean Gene"..

All that aside, as a person who was there at the very start of the home computer times with my ZX80, Atari 800, Vic 20 etc etc I simply cannot see how forcing a player online is going to market well. Its like a console company only allowing players to purchase games they made in house and making them watch all the wonderful 3rd party titles being played on other systems.

Even the early adopters who get a machine straight away will dump the Xbox 720 or whatever its called if this is the case, many others will simply watch it crumble and buy either a top end PC or a PS4.

As for the elitist snob "why would I want to live there", I suggest MS either downgrade or sack him, he's sent serious shock waves through the Xbox community and as MS has not said they won't be using always online I suspect that IS the way they are going and I think we can wave goodbye to the Xbox's backside as it sails straight into the sunlight and into an iceberg.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Well what can I say about this douchebag

I have computer for about 28 years now and console for 25. I have bought many original games (NES, SNES and Megadrive games throughout my childhood).

Now I download games for PC (i know, i know it's not ok) BUT I buy almost every game I like. One of the main reason is that I'm on field-job or vacation at seaside and I want to play games on my laptop without internet.
So I can say that I come from a country with small market but I'm very good buyer.

THIS CRAP will definitely turn me off from buying this crappy console.
Now I will need ONLINE connection for playing ? not registering but playing? constant WIFI throughout my body?
It's not enough that router is 1 meter from me?
tons of Gb on my bill? Should I take flat rate DSL at my seaside appartment?
For playing few hours with NFS or Pro evo?

Main advantage for a console was putting it in a backpack with a few games and connecting it with every TV that I see. Even my grandma's old wooden frame
TV.

Not buying this console and never will.

And to this douchebag from Microsoft (i don't have Twitter but if anyone wants - post this to him)-

my history of bought consoles with at least 10 original games (NES, SNES, Megadrive, PSX, PS2, XBOX, PS3).
my history of bought computers with at least 10 original games (ZX Spectrum 48k, Commodore 64, Amiga 512, 286 386 486 Pentium, Klamath Pentumium II and so on blah blah)

That's over 200 games in my life and over 20 different machines with games on it.

And still I HAVE A LIFE. Still there are many times when I'm offline and I LIKE IT. I like it very much.
It is sad that you are always on.
GET A LIFE

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I am soooooo glad I can live without all the crap some people seem to have an umbilical cord connection to, all the money I don't spend, all the hours I don't waste, (well, not on that crap anyway) However I will confess to spending a lot of non crap time on reading news blogs, ATS.com for one, but, where else can I find out what is really going on?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Always on DRM is unneeded and not wanted.

Microsoft is now apologizing this d-bag.

Microsoft’s comment:

“We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.”

edit on 5-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

Thank you very much. I doubt that I would buy an XBox, but once Microsoft makes an online-only console, others could follow suit (although hopefully the backlash would be enough to make others think.

What devices are there at the moment that require always on internet? I cannot think of anything.

I do not have always on internet, and I do not like DRM that requires the publishers servers to be up and running for me to play a game. I'm definately not looking forward to Windows being in the cloud, and subscription only.

On a related topic, if EA and Maxis allow offline gameplay in their SimCity 2.0 patch... I'm buying it. And I will most likely enjoy the game, and urge others to buy it. But if they keep the current DRM system, I will never pay for the product.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I find this attitude funny but indicative of the normal way of thinking here,
ironically enough it also goes along the lines of lets take all the guns away
thinkers, their thought process is that because things have worked so far
(if you can call whats been going down working, i remember a time not long
ago when many of those cities had power issues), so they will keep working
forever, but as one of the comments points out, many folks, myself included
have either a limited connection or no high speed options at all, mine so
happens to be bandwidth limited, also there has been much talk about
making every connection in the U.S. bandwidth limited.

The idea that everyone has internet and its always on and always unlimited
is a short sighted and foolish way to do business, but hey money talk and
many of those always on DRM games do not do so well, they will figure
it out one way or the other. The problem i have with all this is that if i buy
a game, they should not be able to take away my ability to use the product
i have just purchased, whether it be a direct decision on their part of simply
because they made it so that i have to be connected to use it, if i buy something
i want to be able to use it i mean if that has to be explained what is wrong with
these people...... ugh it feels like we are all talking to a bunch of spoiled two
year olds who found a toy that doesn't belong to them..... MINE!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Friend of mine has been playing with the devkit for the next Xbox lately, and yep, it looks like it is going to have to be online all the time.

No confirmation if this is deliberately to kill the second hand market, but that certainly seems likely.

He reckons the PS4 is going to be online only too though, and both Sony and MS are going to move together to annihilate the second hand market.

Certainly if one is and the other isn't, it pretty much guarantees who is going to win the next gen war, that's for sure. People love their second hand games.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
You mean.... there are people that arent online all the time?

my pc has been always online for ... eternity ...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc
Although I agree with Beardy boy in the video I think he watched way too much WWF.

He had all the moves, the beard stroke, the upward clenched fist, the side on shot and the overly dramatised hand movements

I just waited for the "You know what I'm saying Mean Gene"..

All that aside, as a person who was there at the very start of the home computer times with my ZX80, Atari 800, Vic 20 etc etc I simply cannot see how forcing a player online is going to market well. Its like a console company only allowing players to purchase games they made in house and making them watch all the wonderful 3rd party titles being played on other systems.

Even the early adopters who get a machine straight away will dump the Xbox 720 or whatever its called if this is the case, many others will simply watch it crumble and buy either a top end PC or a PS4.

As for the elitist snob "why would I want to live there", I suggest MS either downgrade or sack him, he's sent serious shock waves through the Xbox community and as MS has not said they won't be using always online I suspect that IS the way they are going and I think we can wave goodbye to the Xbox's backside as it sails straight into the sunlight and into an iceberg.

Other human players make for the best AI

That's why Microsoft wants online gaming. Playing against other humans does make for more interaction.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
You know something?So what.I dislike Microsoft so much I wont buy their game consoles or use their operating systems.I'll tell you what the big deal is;if your Xbox is always connected to play they have 24 hr surveillance in yo0ur home.Microsoft sucks;always have,always will along with their #@%$^ cofounder.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dellmonty
I'll tell you what the big deal is;if your Xbox is always connected to play they have 24 hr surveillance in yo0ur home.Microsoft sucks;always have,always will along with their #@%$^ cofounder.

I remember a thread about something like that. Looks like its becoming a reality. Always-online. Wouldn't think any company would be stupid enough to force DRM at that level, but as recent games have shown (eg. SimCity), they are willing to go that far. And probably even further.

While I don't see why anyone would want to spy on me, and doubt that they would have the patience to do it 24/7, I can see hackers taking advantage of this, and the FBI et al. doing monitoring without warrants.

What did Paul Allen do though? I'll look it up, else the question may derail the whole thread.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell
Other human players make for the best AI

That's why Microsoft wants online gaming. Playing against other humans does make for more interaction.

We already have online gaming. And nobody is against making online gaming even more immersive, and a lot better. But we still want some offline games as well. Single player games. Games that we can play even when Live, or the PS network is down. Consoles that can be turned on even when living in a location without internet.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

It's sad really. I'm a big fan of halo, but with all the controversy surrounding Microsoft (GMO's and such) Bill Gates can suck on my flacid member. I've always hated windows as an OS. Now they are telling ME the consumer I have to deal with the multitude of problems the new console will cause? I'm going back to playstation and I hope we can all pull together to make this multinational corporation bankrupt.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
in response to the OP, here's an Idea DON't BUY IT THEN, we are the consumers they can't force you to buy it. If a majority of people refuse to buy the product, then they wont make any money. Then they will either be forced to conform to the consumers demand, or the company will lose money/go out of business.

I haven't and wont buy windows 8 because of all the crappy features.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
On line activation is an outright pain, I agree and resisted it as long as I could, Game's are not really cheaper on line for a start especially on steam but it remains' the best on line system for pc user's and there is the advantage that the patch's are readily updated but hey why don't they just release the software when it is finished rather than pushing faulty product's onto the market in order to keep publisher's happy.

On the PC we now have steam (hate it but it is the best), Games for windows' live which had morphed into window's market place and is now integrated into window's 8 to the fury of many consumer's, Origin from EA and several other's that actually drove many PC user's onto console's only to encounter this with SONY and MICROSOFT, so yeah what can we do, well we can stop buying there bugged programme's and save the money, go an tinker with car engine's in a workshop instead, they have a monopoly and will always abuse there power in that position.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Let me stress I hate the cloud and really dislike the idea of not having the physical cd/dvd to be able to access the games when ever I want. But I have a feeling something big is on the way that will make it impossible to ignore or get around this issue. Companies like Microsoft don't commit financial suicide on propose, windows 8 isn't a dream come true" I believe its a beta test for something else" and implementing the same bs into the xbox which is pretty much their sole bread winner amounts to corpricide lol corpricide is made up word for the death of a corporation. Why would they knowingly kill themselves off? They rule the console gaming industry? All Microsoft has to do is put a faster processor and GPU repackage the exterior of the xbox and gamers will drool and fork out 600 dollars, then 60 dollars for every game, 200 for the new kinect , 60 to 80 dollars for the headset, 10 dollars a month for the xbox live

Something is about to change drastically A: Microsoft will die off and when it does the shock waves from its death will shake up the tech industry B: A total game changing idea is on the horizon and they know they have you by the short and danglies.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace

edit on 5-4-2013 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

^^ This guy really needs to get a life.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
He's an idiot, and not a spokesman for Microsoft. They've since apologised and pointed this out, they also said a development roadmap has not been released so it may not be always online.

I really hope it isn't, they could learn a thing or two from EA and Sim City. I've been a loyal Xbox fan for about 10 years, but if they do this then I may switch to the PS4, Microsoft would be letting Sony defeat them in the console war.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by NeoSpace

edit on 5-4-2013 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

^^ This guy really needs to get a life.

He has several good points though.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08
in response to the OP, here's an Idea DON't BUY IT THEN, we are the consumers they can't force you to buy it. If a majority of people refuse to buy the product, then they wont make any money. Then they will either be forced to conform to the consumers demand, or the company will lose money/go out of business.

I haven't and wont buy windows 8 because of all the crappy features.

I have windows 8 it is basically a smart phone operating system lol, Like I said I believe is a beta test for something. I really feel the apple operating system is just a mess always has been and I refuse to pay for apple products they are the most overpriced, over hyped pieces of junk on the market. Apple can attribute its success to it overpriced status symbol products and the fact that its been Microsoft who has been in the trenches for years fighting its battles against viruses, malware, hackers ect. Now some people will say its because of the way Microsoft set up their operating systems which it isn't lol. It was based on the fact that 90 percent of the people online for 20 something years had been using windows so it was smarter to learn how to exploit windows based systems then macs.

Funny side note remember when apple had those pc vs mac commercials and the apple guy stated he doesn't get viruses lol A week later that apple operating system had 100,000 new viruses and couple months later apple released its new operating system. Just wait for the crap storm that's brewing once apple products start getting singled out which will happen when a large portion of businesses switch over to apple

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join