It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Criminal 'Sentenced To Be Paralysed'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff
reply to post by DarknStormy

Eye for an eye is Hammurabi's code. The God of Abraham endorsed similar ideals. We can leave religion out of this. You know what else the sharia thinks is good? Eating and breathing. Shall we stop doing that too to protest sharia? Go ahead, you first

So whats your suggestion to harsher criminal punishments? Chopping hands off for stealing, a lashing here and there, how can the punishments become harder than spending years in Jail?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Creepy it is = That's the point!!!! Question: Would you commit a crime if you knew that you would have the same outcome of the indivudual you commited the crime against??? Answer = I think not...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdchop
reply to post by Biigs

Creepy it is = That's the point!!!! Question: Would you commit a crime if you knew that you would have the same outcome of the indivudual you commited the crime against??? Answer = I think not...

Okay then. I'm a serial killer who has got away with killing 16 people and eating their vital organs, but you've finally caught up with me and I've very helpfully provided you with details that help establish my previous victims... are you now going to share my organs out among the victims' families? What if they don't want to eat my organs? Will they be offered up to volunteers?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Chopping hands off for stealing is not fair,unless you stole someone's hand while it was still attached to their wrist. And lashings could be too severe or too light relative to the crime committed. What I'm suggesting isn't rocket science, you just seem to worry more about protecting criminals in the name of fighting Sharia law. What if we called my system Karmic law, would you protest then?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

It's not about "protecting criminals," it's about protecting society from going down the road of re-enactment of the most brutal of crimes on their perpetrators and sleeping with an easy conscience.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

Protecting society implies that it is in a desirable state of homeostasis, if you will. I am saying our society is sick. I am talking about improving society

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Chopping hands off for stealing is not fair,unless you stole someone's hand while it was still attached to their wrist. And lashings could be too severe or too light relative to the crime committed. What I'm suggesting isn't rocket science, you just seem to worry more about protecting criminals in the name of fighting Sharia law. What if we called my system Karmic law, would you protest then?

Its not rocket science yet what differences are you thinking about? How would you punish criminals harsher than what they get now?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
sorry if this is thread hijacking...but, since we're at the subject of "an eye for an eye"...why would that be a bad policy ?

Granted...it does sound a bit medieval...but...

If a crime is committed...willingly...with such a dire consequences (like getting a boy paralysed)...wouldn't it be fair to put the criminal through the same process that he put through his victim. Wouldn't that be a just punishment ?

And why isn't it a good idea ?

I understand your logic but you just get another cripple. Its institutionalised cruelty. Two wrongs don't make a right. The criminal here was only 14. Who is going to support him? People do bad things when they are unhappy, angry, mad. It is unlikely to stop this sort of thing happening again. Just imagine if you had this type of sharia law in the USA.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yep ... punishments that go overboard or that are based on some religion ... or that are administered by 'mob mentality' .... yet another reason why a good secular rule of law is what should be running the world. Secular common sense laws DEVOID of anything religious or of mob-mentality.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Protecting society implies that it is in a desirable state of homeostasis, if you will.

Not necessarily, if you are protecting it from itself.

I am saying our society is sick. I am talking about improving society

And you think that can be achieved by getting non-criminals to behave the same way as criminals, as long as it's done in the name of justice?
edit on 4-4-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
So, the lesson seems to be, if you don't want the Saudi govt going medieval on yo ass, you'd better be able to afford to compensate any victim of a crime you are convicted for.

That sounds OK to me. Criminals should compensate their victims. Some criminals need incentive to do so.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Double post please delete.
edit on 4-4-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited because of double post.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Yes, I do. Call me crazy but I think a criminal will think twice before stabbing someone in the spine if he knows his spinal cord will be severed as well. As it is, he takes a gamble and often wins.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

reply to post by buster2010

Do you want rapists to receive the same punishment too?

Yes,preferably with a white hot poker.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yes, I do. Call me crazy but I think a criminal will think twice before stabbing someone in the spine if he knows his spinal cord will be severed as well. As it is, he takes a gamble and often wins.

You're putting a lot of faith in the reasoning abilities of violent felons. Care to tell me what this faith is based on?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nake13

reply to post by buster2010

Do you want rapists to receive the same punishment too?

Yes,preferably with a white hot poker.

So, you've no qualms about official punishers getting creative in their administration of justice? That's nice.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Everyone says that instating a like-for-like justice system would deter people from committing crimes.

If I were the lawmaker and truly felt that only pyrrhic justice would be 100% effective (which I don't), I'd make concessions if the person was reformed and/or remorseful. Otherwise I'd be instating a damnation-on-earth system where the human desire for revenge is the sole motivator of justice.

edit on 4-4-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There is actually something of justice in the eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth principle.

If that applied in America, do you think the crime would be as high? You kill - you die. You steal my TV, I take yours. You kill my child..... ah, ok.... so there are some flaws. But I still like the principle over the western ideal of criminal rights and slaps on the wrist for crime.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

This "faith"of mine is based on the law of self-preservation. That and common sense.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

This "faith"of mine is based on the law of self-preservation. That and common sense.

Sounds intriguing. Do elaborate.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join