Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Saudi Criminal 'Sentenced To Be Paralysed'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Pretty brutal punishment, but an equally brutal crime. Who are we to judge the Saudi's values?

Not really sure why it is even any of our business, though it is interesting to look at.

Personally I think it is greed, inequalities such as standard of living or lack of education that lead people to commit most crimes and fear of punishment is not much of a deterrent.

link   
Weird triple post - that's a first. Must be a glitch in the monitoring script.
edit on 4/5/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

link   
Weird triple post - that's a first.
edit on 4/5/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

sock puppet?!? lol.. say what you want about me but i can have a debate with resorting to name calling..so who is civilized and who is barbaric again?
edit on 5-4-2013 by riffraff because: left out little because nothing on me is little,nor am i a sock..and i speak for myself so im not exactly a puppet either...gosh you are really bad at this

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff

sock puppet?!? lol.. say what you want about me but i can have a debate with resorting to name calling..so who is civilized and who is barbaric again?
edit on 5-4-2013 by riffraff because: left out little because nothing on me is little,nor am i a sock..and i speak for myself so im not exactly a puppet either...gosh you are really bad at this

Really bad at what? Don't you see how barbaric your views are? I knew Islam was growing fast in the USA but I was expecting it take over in about 35 years, not 2013.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I have to admit that I personally view this as brutal and barbaric... although I am not sure on the term barbaric, given that my barbaric ancestors of the 6th century where writing laws to try and prevent the cycle of violence eye for an eye retribution causes..

While I can not claim to know what the perfect system would look like I can say that I believe this is not it.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

this will be my last post to you, which is one more than you deserve considering you cannot say your piece without getting emotional and calling me names. now read this next part nice and slow because i won't say it again:
i am not a muslim. i do not want sharia law. i do not want church and state united. i do not want inequality of the sexes. i do not want religion dictating our laws. i want justice. you asked me if i believe in second chances for violent criminals? HELL NO! if you are a violent criminal i believe you should carry out your full sentence.after the FULL sentence is served, then a second chance is in order.
to all those saying eye for an eye doesnt work, guess what: OUR CURRENT JUDICIAL SYSTEM IS A COMPLETE FAILURE,CORRUPT AND INEFFICIENT. do you have any idea how many sentences are shortened due to overpopulation? our prisons have become a revolving door for career criminals because they know the system favors the bad guys. eye for an eye looks pretty appealing in comparison.
ask the man in the wheelchair who got the better end of the deal. ten years in prison or a lifetime of paralysis. all you have done to prove your point is equate hunting accidents with intentional stabbings and call me silly names all out of some irrational fear of muslims and sharia law. if you cant see how flawed your logic is all i can say is i just might not be the one who is a barbaric sock puppet, mate
edit on 5-4-2013 by riffraff because: paragraphs are easier to read

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by w810i
So those of you who think this is a barbaric act and not right, let's ask the friend who ended up in the chair for the rest of his life because of this sociopath. Ever known anyone who is in wheelchair permanently? They have to teach their bodies to pee and crap on a set schedule, and tough luck if they are not in near a restroom at that specific time. Their body will go anyways regardless. Couple that with pressure sores,muscles wasting away, ya that's one hell of a life to live because of this ahole. So ya I'm all for putting him in the same exact position he put his friend in.

this. i quoted this because it needs repeating and i fear it might be missed in all the name calling and arguing. people dont think enough about the victims and evey word of what you said is gospel truth.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Saudi Criminal 'Sentenced To Be Paralysed'

news.sky.com

A man in Saudi Arabia is waiting to be forcibly paralysed in punishment for a crime which left his victim in a wheelchair, it has emerged.

When he was 14, Ali al Khawaher stabbed a friend in the spine, paralysing him from the waist down, Amnesty International said.

The London-based human rights group said Mr al Khawaher, now 24, has spent 10 years in jail waiting to be paralysed surgically unless his family pays one million Saudi riyals (£180,000) to the victim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Neo-conservatives badmouth Chavez, while leftwingers attack Israel. Neither has the courage to attack the Saudi leaders who have corrupted the planet with oil, money and religious fanaticism.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
To the people that think this is barbaric. Ponder these:

Convicted murderer serves only 12 years
abclocal.go.com.../local&id=7790506

7 years for road rage murder
www.mysanantonio.com...

1 year in prison for rape and sodomy of 4 year old
newsok.com...

8 years in prison for raping 2 year old
www.komonews.com...

Or how about this guy?
www.michigandaily.com...

Probation for murder
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Raping 5 year olds only gets this guy probation
www.lazylightning.org...

Here's another swell guy
thatssogangster.blogspot.com...

Compare this to marijuana convictions for example
www.hipforums.com...

This shouldn't even be up for debate. Eye for an eye is definitely needed in this country.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
People always seem to forget about the quality of life for the victim and always focus on the punishment of the accused. Why should this man not share in the same quality of life his friend now
enjoys??
edit on 5-4-2013 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by shanegm

You indicate failings in the justice system and then say you want to introduce an "eye for an eye" system? It's obvious it can't even be trusted with the one it has, so why would you want to give it more extreme powers?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

No I'm showing the weakness in our system.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shanegm

Failings, weaknesses... they're both the same thing, aren't they? So, again, why would you give a system with such apparent weaknesses the legal power to start administering "like for like" punishments?

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I think I can answer for him. It is because we want like-for-like punishment. We still want to be tried by a jury of our peers. They way I see it, we wouldn't be giving anymore power to a judge. Hell, the current reality is when you step into the courtroom the judge is a demigod. Anything he says goes. Anything. I've had enough misdemeanors and survived a divorce. I have seen with my own eyes how unjust a judge can be. If anything eye-for-an-eye gives more power to the offender, because he decides his own fate. If the offender doesn't want to be shot, he shouldn't shoot anyone. Unless it was self-defense ,of course ,which is up to the jury of peers is to decide. It's really not hard to understand. If you think I am barbaric like the other guy keeps calling me I would remind you that I am not a violent criminal. The guy who stabbed his friend in the spine is barbaric and should be judged as such.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Originally posted by shanegm

Failings, weaknesses... they're both the same thing, aren't they? So, again, why would you give a system with such apparent weaknesses the legal power to start administering "like for like" punishments?

The guy above me that replied to your post is right but I also meant the weak attitude towards offenders. Prisoners being able to basically get any drugs they want, being able to buy cigs, tv's, radios ext in commissary, get to work out, play basketball and get 3 full meals a day.
edit on 8-4-2013 by shanegm because: None
edit on 8-4-2013 by shanegm because: None

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

As you are directing your posts at all those who consider this barbaric, then I guess as that includes me I'll try to explain where I am coming from..

Have you considered the victim in your stance? or at least the large number of victims that already harbour strong feeling that they might (rightly or wrongly) be partially responsible for what happened to them? do you feel justice for them is best served by heaping yet more guilt that harm is now being inflicted on someone else.

What about the negatives? how many of the people inhabiting the criminal system are innocent and would be on the receiving end of eye-for-an-eye justice.. is it worth brutalising/harming/abusing/torturing them for the sake of wider society? would then it not be right and proper if they where later found innocent to then inflict the same violence on the jury? where does the cycle of violence end?

Which brings me to blood feuds that go with retribution/vengeance based justice system? you don't think the Anglo-Saxons where being all modern in the 6th century when they wrote laws to avoid eye-for-an-eye justice.. it was to break the cycle of retribution that goes with this type of system.. I can not see this system being used on most countries and not invoking the age old, you harm my child/partner/father/mother (whether they where guilty or not) and it not invoking the notion of "I'll be out for you."..

Perhaps it is shameful to admit, but I will admit that if someone harmed my child that I would respond in kind, whether my child is the victim being harmed by a perpetrator or the perpetrator being harmed by the people, your still harming my child and I will still respond in kind.

What about the risks of mob justice, why would people bother to wait for a court to inflict abuse on an abuser, when they could simply do it there and then when they find/capture said abuser?

For my mind most current systems are completely broken, no consistency, and poor sentencing processes with few feeling justice has been served, but retreating into eye-for-an-eye is in my opinion a dangerous response to a major problem that does need resolving.
edit on 8/4/13 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Your entitled to you opinion, I'm not telling you how to feel or think because as much as I may call you barbaric, I do understand that what you are implying may actually work at the same time. It's just I don't believe this should be implemented in our countries.. But next time, don't quote me in a post to someone else.. Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Answer me this anyone:;

What would your punishment be to a man who injected acid into the arm of another man? Would this be a violent crime to you? Now answer because there is a reason why a man done this here in Victoria, Australia.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I AM NOT YELLING. PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS, I'M JUST NOT QUOTE SAVVY AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN YOUR STATEMENT AND MY REPLY.

Have you considered the victim in your stance? or at least the large number of victims that already harbour strong feeling that they might (rightly or wrongly) be partially responsible for what happened to them? do you feel justice for them is best served by heaping yet more guilt that harm is now being inflicted on someone else.

I GUESS I ASSUMED THE VICTIMS WANTED JUSTICE. PERSONAL FEELINGS ASIDE, IN OUR CURRENT SYSTEM IF SOMEONE COMMITS A FELONY THE VICTIM HAS NO CHOICE. THE STATE WILL PRESS CHARGES EVEN IF THE VICTIM DOESN'T. SO I FAIL TO SEE HOW EYE FOR EYE IS ANY WORSE.

What about the negatives? how many of the people inhabiting the criminal system are innocent and would be on the receiving end of eye-for-an-eye justice.. is it worth brutalising/harming/abusing/torturing them for the sake of wider society? would then it not be right and proper if they where later found innocent to then inflict the same violence on the jury? where does the cycle of violence end?

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE WRONGFULLY CONVICTED UNDER OUR CURRENT SYSTEM? HOW MANY INNOCENTS HAVE BEEN EXECUTED OR GIVEN LIFE SENTENCES? DOES THE JURY GET EXECUTED UNDER OUR CURRENT SYSTEM WHEN THEY FIND AN INNOCENT MAN GUILTY OF CAPITAL MURDER?

Perhaps it is shameful to admit, but I will admit that if someone harmed my child that I would respond in kind, whether my child is the victim being harmed by a perpetrator or the perpetrator being harmed by the people, your still harming my child and I will still respond in kind.

YES, I FIND THAT SHAMEFUL TOO. SO UNLESS I'M ILLITERATE, THIS STATEMENT IS AN ADMISSION THAT IF/WHEN YOUR CHILD IS FOUND GUILTY OF MURDER AND SENTENCED, YOU WILL MURDER THE JUDGE, JURY, AND EXECUTIONER. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT LETTING YOUR EMOTIONS OVERRIDE YOUR LOGIC AND COMMITTING MASS MURDER. YET I AM THE ONE WITH BARBARIC VIEWS?...I MYSELF AM A FATHER. MY DAUGHTER IS THE LIGHT OF MY WORLD. I WOULD DIE FOR HER WITHOUT HESITATION. BUT KILL INNOCENTS WHEN SHE HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY? NO.. I WOULD JUST CRY FOR THE REST OF MY SHORT, LIGHT-LESS LIFE.

What about the risks of mob justice, why would people bother to wait for a court to inflict abuse on an abuser, when they could simply do it there and then when they find/capture said abuser?

FOR THE SAME REASON THEY DON'T DO THAT NOW. BECAUSE THE STATE HASN'T APPOINTED THEM JUDGE, JURY, OR EXECUTIONER.

For my mind most current systems are completely broken, no consistency, and poor sentencing processes with few feeling justice has been served, but retreating into eye-for-an-eye is in my opinion a dangerous response to a major problem that does need resolving.

I AGREE. EXCEPT OUR CURRENT SYSTEM HAS THE SAME, EXACT, MIRROR-IMAGE FLAWS AND THEN SOME AS EYE FOR EYE.. FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, EYE FOR EYE IS HANDS DOWN THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS..

Again, I am very, very sorry for the all caps. i know its is considered rude but my intentions are not.if anything, its comical. if someone could tell me how to quote like i am trying to do i would appreciate it.
edit on 8/4/13 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)
edit on 8-4-2013 by riffraff because: i cant use ATS's quoting format.
edit on 8-4-2013 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join