It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to do good after you die? Donate people donate.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Welcome Charles always good to hear from you.

Granted the medical care you get is different than we do in the UK, we have the NHS so we do not have to pay for the treatment (we do in taxes but we do not mind that).
Every medical professional I know (worked in healthcare) goes into the Job not for money but for the sense of duty to others who are sick, I know I did.
This is just about helping those who need it most, I do not need any part of my body when I die but others do.
Sure their will be horror stories and cock ups but you have to weigh up things If you can help someone live after you die why wouldn't you do that?.
It is the moral and right thing to do.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Dear boymonkey74,

Thanks for your welcome and thoughtful response. I totally agree with you. After you're dead, no problem. Do as you please with the remains.

I just don't want the "after you're dead" part to come about prematurely. I suppose that can be partially protected against by various legal means including health care powers of attorney and advance directives. So, as I say, I agree with you 99%.

Can I help it if I have one very bizarre and unfounded fear? (Only I don't think it's so unfounded. That's the paranoia coming out.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

OP, this is.. amazingly refreshing to see a thoughtful and not S/F glomming thread. We should have a 'humanitarian star' for this one. BUT..

[Oh, no.. here it comes!]

I may sound crazy, but Charles already said what i thought. Yes, I am an organ donor on my driver's license.. but every time it comes up that I have to decide yes or no.. the paranoid thoughts roll in 'But what if they'd rather I die so they can harvest my organs for someone/something else?'

Would it happen?

I don't know.. would a government in this day and age actually freeze their citizens money in order to take it?

The answer to question 1 is.. foggy.
We all know the answer to question 2.

S*F OP, you're officially being followed by someone with two thumbs and a huge grin. This guy.

- Fim

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Fimbulvetr

Thanks but it isn't about me It is about the message
So just flag it all to keep it alive I need no stars.

I know you and Charles have me worried now
but maybe If we didn't need a card and you had to opt out to not have your organs removed then no one is going to actively let you die to get precious organs because we would have enough to go round and so cutting out the demand but not the supplies If you get my drift.
Then problem solved

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

A nominate you for the ATS Ambassador for Humanitarian Organomics to the U.N. You make sense, you make me feel a spot less paranoid about the creepy medics poking me with the 'Is he dead?' stick..

And yes, if everyone were willing to donate organs there would NOT be a shortage and I would NOT have to consider that my kidneys are top-dollar on the black market. It sounds like a wonderful world you're looking at.

How much is the ticket 'cos I'm already on my way to the airport!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fimbulvetr

Humanity FTW !!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I am a donor, but I wish I could make some specifications on who received my organs.
I do not want my organs going to someone like Larry Hagman.
Rich celebrity who drank away his liver and and basically purchased a new liver by bumping others down the list even though they were a perfect match for the liver he received. There where others that were matches ahead of him on the list but couldn't cough up the dough to match his bidding price.

I want my organs going to someone who truly deserves it. It is a shame I can't guarantee it, but I could always come back and haunt someone who received my organs undeservingly right?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I am an organ donor, but unfortunately I cannot donate blood because I have chronic microcytic anemia that has nearly taken my life. I love the idea however of giving one of my organs to someone.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

I want my organs going to someone who truly deserves it. It is a shame I can't guarantee it, but I could always come back and haunt someone who received my organs undeservingly right?

I hope mine are in good enough shape to be useful.
2nd

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

Don't forget that they can use your skin to help burns victims...well done btw

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Discovery Magazine did an article on the beating heart donors.The biggest problem I have is that some of your organs have to be taken while you're still technically alive. On top of that, some don't even use anesthetics. But as long as they declare you brain dead it's humane...

Beating heart Donors

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm a full body donor as well. I made that decision after discovering that I could not legally be put in a hole in the Earth without any preservation measures or casket. I wanted to simply be absorbed back into nature and for every part of me to be used in some fashion, even if only as worm food and plant fertilizer. But since I can't do that, and sprinkling my ashes somewhere wouldn't really achieve the same effect, I decided to donate my body. That way hopefully someone somewhere will make use of it.

If nothing else, they can study the brain of someone with Asperger's and the lungs of someone with asthma and the spine of someone with fused vertebra

Peace.
edit on 4/4/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I currently have my body for Donation, my family doesn't know... but i'm thinking of retracting the offer... i seen several mal-practice photos online where coroners take photos and abuse corpses... and i do not want to be one of them...

It rarely happens but it happens.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Funeral directors could do the same..I knew a Grave digger and he told me some horror stories.
Oh and tell your family If you decide to donate.
edit on 4-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Organ donation is something I've never considered to be NOT an option, if that makes sense. In the back of my mind, it was something I knew I would get around to arranging, but never did. But just have, thanks to this thread.
And as a non-driver, I have fewer worries about being in a car accident etc, and being sneakily harvested.
There was enough controversy regarding the secret harvest of stillborn baby organs, if more people donated, such extreme practises wouldn't be necessary.

As for my body being disrespected after my death, hoping that by the time I pop off to another realm, I'm old and grey, it would probably be the most action I would have seen in years

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It is a tragedy when someone will die without a suitable doner but I always remember a story about a promising young student whom took a gap year in the 1970's he went to France and was knocked down by a car and rushed to a private medical hospital were he was used for his heart, kidney's, cornea and several other organ's,.
When his parent's received his body back they demanded an autopsy which showed severe concussion but no evidence of brain death, he had NHS Blood Doner card on him,.

I heard this from a person whom remembers it.

We have recently had a law change to sweeten the sell off of the N H S to private medical firm's were unless you OPT OUT they have the right to take your organ's anyway if they DECIDE you are beyond saving, cue lot's of working class doners and a few wealthy recipiant's eh.

I am not against organ donation and am a blood doner myself but I want it to go back to an opt in system for ethical and moral safety ground's.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have registered and my family are all aware that I wish to be an organ donor.....

I think as you have already mentioned it is also important for people to give blood if they can and are willing. Also many people with life threatening condition's need platelet transfusion's which is the blood clotting element of blood. My daughter as had around 30 blood and platelet transfusion's and we owe a lot to those who kindly took the time to donate.

There are other thing's that people can do to help those suffering with a life threatening illness who will die without help.....and you don't have to wait until you are dead and gone to do it! As already mentioned above giving blood is one of them. There is also a worldwide register for bone marrow/ stem cell donation which give's a chance at life for people who have blood cancer's such as leukaemia etc. I feel strongly about it because whilst spending time on a children's oncology ward I have seen a few children given a chance at life after a donor match as been found.

I'm not trying to take away from the sentiment's of the OP....I whole heartedly agree with organ donation. Just offering some further information

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Howdy sweetpea

I agree with you, next time I give blood (in 2 weeks) I will offer my bone marrow and stem cells also.
I know the operation may be painful but heck If I can help anyone have a better standard of living a little bit of pain is a small price.

Great Video btw
love your all your kin and I send a little bit of Monkey Magic to your daughter

Just tried to register with AN but I am 38 so I will do it through the NHS.
edit on 7-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

errrmmm...I've just had a thought that the vid's I posted both related to the Anthony Nolan trust for bone marrow donation...and you can't become a donor with them over the age of 30...not that I am calling you an old bugger or anythink like that
lol But yeah if you ask them when they give blood the British Bone Marrow registry run by the NHS accept's donor's upto 49 year's of age.
It quite literally save's live's. Whilst I hope that one day as a result of my death someone may be given a new chance at life...If I was ever to be a match and could do something to save someone's life while I am still breathing then I would consider it an honour!

Oh and cheer's for the dose of monkey magic....one can never have enough

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Just got my appointment from the NHS to get my bone marrow tested

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join