It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How on ATS do we Really deconstruct disinformation? It's in every thread...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Tell me if I'm wrong,but when I do post in a serious thread with facts,it's ignored.
I know,I have sucked at it lately,or maybe always,but when someone posts a link without first " vetting" it out,you know,look for the original source of the story instead of taking it at face value has gotten to the point that I don't care anymore.

The culture of this site has seem have drifted towards let them wallow around in the unsourced hearsay to get some page views,then maybe correct them.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

The culture of this site has seem have drifted towards let them wallow around in the unsourced hearsay to get some page views,then maybe correct them.

Yeah, then next step :
Get insulted by hideously misinformed OP.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I understand where your coming from Chamber~

I know from my experience and studies and my gut what is BS and what isn't..........

That statement alone from your OP says it all. What differentiates your Experiances and your gut feeling, from someone else's?

Intution is a winding road, yet they all lead to Rome~!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The old timers commented on it.
The transition was about 2 years.
Only the cowboys remain.

2-3 yrs ago.

Luv that comment

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
How can you be so sure that attempts to deconstruct "disinfo" are not disinfo attempts in and of themselves?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I would estimate of ALL recently made threads that about 80% is disinformation whether through intentional means or simple ignorance.

Just MY estimation IMHO.

I think you estimation is very very conservative.

I think it is above 95% of threads that are just pure mis-information. The worst part about it is that when people go in to correct the false information, they are trashed for being dis-info agents.

This is a conspiracy board...people WANT a conspiracy...even when there isn't any. If you try to "ruin" their fantasy with facts and logic...you will be labled a government agent.

The content lately has become more of a listing of what is NOT happening in the world and a way to know what false information is being attempted to be spread.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

If you're not into conspiracies then WTH are you doing on here? Like to argue with total strangers? Like to prove yourself right and others wrong (a clearly egoic thought pattern and dysfunctional)?

If you're not into gold do you hang out in a gold forum and try to prove them wrong? If you're not into bigfoot do you hang out in a bigfoot forum and try to prove them wrong?

I'm not questioning your right to post here, I just can't grasp the mental/emotional payoff.

edit on 2-4-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
reply to post by xedocodex

If you're not into conspiracies then WTH are you doing on here? Like to argue with total strangers? Like to prove yourself right and others wrong (a clearly egoic thought pattern and dysfunctional)?

If you're not into gold do you hang out in a gold forum and try to prove them wrong? If you're not into bigfoot do you hang out in a bigfoot forum and try to prove them wrong?

I'm not questioning you're right to post here, I just can't grasp the mental/emotional payoff.

Who said I'm not into conspiracies? There are legitimate conspiracies in the world...there are legitimate discussions to be had about government, UFOs, paranormal activity....but not everything is a conspiracy.

Let's take Bigfoot for example...I am "in" to the Bigfoot stuff. But I am interested in it BECAUSE it is a mystery. You won't find me claiming it is 100% true or 100% false...and when people do make a thread that claim they know for sure that Bigfoot is 100% true or false, that is what I take exception to. If someone posts a video of a blur on a video camera and claims it was Bigfoot...and someone comes in to offer a different explanation...they freak out and claim they are just trying to be a debunker.

If you aren't open to the possibility that your favorite "conspriacy" might not really be a "conspiracy"....then this is the type of people I have a problem with.

But the attitude of "well if you aren't into conspiracies, why are you here" has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Someone can be here because they are interested in the topics but they also think logically about the "conspiracies" and don't just swallow all the BS that is thrown out there. Sometimes a UFO is a chinese lantern...sometimes a bigfoot sighting is just a bear....maybe Obama really isn't secretly trying to destroy America...maybe we did in fact land on the moon.

The discussion of these topics is what is important...not coming here with a blind acceptance of all these theories and telling others that don't blindly accept them that they have no place here.
edit on 2-4-2013 by xedocodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

I think you estimation is very very conservative.

I think it is above 95% of threads that are just pure mis-information. The worst part about it is that when people go in to correct the false information, they are trashed for being dis-info agents.

This is a conspiracy board...people WANT a conspiracy...even when there isn't any. If you try to "ruin" their fantasy with facts and logic...you will be labled a government agent.

You said in the post above you think greater than 95% of the threads on here were misinformation, and seemed to infer that most were fantasy, not a ringing edorsement for this site.

So you say you do believe in some conspiracies, great!

Most so called "truths" are just perspective. Does the Sun rise in the East every morning? Yes, if you are near the surface of the earth. No if you are in space or on the moon.

The only basic truth is Universal Love which arises from our connectedness, everything else is perspective, and I think judging which theories are worthy of the title "conspiracy" is just ego, which connotates true unawareness, and that is just an observation, not a judgement.

Peace.......

edit on 2-4-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

edit on 2-4-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context

edit on 2-4-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Tell me if I'm wrong,but when I do post in a serious thread with facts,it's ignored.
I know,I have sucked at it lately,or maybe always,but when someone posts a link without first " vetting" it out,you know,look for the original source of the story instead of taking it at face value has gotten to the point that I don't care anymore.

I noticed the same thing. If you don't post anything controversial hardly anyone comments. The deconstructors won't tackle things that are real, there is no challenge. To get a good response you have to throw something out there with a little evidence and have a lot of evidence in reserve to use as fuel for the fire.

Otherwise, people read it and can't add much if it is too complete.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I know I sometimes neglect to add "in my opinion" to my statements, but I didn't know that made them misinformation.
I certainly hope I haven't strayed anyone off of the true path as a result.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I noticed the same thing. If you don't post anything controversial hardly anyone comments. The deconstructors won't tackle things that are real, there is no challenge. To get a good response you have to throw something out there with a little evidence and have a lot of evidence in reserve to use as fuel for the fire.

Otherwise, people read it and can't add much if it is too complete.

That's the reason behind the phenomenon of threadkilling, I think. The loose ends are tied up into such a neat, tight bundle that subsequent would-be comments would pale in magnificence.

Of course, there is no shortage of controversial thoughts on this website, so true threadkillers seem nonexistent.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hi, I can see what your trying to say but would agree that its the special blend of different views that make Ats intresting....BUT when someone tries to force their belief , that is a very different thing and I have seen this on so many of the posts, where some like to link their posts and lable almost everything and everyone as the antichrist, the devil, and Satanists. I cant see how that can be tolerated, where is the evidence that they make such claims of defamation......If it weren't for this then it would be all GOOD

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Ah,so just add a few bread crumbs to keep the conversation going,maybe towards the TRUTH,and at the same time letting the theories carry on.
I keep forgetting the entertainment factor.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
My evaluation of the situation is that when flag and star system was introduced, the level of well written threads began to diminish.
People post for stars and flags 99.9% of the time. Before this system, threads were well researched, intelligent and with intelligent and well thought responses.
Now you have someone making funny remarks and getting starred and it matters to them, those stars.
Before the stars, the funny remarks were genuine, not for a prize.
Now you get internet candy and before 99.9% didn't care about that, they cared about the content of the thread.

That's what I think.
The owners of this site knew what they were doing when they introduced the flag and star system and they will defend it all the way, more traffic....

So, nice thread mate and all very true. It's not like I don't like conspiracies, hell one of my favorite topics is the paranormal. That's not what I'm saying.
Good on you for putting this out there.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaSpy2012

Stars and Flags are definately part of the problem.

If I wanted to, I could create an account today and within a couple months I could be on the top 50 WATS list by posting nothing but anti-Obama threads and posts.

Stars and Flags cater to the lowest common denominator in the population...and so people target that audience with dumbed down rhetoric that they know will make an impact.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6 Is it just me?
edit on 4/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Yes.

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Am i nuts? (ok don't answer that)

yes its possible.

I look back at the "classic" threads from way before my time here and there is actual research, intelligent debate, and REAL issues.

What happened to that?

You just need to look harder there still there, also TPTB disinfo agents and brainwash sheep have just gotten worse over time

OK I'll say it outright:
Are the True believers and Speculative personalities over-talking everyone else, or is it just my perception?

Its just your perception.

Is this just the trend of our society now?

Present your thoughts or personal beliefs as FACT?

Is it just me?

Or am I just getting to sensitive or fed up with it?
edit on 4/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Yes its the trend, logical debates are like sooo last season. Also how do you know the thoughts they present aren't the facts, and the information you regard as truth is really the lie? Yes it is just you, and yes you are too sensitive.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

Wow.

You a troll?

Being sarcastic?

An ignorant ##?

OK you have as much of a right to post anything here as me, but...........

...if you are really "HumanitiesLastHope" ...we may be in trouble.

edit on 4/2/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly that the mounds of disinformation pile up higher than horse crap.

In this "Monsanto company owned list thread" I'm about to give up because it's getting rediculous posting facts about a subject that doesn't matter to me at all.

*member has sent you an e-slap*

Just remember they often use the buddy system and if that doesn't work they attack in packs ramping up the improbability factor of whatever usually OT subject they choose.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

Some Mods do too.

I didn't say that.^^

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join