It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pluto's Gate Uncovered in Turkey

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yet another interesting discovery. Pretty interesting to know that only the eunuchs and cybele were able to enter the gate without any damage to their health due to 'menomation' and 'divine providence'. Not sure much truth it holds.

A “gate to hell” has emerged from ruins in southwestern Turkey, Italian archaeologists have announced.

Known as Pluto's Gate -- Ploutonion in Greek, Plutonium in Latin -- the cave was celebrated as the portal to the underworld in Greco-Roman mythology and tradition.

Historic sources located the site in the ancient Phrygian city of Hierapolis, now called Pamukkale, and described the opening as filled with lethal mephitic vapors...
According to D'Andria, the site was a famous destination for rites of incubation. Pilgrims took the waters in the pool near the temple, slept not too far from the cave and received visions and prophecies, in a sort of oracle of Delphi effect. Indeed, the fumes coming from the depths of Hierapoli's phreatic groundwater produced hallucinations.

“This is an exceptional discovery as it confirms and clarifies the information we have from the ancient literary and historic sources,” Alister Filippini, a researcher in Roman history at the Universities of Palermo, Italy, and Cologne, Germany, told Discovery News.

SOURCE

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Like a movie in the making. Now all we need is some cocky scientist to open it and unleash hell upon earth.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Interesting thread! Though I wonder if it really was some sort of "portal" or if it was all those hallucinations

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Is there any more information on this.......? s/f Anyway

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I must apologize, the first thing I had to look at was the date of the article. This being April 1 I wasn't taking any chances. This is an interesting story by the way, I have always been fascinated by the ancient Greeks and their mythology. S&F from me as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

A “gate to hell” has emerged from ruins in southwestern Turkey,

Riiight... and on the other side of the temple was the other gate... to Heaven.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
"During the early years, the site was considered lethal to all who breathed its toxic vapors; all with the exception of the castrated priests of Cybele, commonly referred to as the Galli. These holy eunuchs bamboozled the general public by creating the illusion that they were immune to the gasses, by either holding their breath or locating pockets of oxygen on the floor.

Scientifically speaking, Pluto’s Gate is no more than a cave full of carbon dioxide gas, which is present as a result of underground geological activity. Yet it was once believed that those who slept near the cave would receive grand visions of prophecies, which were likely just hallucinations caused from too much exposure to the poisonous gas. We’ve all been there.

Scientists say that ever since the Christians attempted to destroy Pluto’s Gate during the 6th Century AD, its existence has been nothing more than a minute figment of some ancient literary and historical texts that are sure to become more clear once a reconstruction of the site is complete."

I have to wonder if a transvestite is willing to try this out or if David Blaine will try to sleep in there.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

its just hallucinations from huffing the fumes there

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

One of the Gates to Under World would be the correct translating adaptation. But lets not intrigue the christian minds nor upset them with differential meanings, after-all twisted minds deserve twisted cosmotheories.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

We probably can't imagine the oddness that went on there.

A significant find and thank you OP.

SnF

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EllasArchaiaDynamis

But I thought the two always occur together? For instance, Bobby Mackey's Music World has both in the same room. There is a door down to Hell on one side...

And on the other a stairway to Heaven...

Balance, Cancel, Intervene

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
Interesting thread! Though I wonder if it really was some sort of "portal" or if it was all those hallucinations

You wonder ???????

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Like in the 80s film "The Gate" starring Steven Dorff? If so, count me in because I love th 80s films...

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. I found a similar hole in my back garden but the deepest I could go was up to my knees.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Really interesting find! And this works on several levels even.

For one it is very fascinating to actually see and find a real life place from these very ancient myths.

PLUS, we can peek into the past and see basically how religions themselves were formed. By the lack of understanding of natural phenomenons. Everyone dies in that spooky cave so it must be a gate to hell, what else could explain that at the time?

Really very interesting!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I was just going to post this but OP already did by just copy/paste without any further research. I actually found some interesting information, but there is no point in helping OP. He did nothing to deserve a flag.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
The smoking entrance looks like it was photoshopped.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Like Indiana Jones discovery...awesome..I like when they find any of that old civilization cities and historic relics.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

S&F Great find, not so keen on visiting though, had enough hallucination for 5 lifetimes

Good things

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragna2099
The smoking entrance looks like it was photoshopped.

You know you might be right ... that would be because it's a 'mock-up' of how the site may have looked back in the day

Woody

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is new as I remember reading about it somewhere ages ago though I might be wrong

Sometimes if digs are in an area of some size they close of bits to look into at a later date or money runs out and they get lost in dusty shelves untill someone goes "hey whatever happened to site number blah blah blah, was it ever finished" you get my drift?

Nice find though its nice to see young people excited about things like this S/F for you

I love those wee funny faces lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join