It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a ghost of a praying nun appeared on a church bell tower in Palermo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

PALERMO – News of a ghost of a praying nun on the church of Santa Maria della Mercede al Capo bell tower has created a lot of buzz in Palermo. Hundreds of people gathered in front of the church. Some of them were there to pray, others just for curiosity.
Everything started with the publication of a photo on social networks.
The ghost seen in pictures is most likely an optical illusion, but as every good ghost story, the history of the place seem to support the mysterious theory.
In fact, in the area there are the forgotten Catacombs of the Capuchin Sisters, built on top of an early Christian cemetery in 1732. The nuns used these catacombs for burials until 1865.
The crypt and the early Christian cemetery still remain unexplored. The entrance to the catacombs has been walled up, hiding hundreds of buried nuns bodies forever.
Is really the restless spirit of a nun wandering inside the church?

Sources:
SudItalianNews
CitizenSide

Probably an optical illusion, but who knows?

More photos can be seen here: Demotix.com: "Sister ghost"

Maybe there's an Italian/Sicilian ATS member that could shed some light on this? ("Silo13"?)

edit on 30-3-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Although I don't speak the language it is clear that 40 seconds in the video you can see it's an illusion created from between the ceiling trusses in the room.

If a nun gets stuck in limbo what chance do I have?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
like i said in another post today, you only need to spook a few to get the whole herd to run.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

but her head moves forward to block out the brick wall. So I do not think so.
Thank yuo OP for posting fantastic pic - but these days I am a bit cynical - photoshop / camera ghost aps etc ?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Did her head really move to block anything? How sure are you after watching this?

CX

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Probably one of those damn ghost apps that my kids have on their phones, makes it looks like there is a ghost in the background when you take a pic.

CX.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

why did you make me watch THAT video - no nun anywhere just an advert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the first picture as presented by the OP her head blocks the view of the wooden beam as she leans forward.
I call fake anyway...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

umm OPs pic more convincing then the supposed visual artifacts in this video - I think phone app.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Although many seem to think this is an optical illusion, I am not one of them, since it seems much to convenient that the "illusion" is that of a Nun.. Seeing a Nun ghost in a place where Nun's once roamed seems likely if one believes in the existance of ghosts, but to call it an optical illusion doesn't make much sense to me because of the odds of there being an illusion to start with. and that it "amazingly" looks exactly like a Nun complete with the garb of the era, would be extremely high odds that it would be that in the first place..

I mean, if it is just an illusion, then why not the illusion of the hat man, or a monkey, or even Ronald McDonald?

Way too convenient that it is a Nun, to me...
What seems even more unreal, is that there seems to be quite a few different photos with this Nun in them, and in one, you can see her head slightly surpasses the edge of the portal, and in another, she is further back inside slightly...
Even though there have been many ghost stories about figures peering out of windows and even a few decent pictures of the events , this is the first time I have seen so many of them with the same entity or figure in them, and they all vary in position and other tiny details making each one a unique perspective..

If these are all genuine and not faked, then it is unique because of the amount of images of that person or figure showing in them... I would say faked long before I would say optical illusion though..

Does anyone else agree with my line of thought on this?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I absolutely agree - i was trying to say that earlier - but I was not quite as clear and eloquent as you were in your explanation.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I checked the source site of the image with the person holding the phone thinking the EXIF data might not have "photoshop" in it like the ats version, but both do, so kinda hard to rule out trickery.. But then that doesn't prove anything either way since I only checked one photo..

Still though, these don't really look like they were faked to me plus the fact that there have been multiple witnesses and picture takers... and the clothes the Nun is wearing seem very convincing because of the style of an older era.
They look much more sophisticated to me than some lame phone ghost app, however.. But I say this only because I am biased against them..

Maybe they are real
I would research these more, but need some rest ..
edit on 30-3-2013 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I did some research about this and just found this video, in Italian, explaining that it's just an optical illusion, created by the white wall behind the black bell and the beams that supports them:

....plus some Pareidolia effect I guess!
edit on 30-3-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I Think in some images it very likely is matrixing and illusion, but not all of the images taken clearly show that, in my opinion..

Maybe both are true? Maybe there really is the spirit of a Nun in some of these images, and in others, just an illusion..

A couple of those images (if they aren't faked, are much too clear to be just crap in the background).. But that is just my point of view.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
reply to post by HelenConway

Did her head really move to block anything? How sure are you after watching this?

Thanks for posting that video. probably the coolest and most entertaining video Ive seen in a while

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Short answer: No. No, "a ghost of a praying nun" did not appear in a church bell tower in Palermo... or anywhere else...ever.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

why did you make me watch THAT video - no nun anywhere just an advert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the first picture as presented by the OP her head blocks the view of the wooden beam as she leans forward.
I call fake anyway...

I didn't make you watch it but my point is our eyes can see something and our brain interprets it wrong. What you think is a nun leaning forward isn't. The cameras movement makes your brain see it that way. Much like the video I linked.

Sorry no nun. None nun.

new topics

top topics

join