It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I came to think about something about religions in the world after doing a study last year:

Facts:

1. Religions have existed for as long as we can consider humans civilized
2. Religious books (Like Bible and Quran) are the most read books in the world
3. Priests had a lot of control over the population for not too long time ago
4. All religions I know of ontain a certain set of rules that are to be followed in order to acchive supreme goal (Heaven, Nirvana, Salvation... whatever else it is)
5. Religion is a really good way of justifying your action (Who can call God and ask him if you are really doing his work?)

Do these facts mean that religion was originally created long time ago as a way of controlling people and we still pay the price? If so, does that make religion(s) the most perfect conspracy ever?

[edit on 2-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
That could certainly be true, all religions preach of a blissful, wonderful, eternal life after death if you follow it's teachings which are ultimately rules such as dont kill, dont steal etc.

overwise what happens?????............you burn in hell(or equivalent) for all eternity- that would be enough to put me off doing anything wrong in my life--- and thats exactly how they want you to think!!

nice 1 Anthrax

[edit on 2-11-2004 by JoeyC]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's the "word" religion....that's gets ya and it's meaning. Lets take the Christian religion....if your going to go by the teaching of Jesus, whom I do believe actually existed, it's a wonderful map to live your life by, if your going to go by the way it has been corrupted by the churches...it's a crock! Jesus had no intention of starting a religion, didn't wish to start a religion, and wasn't overly fond of organized religion...it's funny how he is portrayed with light skin, long hair....both of which is false. I don't believe that you have to go to church to be a good person, of course that would sure put a few out of a job wouldn't it!? Has anyone seen the movie..."Stigmata" interesting subject matter there...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Do these facts mean that religion was originally created long time ago as a way of controlling people and we still pay the price? If so, does that make religion(s) the most perfect conspracy ever?

I think most religions start with 'why are we here?'.. whoever gives it an 'answer' [say in a primitive village] which corresponds with the ignorance/knowedge at the time gets revered.. and with that respect he then becomes a 'priest' of sorts with status....... and of course he tastes power which is where the conspiracy begins.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Good presentation of facts. Whenever we raise the flag of 'conspiracy' the first question that comes to my mind is "what's the motive?" If we can determine that, we can usually find the root cause of a cover-up.

Originally posted by Anthrax

Facts:

1. Religions have existed for as long as we can consider humans civilized
2. Religious books (Like Bible and Quran) are the most read books in the world

The question becomes: why is that? Could it be a lot of good ideas and truths originate from a book such as the Bible?

3. Priests had a lot of control over the population for not too long time ago

I don't think you can 'force' someone to believe something. Especially today when the church depends on donations. So why does religion persist?

4. All religions I know of ontain a certain set of rules that are to be followed in order to acchive supreme goal (Heaven, Nirvana, Salvation... whatever else it is)
5. Religion is a really good way of justifying your action (Who can call God and ask him if you are really doing his work?)

Anyone can. Give it a try. Praying is an excellent way of asking and verifying.

[edit on 2-11-2004 by John bull 1]

Again, I don't see where it did in fact control people's thoughts. Conspiracies are found out and typically takes little time for them to be undeniably debunked.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
First of all I'd like to thank all of you for thye way you responded to this post--I hoped for a discussion-starting response and I got it... Than:

saint4god:

There are many good ideas in Bible and Quran and even the Satan's bible, BUT I wonder what purpose were these books written for? And even if written for the good of men who lived by them, how did the writer not se that they could be twisted, re-written and misunderstood by those who benifit from it?

The priests did not FORCE people to belive their god(s), yet they had a great deal of influence and in some countries they were feared as much as respected.

Next one--exactly my point--YOU can speak to God and imagine that he says that you should, say, kill somebody, so you do that and the question comes: how can it be proven that God did NOT tell you to kill that person? In modern time the police would laugh if you told such a story, but would they, say for 300 years ago if you accused the murdered man of being evil?

As for the last comment--there is no perfect conspiracy, as there is no perfect murder or no perfect good or evil. I don't think religion was meant to control peoples thoughts--neither is dictatorship--but creating a religion could give people power of influence over the others, which takes me back to my point--was THAT what religion was originally made for?

[edit on 2-11-2004 by Anthrax]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyVHas anyone seen the movie..."Stigmata" interesting subject matter there...

[warning spolier [kinda]]

'Break open a rock and I am there.. Split a piece of wood.. and you will find me'.. or something to that affect.. it's pretty vague now. As you know.. it was apparently meant to be the only thing found written by his hand.. every word that is in the bible are from wittnesses.. nothing from him directly- heresay. The scroll disapeared after the catholic church discredited it after some of it was translated.. and thats in REAL life.. and it also inspired a film. It basically meant that you don't need a church to reach him.. would the church really want to show that off?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
[spoiler of life]

What if all known religious books just date back about 500 years ago? And all historical documents supporting these books older than 500 years are just a sham?

It would certainly give the entire world a different perspective on what doctorines control your life.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
[spoiler of life]

What if all known religious books just date back about 500 years ago? And all historical documents supporting these books older than 500 years are just a sham?

It would certainly give the entire world a different perspective on what doctorines control your life.

That would be true, but are the religious books not based on the other, even older documents? Besides, the egyptian symbols in the pyramides, for example, can be considered an early form of religious books.

top topics

join