It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Moon was replaced with other planets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Came across this video today and I thought it was a cool video.

Okay so impossible I know as no doubt the gravitational pull from these planets would destroy life as we know it, but I think it demonstrates the vast differences in the size of the planets really well.

edit on 27/3/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Wow, really cool video, thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

Saturn and Jupiter, wow!!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This video seems to have a different idea of the scale involved. I wonder which one is correct?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm down to replace the moon with Saturn...but I'm not sure about the other ones.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Hmmm, that's interesting. Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this one. Maybe someone could advise?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Hmmm, that's interesting. Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this one. Maybe someone could advise?

Well now I am curious I have a program at home that can do this I might check it out if I have time...I am betting a little more between both as the Earth is the size of the Great Red spot on Jupiter and the scale was not quiet there in the first video.
edit on 27-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Well now I am curious I have a program at home that can do this I might check it out if I have time...I am betting a little more between both as the Earth is the size of the Great Red spot on Jupiter and the scale was not quiet there in the first video.
edit on 27-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

That would be great if you can. To be honest I thought that Jupiter would be a lot bigger than on the first video as well, but interesting none the less.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Jupiter has a radius of 71400kms. This is roughly 41 times that of the Moon. Since the apparent diameter of the Moon is approximately 30 arc minutes (or half a degree), this means that Jupiter would subtend an angle of 21 degrees in Earth's sky. The problem with the second video is the distortion of the viewing perspective. It makes Jupiter appear to be a LOT larger than it would actually appear.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
Jupiter has a radius of 71400kms. This is roughly 41 times that of the Moon. Since the apparent diameter of the Moon is approximately 30 arc minutes (or half a degree), this means that Jupiter would subtend an angle of 21 degrees in Earth's sky. The problem with the second video is the distortion of the viewing perspective. It makes Jupiter appear to be a LOT larger than it would actually appear.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

Your maths is out radius of Jupiter then dia of Moon used !
Should have been 82 x 0.5 degrees = 41 not 21
edit on 27-3-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I imagine a bigger problem would be if we replace the Moon with another planet much larger than Earth, what happens when there is a Solar eclipse?

It could take days or even weeks for our Earth to transverse the shadow of a larger planet. We would probably freeze to death or starve when all the plant life dies after a week or so of extreme cold and prolonged darkness.
edit on 27-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Jupiter would look much, much larger than in the video. Remember that the Great Red Spot is the size of Earth alone.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

There is nothing wrong with my maths.....

Diameter of Jupiter: 142800 kms
Diameter of Moon: 3476 kms

That is a ratio of 41:1

The angular diameter of the Moon in Earth's sky is 0.5 degree.
The angular diameter of Jupiter in Earth's sky at the distance of the Moon would be approximately 21 degrees.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

There is nothing wrong with my maths.....

Diameter of Jupiter: 142800 kms
Diameter of Moon: 3476 kms

That is a ratio of 41:1

The angular diameter of the Moon in Earth's sky is 0.5 degree.
The angular diameter of Jupiter in Earth's sky at the distance of the Moon would be approximately 21 degrees.

Sorry you are correct it was the quote of radius and then dia that put me off my bad

new topics

top topics

join