It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Trauma Syndrome: How Some Organized Religion Leads to Mental Health Problems

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Ancients, if you study numerous records Especialy of female warriors, prior to patriarchy, we're vicious if children were messed with, e.g. Ancient Vietnam, for example. Most of those records have all been erased, Anyhoo,

Another proof evident of this, is the deliberate genocide and erasure of indigenous peoples and Native Indians, who would not bow to the Eurocentric CULTS. Because they were in harmony with earth and animal life, in balance, both male and female. (granted there were some tribes that leaned more to hierarchies but I also find the correlation to them and the geological environment/impact to reveal sme possible reasons, another topic).

My point in all this, is to Warn, victims, of religious trauma, to be Extremely careful in joining another form of Religion, that of science, because the schools of thought, originate from the same Elitists, who are hell bent in keeping you enslaved. My advice would be to one, cut off the simulations, such as t.v., movies, stop reading for a while, books, ESP religious texts as they just Retriggered, take up gardening, nature, seriously, and recenter your authentic self. Go back if you can, to WHO you were in early childhood before the trauma, or at least, before you were Changed by it, in your core self. And start from there, trauma cuts off our true self growth, what we Would have been if not for the Soul assassins. This I warn you, is not a quick cure nor a short journey. Why I strongly suggest Nature, is that there is powerful healing and Truth in nature, ESP with Balance. I took up learning the trees, herbs, identifying them, listening to inner voice, and learning to Trust her, which is the most difficult thing to do when you've been controlled by Trauma, ESP religious. See Neither religion nor the soul assassins w ant you to Trust your Inner voice..but That's the one you Snould trust, because he/she has been there since your beginning, even if split, confused, the more you learn to Trust and Love/comfort yourself...the stronger your Healing self becomes,

beware of the doctors who offer their snake oil cures, the priests who offer the answers to your fears, they are out to control you, even abuse you. Or more often than nought,

Exploit you for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Took me fifty years to learn this...most of my life was robbed from me, I can't get those years back. But I got my authentic SELF back, from both Religion and Psychiatry/psychological ABUSERS. you can too...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
You people want to do anything you want.

Why trying to deflect your responsibility

Why care much to bring others to your ship of irresponsibility.

You people bash religion for some ignorant people , and you claim that they are ignorant , good for you.

SO , you know the ignorance , why not be a religious man that is not ignorant ? Why trying to escape the whole responsibility for some wrong things that other people do.

I ask one fair question.

Haven't you done anything based on your ignorance yourself ?

You call people to come to you (your agenda) , but you won't help them in judgement day.

Jesus PBUH found his true way and called other people to follow him , but you are not sure that religion is 100 % wrong , but you call people to follow you.

Maybe god forgive this wrong action. (and my wrong actions ,too.)
edit on 28-3-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Religious Trauma Syndrome: How Some Organized Religion Leads to Mental Health Problems

Dr. Marlene Winell is a human development consultant in the San Francisco Area. She is also the daughter of Pentecostal missionaries. This combination has given her work an unusual focus. For the past twenty years she has counseled men and women in recovery from various forms of fundamentalist religion including the Assemblies of God denomination in which she was raised. Winell is the author of Leaving the Fold - A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving their Religion, written during her years of private practice in psychology.

Over the years, Winell has provided assistance to clients whose religious experiences were even more damaging than [the article's author - see the article to read about her struggle with bulimia and faith]. Some of them are people whose psychological symptoms weren’t just exacerbated by their religion, but actually caused by it.

written during her years of private practice in psychology.

LOL, nothing to see here folks, just some desperate claims by desperate people, as usual.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I grew up in a southern baptist family of many generations in Memphis suburbs full "mega Churches". Ive dealt with depression and social anxiety as long as i can remember and for me religous trauma was going to a mega church 3+times a week, all the mandatory youth activities, and week long church camps with 3-4 hrs of prayer/brainwashing every day and I hated it all. my parents didnt make much money either, worked long hrs, always stressed and the whole having to give 10% of their income after paying crazy taxes and mortgage, utilities while the church pastor made 150,000 a year and got an expensive free suburban home to live in as well i found kind of disturbing. When i turned 24 i moved to a small town in Ak and it was amazing how laid back everyone was, nobody trying to witness to me all the time for not wanting to go to church. Ive been here 9 yrs now and everytime i go home to visit the first thing all my relatives seem to ask me is why i dont go to church anymore and why i like to drink beer, not "Its great to see you, hows youre life going" . That is Religious Trauma for me lol, life goes on.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I'm an agnostic skeptic who tolerates and respects everyone's religious (or non-religious) beliefs.

I don't know if this qualifies, but I have long suspected that my yearning for and pursuit of some "higher" sense of purpose, meaning, and truth "beyond" the cold, hard, mundane reality that appears evident before me, in all the myriad forms it has taken (and that I've been successively disillusioned by) over the course of my life, represent an artifact of my religious upbringing. An attempt to fill a hole left by an expectation and need fostered early in life that perhaps can never be filled because it was possibly entirely fraudulent to begin with.

Yet it remains, whether I want it to or not. I guess that could be classified as "lifelong trauma" depending upon one's definition of the word. It is something I grapple quite painfully with. I want to believe in something - I need to - but I can't bring myself to. It is responsible for most of my bouts of depression. I say this while acknowledging that there are far more traumatic consequences of certain forms of religious upbringing (and non-religious upbringing for that matter) which I suspect is what is being driven at here.

That said, I think it should be regarded as debatable whether or not this represents a distinct syndrome, or rather a constellation of existing symptoms found in already existing diagnostic criteria. There are many things that cause PTSD for example (I'm not calling this PTSD incidentally, this is just an analogical example) but those individual dynamics don't tend to be given their own diagnostic entities. They may be given their own specialty clinically or therapeutically in order to better facilitate and direct treatment, but they aren't necessarily their own syndromes or disorders distinct from PTSD.

As another example, I have social anxiety disorder secondary to Asperger's, but there isn't a syndrome labeled "Asperger's associated social anxiety disorder" distinct from social anxiety disorder. (Though, perhaps there should be, as it being secondary to a condition that the usual approaches like cognitive behavioral therapy don't necessarily make much of a dent in, can complicate management.)

I'm not saying that this isn't a real dynamic. In fact, having known individuals very, very traumatized by their religious upbringings, I'm quite sure that it is. I just think we have to be careful how we classify things in terms of treatment and so forth, and the implications of that. It's a tricky thing to determine. Situational dynamics leading to conditions, versus distinct conditions themselves.

Either way, I commend you for having the courage to broach the subject at all. It's something worth discussing and thinking about regardless of what anyone thinks of it, or how it's classified. I say that with utmost respect for religious members and their sensibilities. I'm not arguing that religion in general automatically induces or is associated with trauma. I know plenty of religious individuals - current and former - who would not classify themselves as traumatized, and who don't display indications of trauma. But there are others who do.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by coosta5k

. . . and the whole having to give 10% of their income after paying crazy taxes and mortgage, utilities while the church pastor made 150,000 a year and got an expensive free suburban home to live in as well i found kind of disturbing.
Technically, that would be 10% before taxes.
That is something that should seem outrageous to everyone.
Maybe the rule was invented before income taxes were more than 1%, which it was at the beginning, to get people used to the concept of an income tax before they started jacking it up to where they thought they could get the maximum amount of money squeezed out of the working class' wages.
Once taxes did go up, the churches never relented, and still demanded their share from a hypothetical 'gross' income.
That's my theory, anyway.
A tithe is based on an old agrarian society where the produce of the land filled the role of GNP, so 10% of that was taken by the religious hierarchy , without regard to how it affected the individuals who depended on that produce for their livelihood.
"God" owned the land, according to a state supported religion, so "God" 'deserved' "His" 'fair share'.
In Europe, when America was being settled my the colonists, the church's tithe was collected by the state as a garnishment of everyone's wages, like today's withholding of income and Social Security taxes.
edit on 28-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

EXACTLY!! That's the entire issue. On the other hand, some people's 'worldview' might be opened up. Yes, people who leave extremist religions do become shattered.....but, they can recover and get on with their lives. Same with any 'mental illness'. Face the scary, negative thing, DEAL WITH IT, and reclaim your life.

Are you saying what you are saying??!(maybe i am taking it wrongly)
You want people that suffer from RTS to recover in a specific way so that they leave their religion/idea of God in that religion and take up ideas like you have (opened world-view)?

Yes people can recover when they get shattered due to too much faith in some priest, therapist or much more common in love and they can do so by various ways.

I has just said that reliance on God and turning to God can help them recover better and still keep their faith in humanity and God.

The actions of churches and priest have made more people turn towards atheism than an active belief in science to be supreme has.

If the actions of 'self proclaimed' represtatives of God shatters a person, he/she should realise that it was human action and not conclude that God does not exist.

IMO no human should be given that kind of power and if given, it should be taken as a burder and he/she should be constantly answerable and live like the religion dictates for everyone and no special lifestyle.

Our opinions differ about religion but i hope you'l agree that if a religion does a lot of good and occasional harm then its much better for it to stay and correct the reasons that caused harm rather than being completely rejected.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

Our opinions differ about religion but i hope you'l agree that if a religion does a lot of good and occasional harm then its much better for it to stay and correct the reasons that caused harm rather than being completely rejected.

I never said anything about rejecting all religion, or atheism being the 'correct' answer. I've acknowledged over and over that Faith certainly CAN, and for millions DOES offer comfort, solace, hope, and so forth. It is the FEAR part that needs to go. Fear of not being good enough, of going to 'hell', of never, ever measuring up; fear of being shunned and ostracized; of being physically abused for 'messing up' in the opinion of an authority figure -

the article states the case clearly. So do the other links provided throughout the thread.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Ace, thanks for your contribution.

When it comes to recognizing symptoms or clusters of behaviors/thought patterns as results of either events or organic neurology, such as you mentioned agoraphobia (or any other anxiety such as OCD, etc) Secondary to Aspergers,
there is a very careful system used to 'diagnose' - there is examination of 5 different Axes involved in arriving at whatever "code" is used.

Clinicians are trained to differentiate how certain clusters of behaviors came about, and treat that specific, root cause, with specific therapies (and there are dozens of available methods) developed to address the actual root of the problem(s).

---------------------------
To All:

It is true that there are damaging therapies and bad therapists and psychiatrists, just as there are damaging 'religious doctrines' and priests and ministers and preachers, babysitters, teachers, cops, and so forth. I don't know if there's a universal Code of Ethics in place for religious leaders, but there is for mental health practitioners and doctors, and oversight boards that can stop a perpetrator from further inflicting damage on others.

There will always, always be people who prefer EXPLOITING other people. Sometimes they are caught, sometimes they are not. The damage has already been done to the Victim, though, before the professional is stripped - if they are stripped - of their license to practice. Likewise, it's important for anyone taking on a position of trust or "help" to know THEIR OWN LIMITS. Responsible people will always second guess themselves, and think carefully about what the ramifications of their actions are in regards to the well-being of others who trust them.

For example, the Roman Catholic priests - the few, who have been called out, but not "defrocked" or whatever - that were simply moved to another parish or position rather than removed from their position altogether. Those men should never have taken on priesthood. They 'should have known better' and stopped themselves.

Many people voluntarily relinquish their 'leadership' when they realize they can't perform well, or sincerely, and that is commendable.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I'm not sure who "you people" is in your post.

As for being a religious person who is not ignorant - well, that would obviously be a good move.
Yes, we have all made mistakes due to ignorance of other options.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

As an ex-missionary, this does not surprise me. I spent years depressed as a result of trying to jump thru all the hoops. I did not know who I was anymore. It was hard for people to understand just why I went nuts. They all thought i needed to trust God more.

Lol, give more poison to cure a poisoning.

My hubby was all too happy at the prospect of me being killed by rebels. He would get to be the hero and bring them all to Jesus. I wish I were kidding about this. Ever heard of Jim Elliot? Killed by the Auaca Indians and his wife Elizabeth brought them all to Jesus after ward. We grew up with them as heroes. We knew missionaries on the field who worked with them. Their kids are our age. It was all too real to my hubby, and he was inspired. I just lost all hope and trust in him. I wasn't ready to be sacrificed so willingly.

To him, I didn't have enough faith. To me, he was holding a knife at my throat.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

NO! IT IS NOT ABOUT THAT!

For heaven's sake, daughter. Do people have a 'right' to beat the crap out of their kids, lock them in cages, pour acid down their throats, subject them to "exorcists"? Do they have a 'right' to teach their kids that this is appropriate? Child abuse is child abuse.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Caterminator

Thank you, Caterminator.
Many people have disclosed their own similar painful experiences on this thread, and it is good that they are doing so.

The attacks by those members who feel 'threatened' or 'angry' or are trying to 'twist' the issue brought up by the exposure of this very real problem haven't properly thought it over, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I applaud you doing this. I speak from experience. When you speak up and say, "This church is hurting me!!!" You can expect this:

They stare at you like you are nuts. They move to quiet you down, after all you are being hysterical. They move you to a quiet place where you can 'talk about it'. They ask a bunch of questions, all making you feel like you are not being believed. They talk in whispers behind your back. They offer to 'pray for you'. They send you to a counselor.

But they don't: TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY!!!

After all, you attacked the church. Nobody attacks the church.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

" What do you see as the difference between religion that causes trauma and religion that doesn’t?

Winell: Religion causes trauma when it is highly controlling and prevents people from thinking for themselves and trusting their own feelings. Groups that demand obedience and conformity produce fear, not love and growth. With constant judgment of self and others, people become alienated from themselves, each other, and the world. Religion in its worst forms causes separation.

Saying that someone is trying to pathologize authoritarian religion is like saying someone pathologized eating disorders by naming them. Before that, they were healthy? No, before that we weren’t noticing."

SO TRUE!!!!! Sorry if I didn't copy and paste that correctly. Any one care to tell me how to do it? After 10 yrs here I still don't know how!!

Sick is as sick does. And when it's done in the name of God, well, it's still sick.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Reads some of the article, makes it about gun control. Lurk moar.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeBears

This bears repeating:

Another proof evident of this, is the deliberate genocide and erasure of indigenous peoples and Native Indians, who would not bow to the Eurocentric CULTS. Because they were in harmony with earth and animal life, in balance, both male and female. (granted there were some tribes that leaned more to hierarchies but I also find the correlation to them and the geological environment/impact to reveal sme possible reasons, another topic).

My point in all this, is to Warn, victims, of religious trauma, to be Extremely careful in joining another form of Religion, that of science, because the schools of thought, originate from the same Elitists, who are hell bent in keeping you enslaved. My advice would be to one, cut off the simulations, such as t.v., movies, stop reading for a while, books, ESP religious texts as they just Retriggered, take up gardening, nature, seriously, and recenter your authentic self. Go back if you can, to WHO you were in early childhood before the trauma, or at least, before you were Changed by it, in your core self. And start from there, trauma cuts off our true self growth, what we Would have been if not for the Soul assassins. This I warn you, is not a quick cure nor a short journey.

Thanks for your thoughtful input here. Those are some scary points you brought up.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I wish I were kidding about this. . .
It was all too real to my hubby, and he was inspired. I just lost all hope and trust in him. I wasn't ready to be sacrificed so willingly.
I can seriously believe this story because there are really people out there like that.
I'm all for being missionaries, my uncle spent a big part of his life as one going up and down the Orinoco River, helping the Indians as a self-taught doctor with no license from the AMA.
He was happy doing that and felt it was enough that they knew he was a Christian, rather than forcing a religion on them.
I'm mentioning that as a contrast to the type you are talking about.
Of course my uncle was not supported by a church but was helped by individuals who actually care about people rather than 'rewards in heaven'.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Thanks for reinforcing the main point.

(One way to learn how to copy/paste, is to just hit any post that has copied/pasted, or quoted stuff, and hit the "quote" button. The entire post will pop up on the reply page (where we type). Then just look at the codes embedded before and after the section, will always be in [brackets] to start a section, use the code (such as [action, like 'quote'] and end with [/'the same code word'].

Once you've figured it out, then just x out of the reply window you're using to 'read' the quoted post.
)

edit on 28-3-2013 by wildtimes because: ACK! Messed up the tutorial!

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Yeah, I think a lot of us read butcherguy's first post and thought that. Actually, it was a misunderstanding and we cleared it up later. He didn't mean it that way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join