It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This May Be A Very Important Day For Gay Rights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
while i do not give two shats as to what people do with their life , the complete disregard for the constitution that the federal government has irks me . so how many of the original 10 amendments have they not disregarded?
edit on 3/26/2013 by IsawWHATtheyDID because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm going to break ranks with some of my conservative bretheren.

A marriage between a man and a woman is NOT diminished by a marriage between a man and a man or woman and a woman.

The strength of a union is not dependent on outside factors.

Also, if a majority of people voted FOR slavery, it would not make it okay. So just because Prop 8 passed, does not legitimize the inhibition of gay marriage.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by jimmiec
So less than 4% of the population is gay. Why is it such a huge issue? Why is it in the hands of SCOTUS when the people of California already voted on it and said no? If SCOTUS takes the case then it would be at least June before the results are in. If gay people just want the same rights as married people then why did they not just go through Civil Union Laws? The whole thing sounds more like a bunch of 4 year olds screaming for a toy to me.

Why didn't those blacks just sit at the back of the bus, and drink from the fountain made special just for them? Why did they have to make a big deal about it? And all those Jim Crow laws were approved by the people in the states that passed them. Discrimination isn't right, even when the majority of a state votes for it. Sometimes SCOTUS has to step in and make things right.
I know what you're trying to convey, but being black and being gay is two entirely different situations. The black/gay analogy is way off base.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Man, i swear the legion of shills that has been infesting this site is really blowing its cover too much, mostly the lgbt brigade!

Doesn't matter that the world might be on the verge of financial collaspe and global war or whatever more important things going on in the world, as long as somewhere a minority of pawns gets "gay marriage" right! Whatever to keep the masses distracted uh?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

So less than 4% of the population is gay. Why is it such a huge issue? Why is it in the hands of SCOTUS when the people of California already voted on it and said no? If SCOTUS takes the case then it would be at least June before the results are in. If gay people just want the same rights as married people then why did they not just go through Civil Union Laws? The whole thing sounds more like a bunch of 4 year olds screaming for a toy to me.

Why didn't those blacks just sit at the back of the bus, and drink from the fountain made special just for them? Why did they have to make a big deal about it? And all those Jim Crow laws were approved by the people in the states that passed them. Discrimination isn't right, even when the majority of a state votes for it. Sometimes SCOTUS has to step in and make things right.
I know what you're trying to convey, but being black and being gay is two entirely different situations. The black/gay analogy is way off base.

Equality is equality is equality.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Rewriting the bible will divide the country. All for less than 4% of the population.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Yada yada..typical retort. It's like y'all all get your lines from the same instruction manual. So many other comparisons could get in that equality right vagueness! I can't wait to see that progressist "utopia" y'all are so passionately working toward! What's the rush btw? I also can't wait to see what will come of all that gay right parade when the # hits the fan!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I'm going to break ranks with some of my conservative bretheren.

A marriage between a man and a woman is NOT diminished by a marriage between a man and a man or woman and a woman.

The strength of a union is not dependent on outside factors.

Also, if a majority of people voted FOR slavery, it would not make it okay. So just because Prop 8 passed, does not legitimize the inhibition of gay marriage.

Just my humble opinion.
I'm usually right there with ya Beez, but there is no comparison of homosexuality with slavery. Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Rewriting the bible will divide the country. All for less than 4% of the population.

We've been ignoring parts of the bible for a long long time now - no reason to get hung up on that part.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

Equality is equality is equality.
And I get that aspect of what you're saying, but comparing being black to being gay is a flawed analogy on many fronts.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

reply to post by n00bUK

Because it destroys the sanctity of marriage for those who believe in it. All for 4% of the population. It will also creates yet another great divide in America just like Roe vs Wade did. We don't need more division. The people have voted on it and said no. Go after Civil Unions. Why destroy the sanctity of marriage when you can get the same result with civil unions? Why must "marriage" enter into the equation when they obviously don't believe in God/Bible anyway? This is just more destruction heaped onto society for no reason.

Ok, so what about the millions of straight people who marry and aren't religious? Using your logic, this is also "destroying the sanctity of marriage"

Things change. . .Stop letting something so trivial that doesn't effect you bother you. You even say we don't need more division yet state you want this current one to stay enforced.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I think it's time you religious folks stop relying on the bible for defence or arguments. At this point you should've realized that the the pro-rigth brigade loves to target you because your fundation is shaky and easily defeatable. Debating this issue with intellectual honesty/critical thinking would've got it over with a long time ago.

First of all, no matter how you look at it it all comes down to population reduction and control.

Sec. of all this gay issue, just like race, class and gender is another visceral tool to divide and conquer, distracting the masses while the ruling powers go about their business.

Seeing how the tool works so effectively every time, they're using it almost everyday now!
edit on 26-3-2013 by Exv8densez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Just my humble opinion.

Well that's a darn good opinion if i must say.

Your cookie was well deserved, good job.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This topics heading is misleading, it is not about gay rights, you have your rights to be treated equally in society with respect, well in the U.S you do and in other western societies. This topic is really about destroying the sanctity of marriage, change the definition of what marriage really is. Soon we will be getting people wanting to marry their sisters or brothers next because marriage has become a joke due to attacks by certain groups who wish to force their agenda on the majority. To rewrite things as they please without the slightest concern of the majority how they may feel, in the end it creates a divide in society.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaSpace

Exactly!! The unintended consequences of this action will be horrendous!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

The only comparison between slavery and homosexuality is that in both cases, a group of individuals were denied rights.

As so many point out, it's just 4% of the population. Let's allow simple equal rights to everyone and move on to more important business.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Good for them. This shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. There's not valid argument whatsoever against gay marriage. It's saddening how stupid some people in this country can be.

Thankfully this country isn't governed by the bible, much to your and many others disappointment.

Originally posted by MegaSpace
This topics heading is misleading, it is not about gay rights, you have your rights to be treated equally in society with respect, well in the U.S you do and in other western societies. This topic is really about destroying the sanctity of marriage, change the definition of what marriage really is. Soon we will be getting people wanting to marry their sisters or brothers next because marriage has become a joke due to attacks by certain groups who wish to force their agenda on the majority. To rewrite things as they please without the slightest concern of the majority how they may feel, in the end it creates a divide in society.

Seeing how there's no proof that gay marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriage, no it isn't. Try thinking critically on this issue instead of resorting to emotion.
edit on 26-3-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by supertrot

I have been around for a long time, so it takes something special to surprise me.
Recently, while talking with a man where I work, I was informed that "gays don't deserve the same rights as the rest of us. They are not American enough.
I will leave it up to those who read this as to the political affiliation of this person; beyond being an a$$ 'O' bigot!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I have no problem with equal rights. Just do it with civil unions. Don't rewrite the bible or destroy the sanctity of marriage for something that can easily be accomplished by civil union laws.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

What does this have to do with the bible???

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join