It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate Approves Proposed Internet Sales Tax

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I don't think internet sales should not be taxed. It is opposition of the local economy. The American dream is to build a business of your own yet the advantage is given to those who sell on the net. I would rather buy local and support my fellow citizens of the area. The No tax on internet sales is bad for our local stores, stores built as dreams of people. The small business is the backbone of America, not the importers.

If they don't tax the internet sales than they should abolish all sales tax altogether. Our states will flop without this tax and the whole governmental system will crumble causing chaos everywhere. Taxes also pay for our schools and roads. They pay for the testing of our foods(Which is a scam) The government workers stabalize the economies of areas also. All government jobs aren't a waste. Cut big industry contracts if you want to cut government waste. Quit subsidizing airports and jet fuels. Why is Jet fuel so cheap? Because the government allows the companies to charge more for gas so they keep aviation fuel low.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Really? Considering women and non-whites weren't even considered people by the aforementioned "Founder's" I daresay you give them too much credit. Either way, How I feel about it is of little consequence as it's not going to change anything.

I never said that they were infallible in the direction of there moral compass on every issue. The fact remains that they were uniquely in a position of clarity when it came to liberty and freedom after living under the oppressive rule of the throne for all of their lives and then throwing it off in favor of succession. This fact persists despite the tragic circumstances you have listed.

As far as giving them too much credit, I don't know that I am really. I mean, we are living in America now and not Great Briton after all, I say that's credit well deserved.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hopefully it stays with just business with over $1M in receipts. I just recently started a company that sell exclusively online and this would hurt my bottom line.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, It won't upset anyone outside the US, that you can be certain of. Trying to buy from the US always gets a postage fee that is extraordinary compared to any other country.

More often than not the postage is more than the item. I am in Australia and can easily purchase from the UK and sometimes do. Rarely do I buy from the US. This is one reason why the US is shooting itself in the foot. On the one hand it wants globalism while on the other hand it can never compete.

P

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Mark my words...Next they will find a way to tax all the emails and texts all in the name of "Saving the Postal Service". The writing is on the wall that this is coming and I am sure it wont be too far down the pike.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I think everything sold new retail on the internet should be taxed. The states need money to run. If it is not a sales tax it is a hidden tax or use tax that will fund them. I hate hidden taxes.

Funny, I think we are already taxed enough....

State and Local Government Taxation

I generally agree with less government -- but - if the tax goes to the states as it would if purchased in a store in state then I believe it is right. Our taxes papers already ask us to pony up honestly and some large stores already do the state sales tax. The reason I think it can be good is because if it goes to the states that can help them to close some of their budget holes and make them less dependent upon (read open to control by) the Federal Government via funded mandates. Get the power back to the states. That is step one for restoring the proper balance in this country. I am not fond of my current state government but I believe that they have the right to make some of the decisions that bug me. I get really mad when the Federal Government makes those decisions and the Constitution indicates that these were matters where the power was reserved to the states. Give the states their money so they can get their power back. Then when seeking change and influence you are a bigger fish in a smaller pond. You still might not be big enough...but it is at least a start.
edit on Sun Mar 24 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about it any which way if you didn't let your state collect a sales tax in the first place.

When is enough enough? It is much harder to get a large increase in one tax than to get small increases in lots of different taxes.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Can this be considered interfering with interstate commerce?

If it is, that a big No No!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You guys do realize we are already taxed on these items, right?

One of the things you are supposed to do at tax time is report any unpaid sales tax for items purchased out of state and pay them through your tax return.

Nobody does this however and is therefore filing an incomplete tax return each and every year ... the argument is about taxing you twice on Internet sales items... that is where things get ugly.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Bah, this sucks!

They'll figure someway to exploit the people and businesses. If they don't tax the buyers, they'll probably tax the business or make them pay a fee which would be passed onto the consumer. Then they'll buy new houses and cars with this tax/fee and write it off as a government expense that is needed for their job duties.

Such BS! I buy things from the internet to save on time and gas, and taxes (but a lot of businesses already tax online - except ebay and amazon). They have been gunning for these 2 businesses for a long time, looks like they found a way to do it now...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Since i'm from a different country to the usa and i wanted to buy a p.c game from Amazon that was not available in my country just yet would the approved internet sales tax apply to me or since i'm in a different country would i not need to pay the tax?Just asking since i'm not sure about that.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Conspiracyskeptic because: spelling correction

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) this internet tax would only be assessed if the order is placed from a US state that collects a sales tax on the item already. It would not apply to international orders or to orders placed from one of the four US states that do not collect a sales tax.

I am not an expert so take that with a grain of salt!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Thanks for answering my question as best you can!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This country will not improve until lobby groups are illegal, which will never happen
edit on 25-3-2013 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Hey guys, don't worry about it. The U.S. Gov is in your side. Uncle Sam wants you.

Next stop Tax on number of miles driven, gun ownership, required insurance fr gun ownership with million dollar liability, child birth tax, breath/oxygen tax, bowel movement tax, 60% haircuts from all bank accounts of the citizens, living tax, pet tax, and more!!!!!!

Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget the Death tax all your family members have to pay after you die!!!!!
edit on 25-3-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infra_red
Hopefully it stays with just business with over $1M in receipts. I just recently started a company that sell exclusively online and this would hurt my bottom line.

Same thing here - I'm an Ebay seller and also sell from my own site and on certain internet forums and to me the main issue would be a massive logistical burden for very small (sole proprietor businesses and those with only a handful of employees) companies. I have enough paperwork already and spend many late hours taking care of that part of my business and in order to collect and distribute sales taxes I'd have to likely sub out work to a bookkeeper (and of course that would cost me more money to run my business and I'd have to raise prices) to get the job done.
In general I'm opposed to any new taxes, though in some ways I can see where brick and mortar businesses can be at a disadvantage. However, these days just about everyone (business-wise, even if they are mainly brick and mortar) has a website and many times even those who sell locally will also ship products out of state and even internationally, so the playing field isn't quite as un-even as it may seem. Problem with new taxes is they only increase and almost never go away. Taxes are of course necessary in any large society but they can become like invasive weeds - they grow thick and can choke the life out of the local vegetation (the economy of a country). And while this may start out affecting only very large businesses, it may indeed spread (when they feel they aren't getting enough revenue to flush down the can like they do with much of our tax dollars) to smaller businesses.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Really? Considering women and non-whites weren't even considered people by the aforementioned "Founder's" I daresay you give them too much credit.

Either way, How I feel about it is of little consequence as it's not going to change anything.

They created a system under which it was possible for these injustices to be corrected over time.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

U.S. Senate Approves Proposed Internet Sales Tax

techcrunch.com

An Internet sales tax is inching its way closer to being the law of the land: The U.S. Senate supported a non-binding vote of approval, 75-to-24, for a law that would allow states to collect taxes from Internet retailers. If enacted as is, it would allow states to levy taxes on some online retail purchases from businesses with over $1 million in gross receipts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

This would drive many people to buy locally which is good but... most people have a Walmart or other big box stores locally so that's bad.

If they did this to big box stores as well, I think it would save the middle class and the small business sector.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

edit on 25-3-2013 by Cuervo because: Coffee... double post(ish)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join