U.S. Senate Approves Proposed Internet Sales Tax

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

U.S. Senate Approves Proposed Internet Sales Tax

techcrunch.com

An Internet sales tax is inching its way closer to being the law of the land: The U.S. Senate supported a non-binding vote of approval, 75-to-24, for a law that would allow states to collect taxes from Internet retailers. If enacted as is, it would allow states to levy taxes on some online retail purchases from businesses with over $1 million in gross receipts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
You knew it was coming....and here it is. Taxing the internet not only takes away the opportunity to get something at a slightly lower cost, but it also opens the door for more internet regulation. Once the ability to tax is approved, naturally, they will need to add more regulations to allow them to monitor the internet for tax fraud.

We all knew it was only a matter of time.

techcrunch.com

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

You knew it was coming....and here it is. Taxing the internet not only takes away the opportunity to get something at a slightly lower cost, but it also opens the door for more internet regulation. Once the ability to tax is approved, naturally, they will need to add more regulations to allow them to monitor the internet for tax fraud.

We all knew it was only a matter of time.

techcrunch.com

Yep and tax your driving by the mile or breathing to much or passing gas?..The government has an unbelievable propensity for waste and wanting more to waste.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure in the near future you'l be getting taxed on the amount of download you use on the internet.
Lets just hope the economy fall's apart before that haha.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
I'm pretty sure in the near future you'l be getting taxed on the amount of download you use on the internet.
Lets just hope the economy fall's apart before that haha.

Careful what you wish for.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky

Yep and tax your driving by the mile or breathing to much or passing gas?..The government has an unbelievable propensity for waste and wanting more to waste.

Until government is limited in the means for which it was originally intended and designed, you are correct....they are a bottomless pit who keeps crying "more, more, more...."

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Government was not created or designed for anything. It is a consequence of human behavior and as such the idealistic belief that you can "get back to something" pure in government seems rather silly to me.

As for the proposal, we all knew it was coming. It sucks, but it is what it is. I'm sure they'll spend it on 50,000 dollar toilet seats at the pentagon and bombing brown people while whining about welfare queens like they always do.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Government was not created or designed for anything. It is a consequence of human behavior and as such the idealistic belief that you can "get back to something" pure in government seems rather silly to me.

Naturally, I disagree.... The Founding Fathers of the United States *did* create a system that was meant to LIMIT government. And it is that point to which I was referring....

A reading of the Constitution makes it clear that the federal government was designed to be an agent of the states and authorized to act only on behalf of all the states in a few, clearly specified areas. None of those includes education, welfare, medical care, foreign aid and domestic pork-barrel projects.

Future historians, when they come to write the obituary of the United States, will note that we started out with the best system ever devised by man and willingly dismantled it for a bowl of federal porridge.

A good read, if you've never seen it - Original Intent

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I think everything sold new retail on the internet should be taxed. The states need money to run. If it is not a sales tax it is a hidden tax or use tax that will fund them. I hate hidden taxes.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I think everything sold new retail on the internet should be taxed. The states need money to run. If it is not a sales tax it is a hidden tax or use tax that will fund them. I hate hidden taxes.

Funny, I think we are already taxed enough....

State and Local Government Taxation

Income
Sales
Property

Federal Taxation

Income tax
Social Security tax
Medicare tax
Corporate income tax
Transfer taxes
Excise taxes
Federal Unemployment Tax

Federal & State Common Taxes

Income Taxes

7 Category of Taxes

1. Income Taxes
2. Property Taxes
3. Consumption Taxes
4. General Corporation Taxes
5. Payroll Taxes
6. Capital Gains Taxes
7. Inheritance Taxes

Never ending list of taxes in the United States

Sales and use tax
Toll
Cigarette and tobacco tax
Alcoholic beverage tax
Retail Beer, Wine and Liquor License Taxes
Tariffs
Environment Affecting Tax
Poll tax
Retirement tax
Real Property Transfer Tax
Wealth (net worth) tax
Commercial Motor Vehicle Tax
Commercial Rent Tax
Horse Race Admissions Tax
Hotel Room Occupancy Tax
Utility tax
Insurance taxes
Lawful gambling tax
Fur clothing tax
Deed tax
Contamination tax
Mineral taxes
Petroleum taxes
Sports bookmaking tax
Wind energy production tax
Federal unemployment tax
Environmental taxes
Communications and air transportation taxes
Fuel taxes
Gift taxes
Death tax
Luxury taxes

And I'm sure there are more.....
edit on 24-3-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well I bought a printer not long ago. Amazon had it for $79 no taxes and it was at my door in 2 days. All those Mitt Romney stores Best Buy and Staples had it for a $129. Staples said it was on sale for $79 but you had to pay the full price of $129 and get $50 store credit for the cheaper price. So what you buy some thing for the price it is sold for on Amazon and then get forced to buy another $50 of junk just to get it? The retail stores have been turned into BS any more. An if Amazon gets forced to tax you on purchases it will still be cheaper. Because you don't have to spend the money on gas to go get it. And the store does not get to charge you $50 for store over head.

And after all check all those websites for stores. Walmart,Best Buy,Staples and the list goes on. They are no different then Amazon. They are using Amazon as a supplier for web based orders. The product you are buying over the internet from a regular store still comes from Amazon.

And nobody has exclusive products anymore. The one store that you thought would never give up its exclusive product because it had quality behind its name Craftsman by Sears is now sold at Ace Hardware. Yes you can buy Craftsman products at Ace Hardware. I thought Sears would never let their cash cow go but they have. Next it will be a internet item from Amazon.
edit on 24-3-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

Originally posted by rickymouse

Funny, I think we are already taxed enough....

State and Local Government Taxation

Income
Sales
Property

Totally 100% agree and unfortunately there is no end in sight.
edit on Sun Mar 24 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You list of taxes reminds me of something I've often thought of - how each dollar actually makes money for the government. Say the sales or income tax on each dollar is 10 percent. That's a dime of that dollar the flows downstream to the government. But the same dollar keeps on circulating, and the next person using it has to pay their dime out of it, and the next, and so on, until after it's used ten times the government has extracted the entire dollar out of the "dollar", and then it keeps on circulating and is now paying more than its face value to the government in taxes.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
For the people that feel my earlier post might be off topic or just promoting a store brand Amazon. Just take a look at this article related to the OP's post.

www.theverge.com...

Should the final bill, the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013, be approved and written into law, it will essentially eradicate the advantage that smaller internet retailers have over stores with a multi-state presence. As CNET reports, there's been intense lobbying in favor of the bill by advocacy groups including the National Retail Federation and Retail Industry Leaders Association, which count retail giants like Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot, and Target in their ranks.

Under current law, out-of-state retailers aren't usually obligated to collect taxes on purchases, which has resulted in an estimated $20 billion in sales tax losses across the country. There are some exceptions to the rule, as companies that have a significant local presence are required by some states to levy sales taxes. The perfect example of this exception being enforced is Amazon: the company will soon have to collect taxes in both Massachusetts and Connecticut after acquisitions and the opening regional offices tipped the scales in favor of a significant state presence. Under the new legislation, only businesses with less than $1 million in annual sales would be exempt from collecting sales tax.

They even list some of the companies I spoke of. "Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot, and Target". and then look at the states involved. "The perfect example of this exception being enforced is Amazon: the company will soon have to collect taxes in both Massachusetts and Connecticut after acquisitions and the opening regional offices tipped the scales in favor of a significant state presence.." Massachusetts and they even bring up Amazon. And don't forget the 70th Governor of Massachusetts from 2003 to 2007 was Mitt Romney.

All of this has to do with Mitt Romney trying to protect his businesses from Amazon.com.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Respectfully, you are wrong sir. The government of the United States of America was created and designed for a very specific purpose. To wit:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

That to SECURE THESE RIGHTS, Governments are instituted among Men

There was no ambiguity in why the American government was created to our forefathers, why is it so hard for us to understand?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
about time this loophole in corporation taxes was closed.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Reply to post by suicideeddie

It's not a tax against corporations. It is a tax against the consumer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by suicideeddie

It's not a tax against corporations. It is a tax against the consumer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

It is a Tariff against Amazon which is passed on to consumers. To protect retail stores mostly owned by Mitt Romney. Home Depot,Best Buy and Staples. The list is longer. And it is starting in a state Mitt Romney was Governor of.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
At least they are limiting it to companies with over $1,000,000 in sales that are better able to afford to add a tax table to their internet web sites. That might actually give the small mom and pop shops an advantage.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
reply to post by antonia

That to SECURE THESE RIGHTS, Governments are instituted among Men

There was no ambiguity in why the American government was created to our forefathers, why is it so hard for us to understand?

Really? Considering women and non-whites weren't even considered people by the aforementioned "Founder's" I daresay you give them too much credit.

Either way, How I feel about it is of little consequence as it's not going to change anything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join