It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted: Alien Chili Recipies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am looking for everyone's chili recipes, if you would like to share your secret. Mostly wanted alien chili recipes... let's face it, this is ATS and I am sure some far away civilization has shared a chili recipe or two... If not, I weep for all alien civilizations. LOL

I know there are two trains of thought on this... thick hearty chili and thin watery chili. I, myself, prefer the thick chili. My father, however, prefers the watery chilli.

My recipe is standard chilli with as much hot spice as I can provide. I add 8 cans of assorted bean, (crushed tomatoes, chilli beans, light red kidney beans, dark red kidney bean, chilli spices and 3lbs of ground chuck) I also add 3-4 “Standard” Pepper Spray" chillies and a powdered smoked chipotle that my mother obtains from the local convent's annual "season festival".

I find that if I over cook the ground chuck, let simmer for three hours while turning every 20 minutes and make it very dry, it absorbs the chilli sauce and makes the meat plumper and more flavorful. I also took a chapter from my father's book and add mushrooms, because I love mushrooms.

My father, on the other hand, likes the watery chilli and adds, T-Bone stake cubes, spicy Italian sausage, and a large can of V-8.

Are there any ATS members that have their own recipe or cooking techniques that would be willing to share?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

Ok here goes.

I don't really have a recipe per say. More like guidelines. It all depends what spices I have in my cabinet.

But I do have some unbreakable rules.

1.The meat MUST sit out for at least 3 hours after spending 48 hours defrosting.

2. Brown the meat slowly, it usually takes me an hour to brown off the meat.

3. Use chopped up steak and ground beef, a pound of each. Mmmm Meaty.

Otherwise, I add most of my seasoning to the meat to capture the flavor. I like mine spicy, so I add lots of different types of peppers.
Fresh jalapenos,
cayenne pepper,
habanero sauce,
chipotle tabasco sauce,
chilli powder,
mexican chilli powder,
paprika,
lots of cumin,

Plus other stuff like garlic, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper...

Once it's all browned off, I add 1 can each of Black beans, dark red kidney beans, and diced tomatoes.
Let simmer for 4-5 hours covered. and Blammo!

Oh and I cook it in a large 2" deep frying pan.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
My father introduced my to "Mrs. Renfro's salsa" (habanero style) that is VERY hot. It is thick and the water dissolves over time, which does not add to the wateriness and makes it much more spicier.

I love the spicy chilli and wonder if anyone has added any ghost chilli sauce or anything of the like.

If I can breath after a bowl full of chilli, I feel like I have failed.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Montezuma allegedly drank foamy cocoa with chili, mint and damiana leaves instead of sugar.
I know this is not chili as in hot meat and beans, but the ancient Meso-Americans had a way.

I will try your recipe...

As I have sinus problems, I even add a pinch of ground chili to coffee - it is interesting.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Our version is a family pack of hot italian sausages, cut into meat ball sized, browned, or a smaller pack like that and hamburger. Onion, garlic, peppers, hot peppers, jalepeno my favorite, though fresh chilli good too, mushrooms, medium plump and whole. (sauted). Tomato sauce, several big tins, preferably the kind with mexican or chili, or the jars. Kidney beans and or black bean mix, 2 large, or 3 smaller, roughly. Chili powder, cumin, chili sauce powder can help, hot sauce, fresh ground pepper, sea salt. Lots of cheddar grated. Can have a dash of lime on the side.

Some hot and tastey nachos or chips, and a salad and if you make lots, 2 giant pot fulls (we have a huge family), then you can have lovely burritos next day with sour cream and lots of jalepenos chopped, green onion, you just cook the chili with some jalepenos and melted cheddar. Have lettuce, green onioins, tomattoes, diced and cubed, and hot salsa, sour cream, grated cheese. Quickly sautee both sides of the burito shells not to the stiff point, and fill them slightly with the chili. layer the other stuff, finish with sour cream and roll up.
edit on 23-3-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
question for you, as well as, Unity_99... Do you make watery or thick chilli? I can see watery chilli being therapeutic for some, however, I think that thick is more tasteful. I like something that can stick to Texas Toast when I eat it.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I like mine with tomato based sauce, but still fairly thick and fire breathing dragon stuff, hot and spicey. I always plan to have left overs for burritos next day. Normally if I make burritos I use hamburger and refried beans, but this is a good way to get even 3 days out of 2 big pots of delicious chili. So a thick meaty hot and spicy tomato sauce based meal.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Man oh man, now I have to make it tomorrow. I read it out my family started drooling so its going be chilli, then burritos.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

I like mine with tomato based sauce, but still fairly thick and fire breathing dragon stuff, hot and spicey. I always plan to have left overs for burritos next day. Normally if I make burritos I use hamburger and refried beans, but this is a good way to get even 3 days out of 2 big pots of delicious chili. So a thick meaty hot and spicy tomato sauce based meal.

So, do you add beans or extra ingredient make more of a tomato based chilli? I know some may base a tomato base, but different ingredients to mask what they put in...

Does anyone have a "secret " ingredient they add?

Saucy or thick?

Is it to much of a secarate?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Man oh man, now I have to make it tomorrow. I read it out my family started drooling so its going be chilli, then burritos.

That is what happened tonight, hence the title. I even had my upstairs

What makes the best chilli?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Well it takes a fair amount of meat, to keep it thick, also veggies like fine celery, coarse onions, and peppers, for 1 big pot I would add 2 large bell peppers, and one jalepeno, and some of the hot flavorings or sauce too, and have more jalepeno diced up on the side fine. The tomato sauce is added when everything is browned and we all like it to be fairly tomatoey, but not thin tomatoe sauce, so to a big pot, with all the loads of saute added, it might fill up nearly half the pot. Then my favorite is thick and rich hunts, tall cans, say 2, or a huge chile prego, family size bulk, so that it is still very thick feeling. Just depends what I found on good price. I love mushrooms in mine, but when turn it into burritos make sure everything is minced a bit more the next day. If its a big pot fairly full by the time I've doctored it up, then it takes 3 big cans of mixed kidney and black beans. To make several big pots for 8 people and to last a few days, I would use a family pack of Hot Italian Sausages AND a family pack of hamburger as well. And 2-3 big tins or classico style type jars, of tomato sauce and a big pile of peppers and onions and celery with some mushrooms in each pot, so the stock pots would be 2/3rds filled in the end, quite tomatoey but very very thick. And very spicy.

Can freeze some containers full of this as well.

My dad cheats when he makes his, he often in the end adds a couple pork n beans to it, note he still adds several cans of kidney beans too, but I don't like that quite as much, but everything else is the same and the slightly sweet flavor is buried. So when he makes it and brings it over, we don't complain much at all.

My chili is a lot like this with a fair amount of kidney and black beans too: i.yummly.com...

And we've done this too!

cdn.taste.com.au...

But more in a roasting pan for the size of the family, like our occasional lasagne has to be.

top topics

join