It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Personal Defense Weapons (PDW) for general purpose survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ive given a lot of thought to this and tried to eliminate all the personal influence, the blogs, arguments, product loyalities, ETC. to come up with the "perfect" "survival" weapon combo. The requirements are simple One Hand Gun with a PDW(personal defense weapon) of same caliber and one Hunting weapon. Primary reason is simple mobility and ammo consoldation.
We came up with the Glock 22 and the Kel-tec combo for the pistol and PDW (both fully field tested) and a Scoped SKS (didnt want any more mags to haul) for big game and if need, another defense weapon.
All of you out there know that when relying on foot travel weight fast becomes a issue so this is what we came up with to give us a balance of defense and hunting and weight....
This may need to go in the "weapons" thread but its really aimed at preppers and survivalist.
Any input or Ideas?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

hand gun? .357 magnum revolver

melee weapon? the Crovel

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Personally, I think just a couple glock 22's with this: www.mechtechsys.com... would be just fine. Get a couple of these to have on hand with a few regular sized mags: www.mississippiautoarms.com...
See, if you had 2 g22's you have replacement parts to always keep one running, and with one in carbine mode, you have hunting, and further range for defense. The carbine kit is so light, and compact, I can carry mine in my backpack, and transition whenever needed.
This is the other piece I would bring with: www.impactguns.com...
Keep this guy shoulder slung and on the ready.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

The crovel made me laugh, it reminded me of the lobo from world war z. I can finally have my very own lobo :-) I've always wanted one. This piece looks pretty efficient

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just to clarify, are you referring to the KelTec Sub2000 in .40S&W to go along with the Glock 22?

What were your thoughts on shotguns (perhaps the KelTec KSG if you could actually buy one)?

What were your primary factors in picking the SKS? Ammo availability?

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa
[mor

Yes the Sub 2000
Wven though I own a few Shotguns I eliminated them from our "Mobile " package because of the Ammo weight and bulk.
I went with the SKS because, quite frankly, I couldn't think of a more reliable weapon which was semi auto, held ten rounds and had no magazines. especially in a .30 cal

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
FN P90 with a Sig Sauer P556 as a side arm.

ETA: Availability of the weapons might be spotty but enough governments use the 5.56 that it would probably fairly easy to 'come across' in a SHTF situation.
edit on 3/18/13 by TokiTheDestroyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Go with the Winchester model 1873 and the Colt single action army revolver. Both use the .44-40 cartridge and they are both time tested as reliable.

You don't really need all this fancy bling with the new weapons. Stick with what has worked in the past.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

I like the Winchester idea above . . . However, if you want to go with the bling, as HopeChest put it . . .

Glock 21 handgun and a Kriss Vector carbine. Both are essentially the same weapon, as Kriss used the G 21 in the design of the Vector. They are both .45 ACP.

If you are unfamiliar with the Kriss Vector, it is the gun that everyone used in the Total Recall remake.

Kriss Vector

However, these weapons would not be good options for hunting small-medium size game (as nothing in the .40s would be), as it would destroy whatever you are hunting.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Go with the Winchester model 1873 and the Colt single action army revolver. Both use the .44-40 cartridge and they are both time tested as reliable.

You don't really need all this fancy bling with the new weapons. Stick with what has worked in the past.

I agree 100% however I'd use guns chambered for a more common cartridge so my vote would be for Winchester Model 1892 20" Carbine and Ruger GP100 4" both chambered in .357 mag the GP100 is more overbuilt than any other revolver around today but it weighs a ton thats the only downside. Modern semi's are much more reliable than they used to be but still can't hold a candle to the tried and true history of the Lever Action and Revolver.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
reply to post by CSBowie

I like the Winchester idea above . . . However, if you want to go with the bling, as HopeChest put it . . .

Glock 21 handgun and a Kriss Vector carbine. Both are essentially the same weapon, as Kriss used the G 21 in the design of the Vector. They are both .45 ACP.

If you are unfamiliar with the Kriss Vector, it is the gun that everyone used in the Total Recall remake.

Kriss Vector

However, these weapons would not be good options for hunting small-medium size game (as nothing in the .40s would be), as it would destroy whatever you are hunting.

Yes but small to medium size game you should be trapping, now wasting ammo on.

In my humble opinion of course.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I starred you on premise. But, I guess that depends on your definition of size...

I'd consider AZ's desert mulies, pronghorns, and javalina medium size game and I wouldn't think you are going to trap any of those species. Maybe javalina, but I certainly wouldn't want to deal with one that's been trapped!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'd say you could do fairly well with an AR-15, an AR-57 upper, and an FN Five-Seven.

So you have the option to configure one rifle to two different calibers. One for larger game, one for smaller game and personal defense. Then a hand gun which uses the same caliber. Plus low recoil, ample stopping power and plenty of ammo per mag.

The only downsides would be that you would be carrying 3 types of magazines (The 30-round AR mags, the 50 round P90 mags and the 20 or 30 round five-seven mags) and the 5.7x28 ammo is a bit expensive and not as abundant as other pistol calibers.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
reply to post by Hopechest

I starred you on premise. But, I guess that depends on your definition of size...

I'd consider AZ's desert mulies, pronghorns, and javalina medium size game and I wouldn't think you are going to trap any of those species. Maybe javalina, but I certainly wouldn't want to deal with one that's been trapped!

Ha....you apparently have never learned how to set a proper snare.

I actually learned the technique from some of my Navajo friends down here who we used to go hiking with out in the desert. All you need to do is catch one leg.

As for killing it that's nothing more than throwing a few big rocks to stun it.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

p90 is a cool weapon but the ammo would be problematic to find in us its not 223 remington like most ar type rifles it is 5.7×28 which is an uncommon cartridge it the us only p90 and the five seven pistol are known to buse that ammo.. now they make cut down m4 clones in 223 remington and 9 mm voth of which would be fairly easy to find ammo.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I'm gonna go with a 12 gauge shotgun because it's great for defense and you can hunt all sizes of game with it.

For a blade I'm going with A full tang kukri that could be used for self defense as well as chopping/trimming wood and cleaning game and making traps n shelter.(no offense but the Winchester bowie isn't a good choice, poor steel n poor heat treat wont allow it to last as long, you get what you pay for with that knife. You want something that can take abuse, just in case. You don't want to risk breaking such a valuable tool)

I would also choose a staff/bo for self defense. It can be doubled as a walking stick and it could also disarm someone that is out of striking distance. If you know how to use a bo you can inflict some serious damage.
edit on 19-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
AK47

Remington 870 pump action 12 gauge (00 buckshot)
Remington 700 bolt action 30-06 or .308

Smith & Wesson .357 magnum
Glock .45 ACP

Machete/Khukri
Hatchet/Tomahawk
Tactical Knife

I would throw in .38 special, though not "the best", should be considered just because of it's proliferation, and the .357 magnum can fire the same ammo.
edit on 19/3/13 by SlackOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I like the .22 just because the ammo is small, light, and cheap. I can carry a ton of rounds easily.

In a SHTF environment, versatility and variety would likely be key. I'd want a .22 pistol, a modern crossbow (for silence), a good knife, and a good machete, and I think I'd be alright.

(If there's zombies though, add in a metal baseball bat....less infected blood that way).

top topics

join