It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lady Liberty Tasered By Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

FORT WORTH, Texas - A 19-year-old man dressed as the Statue of Liberty was shocked with a Taser and arrested for resisting arrest after he refused to leave a Fort Worth roadway median. It happened in the 4800 block of North Tarrant Boulevard on Monday just before 2 p.m. According to the arrest report, Officer R.T. Greer was on his way to another call when he saw Channing Gould dancing in the median. Greer said he told Gould to leave twice on his patrol car public address, but, Gould would not leave. After another warning, Gould waved off the officer and reportedly said he was working and told the officer, "this is not your jurisdiction, get away from me," according to the police report.

For crying out loud, this kid was just doing his job.

I think these cops should be required to watch the first two seasons of Andy Griffith.

And "way to go" to Liberty Tax for firing him
good job standing by your employees!

(anyone catch the irony here?)

Liberty is the enemy, freedom should be destroyed!

www.myfoxdfw.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I think these cops should be required to watch the first two seasons of Andy Griffith.

I don't know how much it would affect them.

I think they should be armed with the same weapon that he carried.... a brain. You can't just buy one of those though.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I dunno. I mean, if some boss had told me to go stand near a busy road, and a copper came along and told me to move off that area, I'd consider heading back to work and telling the boss the cops said no.

Let him deal with them, rather than this. Which seems to me, a case of "My boss said to come here, so Im not obeying any of your instructions.. Ouch you tazered me, why! Ouch you did it again. Stop it." ignorance on demand.

I guess he was expecting his boss to have more say in the matter...

Still, I don't think the boss of a tax agency is more knowledgeable about laws to prevent distractions to traffic than some copper... I'd have moved. Screw the boss, as far as I care, he can deal with the cops when they tell him No he can't have an employee out on that strip.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
probably illegal to stand in the median ... shoulda moved.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Let's tell the whole story for those who won't click the link.

Officer Greer placed Gould under arrest for violating the city ordinance regarding distributing, selling, or soliciting on medians and traffic islands.

Gould refused to get into the police car, prompting the officer to call for back up and pull his Taser.

Read more: www.myfoxdfw.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

This situation could have been avoided if the dude had just left.

But to be honest, I'm sick and tired of cops.

Theres not one week where we dont hear about a cop assaulting, tasering or committing some other kind of crime.

If this was any other group of people: Moslems, Hispanics, Blacks, etc.; there would be an uproar.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
What is this cop's problem?! Doh! Gee... what a shocker. To see Liberty Taxes with a Lady Liberty dude out waving the sign. I'm SO shocked..... Was this cop a rookie? Did he JUST ARRIVE in town or something?? We have TWO of those people paid to do that and this isn't THAT big a town. They aren't a nuisance at all. In fact, I think it's kinda cute and shows we still have work ethic around here. (You need it to stand out there doing that for the whole day.. lol)

Personally, I think it's atrocious. The guy was WORKING. He said he was WORKING..and the boss who sent him there was across the street ..just like they are here. The cop should have asked and learned what was going on, not played King Cop to "Do as I order because *I* ordered it!".

An additional thing... Shot in the FACE!? REALLY??!?! We're shooting people in the FACE with damn tasers?!

(If anyone would wonder..why I'm pissed? observe what tasers can do when shot into someone's face)

Now then..... He's LUCKY the dart didn't hit a couple inches lower or we'd be making pirate jokes about an eye patch for the rest of his life. I'd say this "Police Officer"...and I use that term VERY VERY loosely....needs thrown back into the POST Academy to learn some basic things about police work and not KILLING or BLINDING the citizens he comes in contact with simply for working...like we wish so many more could and/or would do.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
i woulda' busted him for crossdressing ...
wouldn't have whipped out my 'taser' though!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Yes, of course he should have left the median....

The point is another officer decides to taser instead of handling the situation peacefully.

It's becoming a daily occurrence in the US.

And, the kid shouldn't have been fired. The manager of the business should have received a citation, that's it.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There was one city where there were so MANY face, groin, and boob shots, that the city had to issue policy statement after policy statement, culminating in 'one more time and you're off the force', followed by another set of 'if you pull out the barbs one more time to prevent action on the previous edict, you will ALSO be off the force'.

Personally, I'd be all for "hit the face or nads, and the victim gets one free go at YOU with a taser" but hey, we're little people and don't count.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hopefully that tazer shocked some intelligence into this dufus.

Probably not but we can hope.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

That is exactly how TPTB want you to think.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

In all honesty a taser shouldn't be used 90% time it is used. I know you say that tongue in cheek or at least I seem to hope so.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
He should have followed the cop's orders. However, I think the cop was very likely too quick to use the taser. I mean, he waited for backup to arrive before trying to apprehend him. Unless he was reaching for a weapon or something, there was no reason to taser him, especially in the face.

I'd like to see the police report, but can't find a link.
edit on 17-3-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
In Pennsylvania, a cop can shoot a person that is fleeing from the scene of a felony if they fail to stop when ordered to by an officer.
It doesn't matter if the person is deaf and is actually fleeing from a bad guy, legally, the cop can shoot them.

We are treated to a lot of cases where a person failing to comply to an officers demands are subjected to torture by an electrical shock. Maybe the guy was breaking the law, maybe he wasn't. Cops do not know the laws. That is proven often in court. Face it , there are so many laws on the books today, a cop would have to be pretty extraordinary to know them all.
If the guy had complied, it would have made things a lot easier. I would have complied, then I would have verified what the law is and if it wasn't illegal, I would be right back out there on the median.

I still believe that cops are too eager to use the taser.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Google search about cops, brutality and metally challenged people sometime. People that aren't as intelligent as everyone wishes they were are often beaten and sometimes killed by cops simply because they don't fully comprehend what is happening to them. I'm not saying that this is the case here.
What I am saying is that tasers do not necessarily impart intelligence to their victims. If they did, universities would not waste their money paying professors.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Reaching for a weapon?

The torch or the tablet inscribed July 4, 1776 ?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No video of the actual tasing and arrest??

Now that would be entertainment... Maybe a CCTV video will show up
and we can at least get a good laugh. I am very disappointed..
edit on 17-3-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Reaching for a weapon?

The torch or the tablet inscribed July 4, 1776 ?

He was carrying neither. Pretty crappy outfit actually.

Who was the OP on this? We need some sort of indicator

Point is... only one side of the story so far

new topics

top topics

join