It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world might end on december 21th 2012 after all.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So its only been 650 years since the Normans popped over the channel?, but anyway since the war of independence hasn't been fought yet could our cousins in the new world please stop messing with those guns and get back to work making plenty of taxable income for the crown please

I'll assume though that since i'm just getting ready to head out that no physical time has been lost its just someones messing with the labels so i only skimmed through it

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
reply to post by bismarck

Interesting theory which can be shot down in flames due to something that theorists forget. History can actually be measured and cross referenced. So dig up some bones in a grave dated 500ad. Carbon date the bones and hey presto you can find out if the date matches the physics of atomic decay !

With lots of grave sites carbon dated you can be damned sure we have not missed 300 years !!!!!!

FYI :carbon is not the only element with isotopes. something the "carbon dating is flawed" conspiracists seem to forget. Carbon dating is great for determining when something that lived died.

Then there's tree rings, ice cores etc etc.

Your dating techniques are dated; found wanting after being weighed thousands of times before.

Fizzix

Carbon dating is a mainstay of geology and archaeology - but an enormous peak discovered in the amount of carbon-14 in the atmosphere between 45 thousand and 11 thousand years ago casts doubt on the biological carbon cycle that underpins the technique.

The article provides enough information for the learned person to be able to deduce that carbon-14 dating is impractical. The earth has constantly been in violence; it has never been "stable". It is a lazy researcher's dream that the earth had hypothetically stayed silent while all of these wonderful chemical processes were taking place... but because we know that the earth is constantly being bombarded from all directions and also in itself with interference, then we know that we cannot rely on the lazy research methods, such as carbon-dating. It seems nice on the surface, but the reality is that you would have to believe that the earth has been quiet for thousands and thousands of years in order for the system to be accurate. And well, the earth has not been quiet. I needn't explain all the disasters that happen upon the earth every day, and how often, all around the world all the time, for only God knows how long. I think y'all know that.

Understand that radiocarbon has its OWN years; they do not match up to calendar years. The elements were not infused with the Gregorian calendar.

A radiocarbon year is raw data. That's all.

Calibration methods The raw radiocarbon dates, in BP years, are calibrated to give calendar dates. Standard calibration curves are available, based on comparison of radiocarbon dates of samples that can be dated independently by other methods such as examination of tree growth rings (dendrochronology), deep ocean sediment cores, lake sediment varves, coral samples, and speleothems (cave deposits

Source

Notice how the raw data is calibrated using circular means? The compare the ages with other things that are not known for a fact -- comparing nature to nature is not going to give you accurate timing;; all they do is correlate anomalous behaviors -- not determine for HOW LONG in our Gregorian Calendar these lasted.
It's called "Wiggle Matching."

Wiggle matching uses the non-linear relationship between the 14C age and calendar age to match the shape of a series of closely sequentially spaced 14C dates with the 14C calibration curve.

From the same source.

Look at the Source link above and go check out the math.

They do a pretty good job, don't get me wrong. It's a pretty cool method of dating. But it's extremely fickle, inaccurate, and based upon way too many assumptions.

One of these admitted assumptions is:

Approximate dating For approximate analysis it is assumed that the cosmic ray flux is constant over long periods of time; thus carbon-14 is produced at a constant rate and the proportion of radioactive to non-radioactive carbon is constant: ca. 1 part per trillion (600 billion atoms/mole).

Further proof that these methods are unreliable, because of the introduction of the "curve".

Accurate dating In 1958, Hessel de Vries showed that the concentration of carbon-14 in the atmosphere varies with both time and locality.[8] In order to obtain the most accurate results in carbon dating, calibration curves must be employed.[9]

And an example of assuming and acting in ignorance; yes, this is admitted.

Other mechanisms of producing C-14 14C can also be produced at ground level at a rate of 1 x 10−4 atoms per gram per second, which is not considered significant enough to impact on dating without a known other source of neutrons.[10]

Unfortunately, the best history we get is STILL from written accounts. It's a harsh reality for historians to face. But they do. They compare their findings to what has been written and already understood for verification!

Yes, mankind can easily miss 300 years.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Does the year we live in really matter? Is it that important that today is March 17, 2013? Does time even matter? The way i see it, is we have daytime and nighttime. All this calendar stuff is totally irrelevant.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I am not sure where they get 200 some odd years out of that mishap. Where the Julian calendar should have produced a shift of 13 days with the Gregorian, as you stated, they instead chose to use 10. Which would mean we are missing three days per year since its inception (1582).

1582 - 2012 was 430 years. Multiply that by 3 days per year it means we are off by 1,290 days.

Considering this is truth this would set the real December 21st, 2012, by my estimates will be:

Sunday, July 3rd, 2016.

Interestingly enough July 3rd is the exact halfway mark of the leap year 2016.

*Edit to add.*

I knew the number of days sounded familiar. 1,290 days is a little bit over the recommended Tribulation time according to The Bible. (1,260 days). Just thought I would throw that in there for some people who care.

edit on 17-3-2013 by TheNewRevolution because: Edited to add something.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Any errors in counting years are completely irrelevent when looking for the rollover date of the mayan bak'tun. The mayan calendar system is based on the astrological configuration of the galaxy. The 2012 date is calculated by reverse engineering the mayan calendar and comparing it to our current astrological configuration.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I never believed the whole "end of the world" crap about 2012. You can't prdict such a thing.

I believe the mayans simply believed it was the dawn of a new era, or age if you will. This new era would be dictated by astronomy, which they were very sophisticated in.

It's kind of like the chinese zodiac, after so long, one animal transitions into the next, and the cycle continues.

There wasn't some sort of huge "change" that was supposed to occur, just the continue in a astrological cycle.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join