It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ATS Members Know Anything about old Records (78's)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I was walking down the High Street of my local town yesterday and walked passed a music shop that sells guitars, keyboards, drums and the like. At the side of the main entrance to the shop I noticed out of the corner of my eye an A4 piece of paper with the word FREE written on it in thick felt pen. As I looked down again I noticed that there were two piles of old records just sitting on the step. Anyway, as I looked closer I realized that the records were old 78’s, and then I thought, I am having these, they are free, why not?

I love old retro/vintage stuff and delving through old times passed, this was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down, after all, you never know what you may find do you?

Anyway, I went and got some strong bags from a shop because one 78 record is heavy let alone loads of them in bulk. I filled up the bags with the records and walked to the bus stop to go home, they were so heavy I thought my hands were going to fall off. I eventually got home just holding off a heart attack from my on the spot work out session and counted out on the kitchen table that there were nearly 150 records. Some of the artists on the records I had never heard of so I decided to put to one side the artists that I had come across or heard of before.

Here is a list of some of the records that I put to one side. I can’t work out what the A or B side is so I have divided the track listings with a forward slash. I have also added the record label next to the artist in brackets. I can’t seem to find any dates of issue on the records.

I just wondered if there were any members here on ATS who may have knowledge of how to find out if any of these records are worth any money. I am pretty good when it comes to furniture and clothing, but I don’t know much about 78 records.

So can anybody out there shed any light whatsoever on the records below? I am intrigued by the Les Paul record, but I think that is more to do with guitars etc.

Les Paul (Capitol) By the light of the Silvery Moon/Walkin and Whistlin

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) White Christmas/Let’s start the New Year Right

Gracie Fields (Regal/Zonophone) Land of Hope and Glory/The Holy City

Frank Sinatra (Columbia) I’ll make up for Everything/Christmas Dreaming

Frank Sinatra& the Andrews Sisters (Brunswick) Have I told you Lately that I love you/Quicksilver

Lonnie Donegan (Pye/Nixa) My Dixie Darling/I’m Just a Rollin Stone

Johnnie Ray (Columbia) The Lady Drinks Champagne/Give me Time

Al Jolson (Brunswick) When I leave the world behind/I wish I had a girl

Spike Jones and his City Slickers (HMV) A serenade to a jerk/Leave the dishes in the sink

Vera Lynn (Decca) When they sound the last all clear/Goodbye Heartaches

David Whitfield (Decca) Dance Gipsy Dance/Answer me

Benny Goodman (Parlophone) A Smo-o-o-oth One/Good enough to keep

Spike Jones and his City Slickers (HMV) Lulu had a baby/I went to your wedding

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) Someday sweetheart/Let me call you

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) Marcheta/Can’t read this side

Josef Locke (Columbia) My heart and I/Goodbye

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) Girl of my dreams/Mary’s a grand old name

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) Going my way/Swinging on a star

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) If I had my way/Wrap your troubles in dreams

Bing Crosby (Brunswick) Lights out the Reveille/You and I

Josef Locke (Columbia) Goodbye/My heart and I

Al Jolson (Brunswick) Anniversary Song/Avalon

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Here are questions that come to mind..

Are these 45's?

Do any of them contain their original covers and do they still have the plastic over them?

Do they have scratches on the records them self ....

...and if they are still packaged, how does the packaging look?

www.ehow.com...

1 Check to see if they've been played. The surface of that old LP will turn grey after many turns on a phonograph. Unfortunately this greatly reduces their value.
2 Check to see if the record still has its original cardboard cover and protective sleeve. The protective sleeve is usually made of paper and protects the LP from scratches and abrasions when it's pulled out of its cardboard cover. Both should be in good to excellent condition for the LP to be worth anything.
3 Check the surface of the record for abrasions or scratches. If the surface is less than pristine, it isn't worth very much.
4 Check the album cover for any writing (other than the artist's autograph, which increases the value), fading or damage. This can also have a big effect on its value.
5 Selling your collection to a dealer can result in either a ton of cash (for albums that have never been played or abused) to a few cents apiece (for those that are "used"). Unfortunately, once a record has been played, its value drops dramatically. Dealers often sell records classified as "used" for $2-to-$4 apiece, so it would be wise to shop around for the best offer. Read more: How to Determine Value of Record Albums | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

edit on 14-3-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hey....

A few sites to help

78rpms.com...

www.gracyk.com...

www.vintage78s.com...

reviews.ebay.com...

The best thing is just to do some research, google some of the records and just see what they go for.
Perhaps take a small selection to another record store and see what they say.

CX

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Are these 45's?

He says in the title they are 78's.

On my last day of primary school, my teacher said we could help ourselfs to anything out of his cupboard, i got lod of Peter and The Wolf 78's, they were real heavy.

Fell out with my mum and she got rid of them so i heard lol.

CX

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Ha!!! Thanks! Had a blonde moment..... gosh its been so long.

I was thinking 1978.... sorry to say. hahaha

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Cool find. I have some 78's that my folks left me. I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you want to know about the recordings, can't you just do a search on the record name, artist, label....to get the info you need?

Of course you know that you're going to need a record player, one that has 78 speed. They're making new ones these days, that look all retro, lol. But, maybe you can find one at a thrift shop. I remember using one that was in a box about 18"x18"x8, you just lifted the lid and voila, easy listening!

Or, you can turn them into art! Vi nyl Record Art

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Are these 45's?

Do any of them contain their original covers and do they still have the plastic over them?

Do they have scratches on the records them self ....

...and if they are still packaged, how does the packaging look?

www.ehow.com...

1 Check to see if they've been played. The surface of that old LP will turn grey after many turns on a phonograph. Unfortunately this greatly reduces their value.
2 Check to see if the record still has its original cardboard cover and protective sleeve. The protective sleeve is usually made of paper and protects the LP from scratches and abrasions when it's pulled out of its cardboard cover. Both should be in good to excellent condition for the LP to be worth anything.
3 Check the surface of the record for abrasions or scratches. If the surface is less than pristine, it isn't worth very much.
4 Check the album cover for any writing (other than the artist's autograph, which increases the value), fading or damage. This can also have a big effect on its value.
5 Selling your collection to a dealer can result in either a ton of cash (for albums that have never been played or abused) to a few cents apiece (for those that are "used"). Unfortunately, once a record has been played, its value drops dramatically. Dealers often sell records classified as "used" for $2-to-$4 apiece, so it would be wise to shop around for the best offer. Read more: How to Determine Value of Record Albums | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

edit on 14-3-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

Thanks for your reply.....

These are 78's, they are all 10 inch records, they are not vinyl they are shellac records which was what records were made of before vinyl was introduced. Going by the artists on the records the latest record I think on the list is by Lonnie Donegan which I believe was the early 50's, all the other records are earlier. I have to do a proper search to see what dates the other records were released...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Hey....

A few sites to help

78rpms.com...

www.gracyk.com...

www.vintage78s.com...

reviews.ebay.com...

The best thing is just to do some research, google some of the records and just see what they go for.
Perhaps take a small selection to another record store and see what they say.

Wow, thanks for the info of the websites I shall do a search and let you know how I get on and if I am gonna be a millionaire....haha...........you never know do you?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by davethebear

Cool find. I have some 78's that my folks left me. I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you want to know about the recordings, can't you just do a search on the record name, artist, label....to get the info you need?

Of course you know that you're going to need a record player, one that has 78 speed. They're making new ones these days, that look all retro, lol. But, maybe you can find one at a thrift shop. I remember using one that was in a box about 18"x18"x8, you just lifted the lid and voila, easy listening!

Or, you can turn them into art! Vi nyl Record Art

Yeah, I suppose that even if they aren't worth anything I could use them for art work. I do a lot of painting, so maybe I could use them in another way in a creative manner.....

Cheers........

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Wow,do I feel old!!!

You came upon a pile of gold,my friend.

My kids called them giant cd's!

Peace,
K

CX

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Wow,do I feel old!!!

Peace,
K

At least yours recognized them as music......when mine were younger, we were looking round a second hand shop when my eldest came running over shouting, "DAD!!! I GOTTA FRISBEE!!!!"

She had a LP in her hand.

CX.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by kdog1982
Wow,do I feel old!!!

Peace,
K

At least yours recognized them as music......when mine were younger, we were looking round a second hand shop when my eldest came running over shouting, "DAD!!! I GOTTA FRISBEE!!!!"

She had a LP in her hand.

CX.

Hahahaha...............Brilliant........................When I was putting the records into the bags outside the shop a young girl went passed and she asked me what they were while she was listening to her ipod.......Ooooh, how I miss the crackle when you used to put the needle on the record, there is nothing like that sound.....

top topics

join