More Lies About Red Meat Killing You!

page: 3
11
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by minor007
Just because i didnt mention monounsaturates in the arguement dosent make what I said about palmitic acid any less true. Providing the food source has a higher unsaturated fat content than palmitic acid then palmitic acid is not dangerous.

Talk about confessing without admitting anything.

Seems to me that rendering palmitic acid not dangerous by the inclusion of a source of monounsaturated fat makes your whole "palmitic acid" rant rather pointless.


red meat does not contain enough or none at all unsaturated fats, thats the point. maybe you should actually read whats been said b4 u make a pointless comment




posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by minor007
 

I did read. Unless your eating meat with nothing else then your point is moot.



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by minor007
 


This from a person who complained about name calling being childish.

The sad part is that it was you who said that palmitic acid can be rendered "not dangerous" but somehow agreeing with you about that is wrong as well? Go figure.



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by minor007
 


This from a person who complained about name calling being childish.

The sad part is that it was you who said that palmitic acid can be rendered "not dangerous" but somehow agreeing with you about that is wrong as well? Go figure.


my very 1st post in this thread.


Look up Palmitic Acid.......Only way you cant eat palmitic acid safely is to combine it with linoleic acid and red meat dosent have linoleic acid just high concentrations of palmitic acid.
.

In one of the follow up post I said this



Palmitic acid is produced naturally by the human body. We dont need palmitic acid in our diet. As I said where palmitic acid is found else where other than red meat it is found alongside linoleic acid which is always at a higher concentration than palmitic acid

Ok fair enough I did omit to say most food sources if not all contain palmitic acid. So I explain it better for you. You are saying eat red meat with lots of olive oil and this will reduce the risk of palmitic acid in the meat to be less harmful.. WRONG
For arguements sake lets say a source of meat has 18grams of palmitic acid and no unsaturated fat. Olive oil contains 10grams of unsaurated fat and 2grams of palmitic acid. (the numbers are not exact but for this purpose its not needed to be exact). So we can say olive oil has a ratio of 5:1 of unsaturated fat to saturated fat. This ratio is important because should the palmitic content increases the less effective unsaturated fat is going to be protecting the body from harm caused by palmitic acid. Now as you eat that piece of red meat with your olive oil it is going to add to the olive oil palmitic content another 18g . That makes a total of 20 grams of palmitic acid going into your body with only 10g of unsaturated fat. making the ratio 1:2 in favour of saturated fat making the benefits of the unsaturated fat pointless.
Do you understand now? YOu wanna cry to mommy now?
edit on 18-3-2013 by minor007 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by minor007
 

Where did you get 18grams of palmitic acid from? If the amount is inflated then yes the amount of monounsaturated fats to counter it would have to be exaggerated. A 4 oz portion of beef with 2% fat would have less than .6 gram:

4 oz = 112 grams
112 grams * 2% fat = 2.24 grams of fat
2.24 grams * 25% (palmitic acid) = .56 grams

Even the fattest cuts only have 15% saturated fat which would not be all palmitic acid.

So it would seem to me that a couple of tablespoons of olive oil has more than enough monounsaturated fats to counter the palmitic acid in even large portions of red meat.



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by minor007
 

Where did you get 18grams of palmitic acid from? If the amount is inflated then yes the amount of monounsaturated fats to counter it would have to be exaggerated. A 4 oz portion of beef with 2% fat would have less than .6 gram:

4 oz = 112 grams
112 grams * 2% fat = 2.24 grams of fat
2.24 grams * 25% (palmitic acid) = .56 grams

Even the fattest cuts only have 15% saturated fat which would not be all palmitic acid.

So it would seem to me that a couple of tablespoons of olive oil has more than enough monounsaturated fats to counter the palmitic acid in even large portions of red meat.



Saturated fatty acids comprise, on average, 40% of total fatty acids in the lean component and 48% in the fat component of red meat. In beef and veal, approximately half of the saturated fatty acid in both the lean and fat component of red meat is palmitic acid (16:0), and about a third is stearic acid (18:0). In lamb and mutton, the proportions of these two fatty acids are more similar. There is little variation between cuts in the proportion of fatty acids. Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) range from 11% to 29% of total fatty acids.


You can find the total acid content of food here

bacon contains 18g of palmitic acid per 20g btw......
But I digress The main acid that combats palmitic acid is called linoleic acid. linoleic acid is not a monounsaturated fat. Its a polyunsaturate.
edit on 18-3-2013 by minor007 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by minor007

red meat does not contain enough or none at all unsaturated fats, thats the point. maybe you should actually read whats been said b4 u make a pointless comment


... Except that half of the fat in most red meat, say steak for instance, is Oleic acid... which is the main constituent of Olive Oil and is an unsaturated fat. It's unreal how much you're tripping over your own statements.



posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by minor007

bacon contains 18g of palmitic acid per 20g btw
 

Your link shows bacon has 9g per 100 gram serving or ten times the amount you are stating here.

Seeing that fast food is often targeted here is the nutritional data for a Whopper with cheese

Points of interest:
Total Saturated Fats (Bad Fats) 18.27112g
Total Monounsaturated Fat (Good Fats) 15.98328g
Total Polyunsaturated Fat (Good Fats) 11.95744g
------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.66g more good fats than bad

Palmitic Acid [Hexadecanoic Acid] 9.9698g
Linoleic Acid [Octadecadienoic Acid] 10.4754g

So Whoppers with cheese are on the OK list.





new topics

top topics



 
11
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join