It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Sunday Assembly goes worldwide, the future is bright for non-believers

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by grainofsand
reply to post by SaturnFX

Do you think they'll force an upgrade for the OS? I'm pretty happy with Life1.0 as it is.

Cloud computing....its all good.

Hopefully I can uninstall the Religion Application, or at least disable it next time I respawn

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

Ah, sorry, I missed it.
Hmm, I guess it would all depend on the circumstances.
I wouldn't fancy being a lonely invisible energy-floaty-around type thing unable to communicate with others, but the idea of some warm and fuzzy afterlife would obviously have an appeal.
I just assume the transfer of energy will be as simple as becoming worm food though, no-one has shown me anything to draw me towards believing otherwise.

When I die, I will wake up, remove the neural connections, and note my game score in the sim.
will probably go another round in a hundred or so years.
After all, we, being a race so scientifically advanced we beat mortality long ago, have plenty of time to do so.

I will wait for my group to get done their game though..not sure if I want to do the digital simulation again..might try the dawning of intergalactic flight scenario...bit longer of a game, about 150 years..good fun though.
Normally I don't like MMO, but these life simulators we are in are pretty good. amazing detail. I hear they are going to be adding in quarks in the next update.

Very interesting, and I believe this lies much closer to the actuality of things than you may imagine.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1

Originally posted by OOOOOO
reply to post by grainofsand

That is almost the most stupid thing I have ever heard, the atheist church, they don't believe but need a church to prove it, is that a Oxymoron or not.

After 30 pages of the OP saying this is not an "atheist church" - it's just a God-free/religion free place to socialize...you come in and call it an "atheist church". And then call the OP ignorant.

Irony - not only ironic, but funny too!
I didn't bother to read past first part

After the outstanding success of the first Sunday Assembly at a former church in London, the demand has spread and local groups are now being formed across the UK, and as far afield as New York (US) and Melbourne (Australia).

www.google.com...

Britain's atheist church is barely three months old but it already has more "worshippers" than can fit into its services, while more than 200 non-believers worldwide have contacted organisers to ask how they can set up their own branch.

Funny it says atheist Chuurch and on Sunday yet, but Sunday is the day of worship to Creator, that's even more oxymoron, Satuday is day of rest. Maybe they should use Monday.

May the Lord smite thee, only if wants to. I have no say

edit on 13-3-2013 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExquisitExamplE
Very interesting, and I believe this lies much closer to the actuality of things than you may imagine.

Obviously its a little bit of a joke, but its 100% equal with any other religion, and it actually has a bit of precedence also (holographic universe, etc etc etc)..but still a bit of a joke fantasy more than any well constructed hypothesis.

The processing power alone to render reality for 7 billion people would be incomprehensible (unless they were jacking the processing off our minds also for help). Could be done I suppose with maybe a few hundred years of steady computer evolution..but I don't know. Meh, maybe..but that is the argument of essence verses existence...

A man was being hunted by a tiger..he stopped for a moment to wonder if he was dreaming, in which case, his essence was not in danger and he would simply wake up. He decided however existence..the life he knew, was of critical importance over the essence..and so he continued to run from the tiger. Since there was no tell tale signs of him being in a dream (such as him sprouting wings or whatever other absurd action that defies physics), then it must be assumed it is reality.

So, we must assume then that this is reality...until such a time as it proves otherwise.
aka, we must keep running from the tiger.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OOOOOO
Funny it says atheist Chuurch and on sunday yet, but Sunday is the day of worship to Creator, that even more oxymoron, Satuday is day of rest. Maybe they should use Monday.

Saturday is Sabbath (last day of the week). Not sunday...sunday is a work day like any other day.

You can thank modernization for that calendar change.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

Firstly, I'm grateful for the spirit of your intentions in sharing that here.
I have read a little about Bub Hill before, and as you can imagine I am not drawn to believing in it myself.
It is an interesting perspective though and if true, would be mindblowing for pretty much everyone. I can only change my various beliefs (or lack thereof) as my experiences influence my thinking, but until such a time I shall just continue living my life with good intentions and hope for the best.
Again though, thank you for your kind intentions

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Z32Driver

Hey no worries

...to be honest, I was just as worried about the "you'll burn!" brigade getting back into the thread and spoiling things with their irrational contributions. I'm trying my best to keep their supply of ammunition as limited as possible just so that any attacks on atheists can be seen for what they are, hate filled intolerance.

So if this is how you view Christians in your own thread, why would anyone think you would get together with "like minds" and not just bash Christians?
But hey, if you do go to one of these meetings, I'd love to hear how it went. You could report your findings to the ATS community.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Hey no worries

...to be honest, I was just as worried about the "you'll burn!" brigade getting back into the thread and spoiling things with their irrational contributions. I'm trying my best to keep their supply of ammunition as limited as possible just so that any attacks on atheists can be seen for what they are, hate filled intolerance.

So if this is how you view Christians in your own thread, why would anyone think you would get together with "like minds" and not just bash Christians?
But hey, if you do go to one of these meetings, I'd love to hear how it went. You could report your findings to the ATS community.

I've had my fair share of abuse from the keyboards of Christians at ATS, here's a favourite from one of my other threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Frankly I'm appalled that you don't believe in God ,you should be killed denying your creator.Hell is heating up for people like you.

Such abuse is why I try very hard to avoid giving ammunition to people like that. Obviously such extreme views do not fairly represent the average person with faith but unfortunately they do exist out there with their hatred at the ready.

Regarding sharing my experiences at a meeting, I shall hopefully be hooking up with a few people next week and will of course post an update in this thread

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Equally, if I was down my local beach and the sea parted with someone floating in the sky above saying 'I am your God'

See, here's the thing, people attach a human face to something they don't understand because it makes it more relatable. So when you want proof of the existence of God, you expect to see a human face coming toward you and speaking in your language.
In the Hindu scriptures, they attached both human and animal faces to aspects of the Godhead. Shiva is the destroyer of evil, Kali his consort who also destroys evil, Laksmi is a bestower of abundance, Saraswati represents knowledge, music, and the arts. Hanuman had a monkey form and Ganesha an elephant form.
In China, Quan Yin is the sponsor of family and is depicted with many arms for the many tasks she undertakes to help people.
These are symbolic representations of aspects of consciousness.

Sadly, many people see only the materialistic side of things, even of science.

Would you really want to be a soulless person who just dies at the end of your life? Do you ever wonder what is the meaning of life outside the mundane workaday life and beer with a football game?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Hey no worries

I've had my fair share of abuse from the keyboards of Christians at ATS, here's a favourite from one of my other threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Frankly I'm appalled that you don't believe in God ,you should be killed denying your creator.Hell is heating up for people like you.

Such abuse is why I try very hard to avoid giving ammunition to people like that. Obviously such extreme views do not fairly represent the average person with faith but unfortunately they do exist out there with their hatred at the ready.

Regarding sharing my experiences at a meeting, I shall hopefully be hooking up with a few people next week and will of course post an update in this thread

Were you brave enough to refuse to take an oath on the bible, or did you agree to the abuse of the court system by laying your hand on the bible to pretend that it'll prove you truthful?
Honest question.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Ok I appreciate your point with that one about the person being appalled and such. I can understand your wanting to be free of that.

I knew a woman at work who said she had been a nun in a past life, and now in this one she just did not want to be in religious mode. So the soul's need to focus on other aspects can be respected.

People have viewed my responses as a fear of atheists, but I am coming only from a point of view of what I have studied as the NWO agenda. After all this is a conspiracy site, and I believe I am the only one to even bring up the secret society Skull and Bones in any of this. Everything else was just arguing about whether God exists or not.
Don't get me wrong, the NWO works through every avenue of life....finance, manufacturing, education, health care...and so on.
The World Council of Churches seeks....a One World Church....how scary would that be. Would you oppose that? I sure as heck would.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

OK, any kind of sign, you know, the sort of things claimed in the Bible and elsewhere.
All the magic stuff that for some reason never seems to happen since all the various religious books were first written, if I witnessed similar then it would of course influence my opinion.

Regarding being a soulless carcass, that doesn't worry me at all.
I see the wonder and beauty of nature without needing an invisible creator to make it any more amazing to me. I love sharing my knowledge and experiences while raising my son into a caring young man as he is now. I love helping others purely out of kind thoughts from inside myself, I don't need fear of any gods or nasty afterlife to inspire my love for fellow humankind. Why, or how I exist is something I do not know but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of this life I perceive at the moment.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Thankfully the guy pleaded guilty before the court date so I did not have to attend, I still don't know if I would have lied and used the religious oath or not. I wish we didn't have to make the choice and everyone just promised to tell the truth without effectively having to declare faith (or lack of) in open court.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

People have viewed my responses as a fear of atheists, but I am coming only from a point of view of what I have studied as the NWO agenda. After all this is a conspiracy site, and I believe I am the only one to even bring up the secret society Skull and Bones in any of this. Everything else was just arguing about whether God exists or not.
Don't get me wrong, the NWO works through every avenue of life....finance, manufacturing, education, health care...and so on.

That's a fair enough observation, and this is ATS after all.
Personally I reached my own conclusion about deities after studying many different faiths over the years. I am unaware of any external influence being involved.

The World Council of Churches seeks....a One World Church....how scary would that be. Would you oppose that? I sure as heck would.

As long as such a church continued to cherry-pick the nice bits out of their scriptures and gave comfort to the worshippers while carrying out community work and the like, I would probably ignore it as an irrelevance to my life. It would however as always be a 'watch this space' situation and I would certainly keep an eye on updates here on the forums!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It actually sounds like fun.
Get to know your extended area of neighbors. do a little business networking perhaps.
Make friends. Meet your future significant-other. Arts and crafts for the kids.
Maybe a guest speaker every now and then. Field trips or nature walks, or whatever.
I don't see what the problem is.
In my personal case, It's the religion thing that's always kept me out of Church.
I'd go to the "Sunday Meetin' "
I think it's healthy for a community to mingle.

as long as it doesn't turn into some hard-core agenda thing. into some Hard-core anti-religious movement

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

as long as it doesn't turn into some hard-core agenda thing. into some Hard-core anti-religious movement

I agree, and Sanderson, one of the original organisers, posted this on their main website:

We are very open to people of all faiths. We only include the word atheist just to let people know that there’ll be no faith based thinking. During the service there is no aggressive militant atheism or bashing of religions. We’re very firm on that.

It is a position I absolutely agree with

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I am unaware of any external influence being involved.

I was referring to secular humanism in the schools and the purging of the church during the Communist reign in the former Soviet Union, the influence of John Dewey and his views of Statism and the role of the State in the upbringing of children, and that all meshes exactly with Hillary's book, "It Takes A Village". The signs are much easier to see of Marxist takeover than of the existence of God.

Other than that, atheists wanting to hang out with other atheists is certainly a natural affinity.
edit on 13-3-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Ah, understand what you're saying.
We had prayers every morning when I was at school, and religious education is still a compulsory subject today. There are also many part state funded faith schools here in the UK (Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/Anglican Christian), and Church of England bishops have automatic seats in our upper house of parliament with voting influence over legislation.
If there is a conspiracy to attack religion worldwide then whoever is in charge is doing a poor job in the UK.

The only major change I've seen is that my son's religious education is under the subject heading "Philosophy and applied ethics" where they discuss all the major faiths found around the world. They still do Easter celebrations and Christmas nativity plays in the primary schools, unless the local community is predominantly Hindu/Muslim etc where the schools have adapted to the pupils needs.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

this made me laugh so hard.. they are mimicking what they hate but they try calling it and painting it different.

whatever mental gymnastics they have to do i guess.

to each their own.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

I hope to have a few laughs when I get to hook up with my local non-believers, plus listen to a few interesting talks, hear a local band play some tunes, network a little, discuss some community minded initiatives, and generally have an enjoyable hour or so in an environment free from religious dogma

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join