It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing new HD footage of the Russian Meteor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Wow! Sic, thanks..

It's amazing how quickly people get their phone cameras or whatever out, and start filming right away.. driving even.

If I was one of those guys who saw it coming, looking like it was head on... I would've been like - 'this is the end'.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Thanks Op.

Definitely more videos than expected and nicely put together.

Unbelievable stupid comments by some who say nothing new, when this is the most widely captured meteor event in the history of mankind. Was not even possible to capture so many perspectives just a ten years ago.

After viewing the same couple videos over and over by the mainstream media this has been a completely different perspective on the meteor and those who provided the footage.
edit on 3/8/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I'll bet we are going to see more of "something falling" in the near future and yes 1.45 was stunning.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

I know..they acted like just another day...man I would have been freakin...especially if not aware..and those explosions..that must have been incredibly loud..russians know how to keep their cool

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Great video, thank you for posting htis!!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Beautifully amazing! I have never seen this video before so thank you for posting.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have been wondering if this card has now been played...

To bad they can be played at random. Fun game though...right?....RIGHT?

hehe

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What a great compilation.

I'm not sure which is scarier though...the meteor or the inability for this nuclear-nation to properly set the time on their cameras :-)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Here I am reading this thread and waiting for somebody to say something with a little scientific value to it and I go oh, this one is good... and of course its you

Troll la lol lol lol...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Can some "amazing" person please run some of the closer / clearer ones through a filter.

There was talk in an earlier forum of "something" hitting this this prior to impact.

Would be great to see this "supposed" strike if available?

Many thanks in advance

That would be cool but I am afraid not possible. The light captured by these cameras are only in the visible spectrum. It isn't possible to "filter" that. Maybe change the contrast or black or white levels but that would also diminish the whole picture the more you do it. What you see is what you get. Other "anomolies" in the field of view are lens flare and the like.

Any 'impactor' proposed to have struck the asteroid is impossible. It was moving at 15 miles a second when it entered the atmosphere. Even man made objects in earth orbit move at just 5 miles per second. Nothing could have caught up to it to impact on it at those speeds. Except another meteor and what are the odds of that?

If somebody tells me the Aleens did it, they would have done that long before it entered earth atmosphere when it would take a lot less energy to nudge it away from hitting the planet surface. Maybe they did (close call guys).

What impacted the meteor was Earth's atmosphere. At those speeds it is enough to slow and break up the object all by itself... just like we saw.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Dashcam videos are fantastic when listening to the passengers tone of conversation, although; was looking for HD quality. Could not find.

Note: THE MUSIC ACCOMPANYING THIS VIDEO IS ANNOYING - TURN DOWN!!

Saw nothing wrong with the music. Maybe I should get you acquainted with a dear friend of mine, your definition of annoying will be forever re-defined within moments notice.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Other "anomolies" in the field of view are lens flare and the like.

Exactly.

Not to mention, if there really was something else involved, there is so much good/clear footage of this event that we would likely see it the majority of clips.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
That was an incredible video. Everyone just stopped and watched it come down, imagine there was a much larger meteor.
It would be over in no time

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Can some "amazing" person please run some of the closer / clearer ones through a filter.

There was talk in an earlier forum of "something" hitting this this prior to impact.

Would be great to see this "supposed" strike if available?

Many thanks in advance

Not surprised at their being such a conspiracy =) but I doubt it .. it behaves as I would expect a meteor to behave.. hitting the atmosphere at such a high rate of speed causes immense friction which causes immense heat, it starts melting and breaking up very quickly in a ball of fire.. usually only tiny little fragments make it to the ground.. it's the airburst that causes the damage.

These kinds of events happen multiple times per year, just usually over un-populated areas like the ocean
edit on 3/7/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

So if our Planet is 70% water, 30% land.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that for every 7 over the ocean 3 are over land?
I guess it depends actually how many a year happen. 10,20,50, 1000?
But it is for me unusual that we don't have many occurences like this caught on video.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I noticed a small 'flash' of light @ 2:00.
Wondering why no one said anything about it yet...is it of no concern?
Reflection perhaps?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taggart
So if our Planet is 70% water, 30% land.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that for every 7 over the ocean 3 are over land?

Yes. There's a good chance that there have been others this size that have exploded over the ocean in the last 100 years, and were not seen by anyone. Much of the land on our planet is uninhabited (The Antarctic/Arctic)or sparely inhabited too, so even more could be missed easily.

I guess it depends actually how many a year happen. 10,20,50, 1000?

On the scale of the Russian fireball... it'll be more like events per a few decades. Whilst we only see (or hear about) events like this perhaps once every 50-100 years, I would not be surprised if they happen once or twice every 20 years.

But it is for me unusual that we don't have many occurences like this caught on video.

Well if they mostly happen over uninhabited areas, you have answered your own question. There is also the fact that it happened over a country where insurance requires cars to be fitted with dash-cams, and whilst this size of fireball only occurs on a decade time scale, the dash-cam phenomena has only existed for a few years. Good quality digital video recorders and still cameras only really took off about a decade ago, and for many the price has only come down enough for them to afford in the last 5 or so years.

Basically there are many more cameras about now than there have been at any time in our past history, so it's not really surprising that we are staring to catch events like this only now. We are however catching lots of smaller fireballs these days, like this one, this one, and this one that I previously posted here on ATS, and that number is set to increase as more and more cameras are pointed up at the sky in the years to come.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wr4th
I noticed a small 'flash' of light @ 2:00.
Wondering why no one said anything about it yet...is it of no concern?
Reflection perhaps?

Well for starters, not every "flash" in the sky is a fireball. Along with that, "small" flashes aren't really that noticeable - so perhaps no one noticed it.

Also, even if it was a small fireball, small fireballs are relatively common - if you watch the sky long enough, sooner or later you will see one, and in my experience this has been the case for at least the last 15 years (since I became interested in observing the sky for meteors and fireballs).

Although what you saw could have a few potential explanations, it's difficult to say anything without a bit more information, like - @ 2:00 what? AM or PM? Local time? What's your latitude? Was the flash small in terms of size/brightness/both? Was it well defined or "fuzzy" ?Did you observe it through glass? Where abouts in the sky did you see it, assuming you saw it in the sky? Was it very fast or slow/how long did it last?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

I think the poster meant at the two minute mark in the video.

Thanks all for the comments!

Most of you probably know this, but if you are interested in meteors the Live Meteor detection site can be quite a trip to watch, Fireball above has made some good contributions on there as well. Also, it was interesting to note the Meteor Detection live feed was down for about two days when we had the Russian Meteor, along with the Cuban, San Fran Bay, Spanish and other meteors at the same time. Usually it updates about once a minute. Coincidence???

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Keep your eyes on the sky and your smart phones ready!

edit on 8-3-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: addition

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
I think the poster meant at the two minute mark in the video.

Ahh yes - I think you are right. The post makes a bit more sense now!

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
Also, it was interesting to note the Meteor Detection live feed was down for about two days when we had the Russian Meteor, along with the Cuban, San Fran Bay, Spanish and other meteors at the same time. Usually it updates about once a minute. Coincidence???

Yes, probably.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join