It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Were The People Of Göbekli Tepe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

There is a special similarity with the stone carvers of the lost civilization in that the structure of their men the hands would wrap around to the front. This is at Easter Island as well as Gobekli Tepe but there are no heads at Gobekli Tepe. So they looked like this picture and also the Easter Island beings with large ears.

edit on 8-10-2013 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

greyer
reply to post by Spider879

There is a special similarity with the stone carvers of the lost civilization in that the structure of their men the hands would wrap around to the front. This is at Easter Island as well as Gobekli Tepe but there are no heads at Gobekli Tepe. So they looked like this picture and also the Easter Island beings with large ears.

edit on 8-10-2013 by greyer because: (no reason given)

...or a similiar solution to a difficult problem - how to make realistic arms and hands when your tools, craftsmanship and skills are at that time - limited - solution minimize the effort.

You will find that nearly every culture developed the stone knife, chopper, awl and spear - did that all come from a 'lost civilization' or did they develop those tools in response to a common human need?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Don't know man you think too much, like many many others.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

greyer

Don't know man you think too much, like many many others.

Should we - believe more or think less?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Thats really the thing...over millenia, it HAD to crop up everywhere at some point.

Basic shapes you can make that have shown to inflict damage.

And how many geniuses would have come and gone over that time who developed a breakthrough that pushed forward? Sure, it was 3 steps forward, 2 steps back....but we are talking millenia here....thousands upon thousands of years of intelligent creatures learning from each other.

There is nothing to make one believe that various weaponry would relate to a single source for all wisdom.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Lets ask the right questions about it please.
1) How was it done. Ignore the time frame in he past.
2) How long would it take to make to this size?
3) The amount of effort needed to cover it up by hand is very large. Why? Who could have commanded such an effort?
3A) If they covered it up to conceal from an enemy coming in and wished to save it from desecration by them. that answer doesn't wash. If you had that time an enemy could not be that pressing
3B) Could they have covered it up because they stopped worshiping the same old way? But they covered it up without apparently just destroying it. Destroying would be easier unless the "new" masters of the site wanted to stop a connection with their past.... Hmmm that feels more possible. Doesn't touch the whys of doing it.
3C) Perhaps the group that covered it up had nothing to do with it's creation? Or the descendents of the builders lost how or why it was done. It was now threatening the them so they erased it
3D) So far (from what I understand) there is no type of writing found at the site. It's hard to lay out a plan without some form of writing. Even if writing was found we have no yardstick to read it with nor a Rosetta stone help us understand it. There can be nothing there to explain it to us.
3E) What if they just built each section for say 100 years and then covered up the old and made the new section. That would be easier to understand how it was covered up at the end.
All B.S. on my part not driven by any hard facts.

edit on 8-10-2013 by datasdream because: Missed the not in the last line UGH!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Absolutely how many times did the bow and arrow get invented and then lost, or a method of fire hardening stone tools, etc. What fuelled the European 'intellectual' expansion was the ability to read the research of other long past (in many cases preserved by and translated into Arabic), with books knowledge was much harder to loose and transmit.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

datasdream

Lets ask the right questions about it please.
1) How was it done. Ignore the time frame in he past.
2) How long would it take to make to this size?
3) The amount of effort needed to cover it up by hand is very large. Why? Who could have commanded such an effort?

Speculation mode on

I suspect it was an annual event or driven by some omen or incident, the people would meet, and as they were semi-nomadic I think they created a new temple every few 'periods of time' and when they had used that facility they then buried it, like the Romans did with the Ludi Saeculares ritual.

It will probably take 15-20 years to complete and analyze the site and even then all we will get is the bare bones of what they were doing there as they had no writing.

3A) If they covered it up to conceal from an enemy coming in and wished to save it from desecration by them. that answer doesn't wash. If you had that time an enemy could not be that pressing
3B) Could they have covered it up because they stopped worshiping the same old way? But they covered it up without apparently just destroying it. Destroying would be easier unless the "new" masters of the site wanted to stop a connection with their past.... Hmmm that feels more possible. Doesn't touch the whys of doing it.

One way to protect it and perhaps digging it out would be considered meritorious

3C) Perhaps the group that covered it up had nothing to do with it's creation? Or the descendents of the builders lost how or why it was done. It was now threatening the them so they erased it
3D) So far (from what I understand) there is no type of writing found at the site. It's hard to lay out a plan without some form of writing. Even if writing was found we have no yardstick to read it with nor a Rosetta stone help us understand it. There can be nothing there to explain it to us.
3E) What if they just built each section for say 100 years and then covered up the old and made the new section. That would be easier to understand how it was covered up at the end.
All B.S. on my part not driven by any hard facts.

Good speculation on your part and we both had the same idea of it being covered up for periods of time and then uncovered. Perhaps after an eclipse? Sighting of meteor shower, birth of twins, birth of an albino or two headed child, who knows!

A whole lot of Ph.D's will probably be written on these themes.

Speculation mode off
edit on 9/10/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This site is interesting because of the covering up and uncovering which seems so unusual and makes one wonder whether it was done to protect the site or hide it.

When one goes back in history and looks at the areas controlled by someone like a Pharoah or ruler of some other empire I think it must be very difficult to decide who lived where because hyperthetically the ruler could have simply ordered a group of his subjects to go live in such an area and build what he wanted and then move on elsewhere. When one reads of the orders various Pharoah's gave their overseerers there was a lot of movement of people, trade, etc. It seems that many have the opinion that ancient empires barely moved but they were live conquering and building forces peopled by various conquered races with different talents, not to mention the treaties made through marriages, so life could easily have consisted of a rainbow group.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Interesting stuff here Spider, it does make some sense though nothing is conclusive at this stage.

Discoveries/ theories like these are what keeps these mysterious places from mentioned in the first place. My guess is that people know more than they are willing or allowed to share with the rest of us.

Turkey is a country with more than enough money to properly excavate the site and the country is known for making a good buck off its historical places.. I've had the pleasure of visiting afew of them.

GT would be a gold mine, they are just not in a hurry to "open it" for some reason.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Eniii
Interesting stuff here Spider, it does make some sense though nothing is conclusive at this stage.

Discoveries/ theories like these are what keeps these mysterious places from mentioned in the first place. My guess is that people know more than they are willing or allowed to share with the rest of us.

Turkey is a country with more than enough money to properly excavate the site and the country is known for making a good buck off its historical places.. I've had the pleasure of visiting afew of them.

GT would be a gold mine, they are just not in a hurry to "open it" for some reason.

Because a scientific study of this size of site will take 10-15+ years and its best to keep the scientific research staff to a reasonable size. It takes more time but better science comes out of it. There is also a tradition that the person and the organization that finds the site, 'controls' it until the science investigation is complete.

The DAI did extended work at Baalbek that lasted over a century (with breaks for world wars)
There are places in Egypt that have been underexcavation for one-hundred and fifty or more years.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Hanslune

Eniii

Because a scientific study of this size of site will take 10-15+ years and its best to keep the scientific research staff to a reasonable size. It takes more time but better science comes out of it. There is also a tradition that the person and the organization that finds the site, 'controls' it until the science investigation is complete.

The DAI did extended work at Baalbek that lasted over a century (with breaks for world wars)
There are places in Egypt that have been underexcavation for one-hundred and fifty or more years.

Oh to be sure this is decades long commitment and even more to figure out why they did what they did.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I've been fascinated by this find... I don't know who they were, but if they intentionally built then buried this site... It was pretty dammed important to them... I can't wait until they complete excavation and come up with a GOOD theory..

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

HooHaa
I've been fascinated by this find... I don't know who they were, but if they intentionally built then buried this site... It was pretty dammed important to them... I can't wait until they complete excavation and come up with a GOOD theory..

They may never be able to. We only understand Sumer and AE, etc because they wrote things down, civilizations and cultures that don't have writing we can read remain hard to decypher.

At best all we can get is a bare bone understanding of their culture no more, if that.

In the case of GT we need to find a habitation site to get a clearer picture - we need to find these people not just the site they made. I suspect there will or already has been a large effort to conduct surveys of the land around them looking for such sites - they are the key.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I actually used my knowledge of Goebekli Tepe to woo a Turkish Princess into bed....who says knowing history is useless?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

Ha Ha - careful you don't get stoned for that priviledge

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

More speculation.
The best non-destructive reason to cover it up would be a new one was erected. Some where nearby I would expect to find the remains of a new version. That one is either still buried or perhaps destroyed by time and could expand the tale into new areas.
Rather than pure speculation it gives a valid (our style) reason for the coverup.
The fact that only bones were found next the hearths might indicate that eating grain in this holey area might have been forbidden.
If there was benchs made there it might mean this place was used for teaching. Since all knowledge would have been lost without a verbal passdown this might have the place for teaching. Once that style of training was no longer needed... Well I'm still thinking about that part.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join