It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent methane leaks, sinkholes show more evidence Dangerous Gas Theory may be correct!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Gee Whiz,
What a Buzz Kill.

Someone steal your Teddy Bear or What?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Yeah, well.
There are buzzes and then there are buzzes. This is more of a "meh".

edit on 3/7/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

But I have to say for sure that the culprit is Methane, and hydrogen sulfide.

Sure. No other possible causes. Like navy sonar. Like algal blooms.

Sinkholes over the ocean?
But yeah, meteors happen over the ocean sometimes so maybe so.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Lets just hope the "massive" solar flare being predicted doesn't ignite the fumes!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Fair Enough.

2nd Line.

Meh

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Thank you Rez for all of your hard work. As to some of the negative comments here, There is no single cause for any of these events. But when taken in the aggregate there is no doubt that there is a serious problem developing worldwide.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the relatively old news about the tundra melting in the Russian Steppes and releasing massive amounts of methane. I saw a report on that at least two years ago in relation to the global warming debate.

We have man made disasters like the Bayou Corne sinkhole in Assumption Parish, Louisiana. It has been established that the cause was drilling for another salt cavern too close to the edge of the salt dome. There was a recent news item that showed that the salt dome had an overhang so that the drilling crew had a false reading on how close to the edge they really were at greater depths. Then Texas Brine, or one of the state agencies (I am not sure which), drilled a test bore near the cavern on the outer edge of the dome and that is what is thought by the majority of officials and engineers to be what triggered the collapse in the already weakened wall of the cavern.

The Lake Peigneur sinkhole was also am totally man made disaster caused by faulty triangulation for a well location that ended up being right over one of the levels of an underground salt mine. When the drill broke through the roof of the salt mine it triggered a drainage of the entire lake into the salt mine.

Another man made disaster is the Deepwater Horizon Macondo well blowout, courtesy of greedy corporate bean counters at B P who ignored geologists warnings that the site was too close to a salt dome. When the casing of the well blew it blew right into the salt dome they were warned about. If you do a Google search on the Macondo well blowout you will find graphics that show that the blowout into the salt dome is at a depth that makes it nearly impossible to completely seal it no matter what B P Executives say.

Now there is data showing that it is very likely that the oil and methane showing up in Bayou Corne and Lake Peigneur is actually infiltrating through the rock and salt strata of the gulf coast from the B P well blowout site.

Many more of the sinkholes and other underground disasters are also man made.

But not all of them are caused by human ignorance. I believe, as do some others, that tectonic activity releasing methane and hydrogen sulfide from the coastal ocean floor is one of the major causes for most, if not all, of the mass animal die-offs. And this could also be happening on land in natural fault zones and is being exacerbated in areas where hydrofracking is going on.

As with most things in life, there is no black and white to this issue but rather a million shades of grey. trying to roll it all up into a single ball and nay-saying it serves no purpose at all. There are just too many different causes for the things that are happening to address them with a single negative comment.

ETA - Some scientists believe that one of the extinction events was triggered by a massive release of methane from the worlds oceans. There is still some disagreement as to the cause for the release. But one cause that is possible is that a small meteor hit the ocean and penetrated to the floor with enough energy to stir up the methane hydrate and cause it to bubble up like a pop can that has been shaken too hard just before it was opened. The other suspected cause is a rapid warming of the oceans that triggered a chain reaction release of the methane. Methane hydrate can only exist in nature at great pressures and extremely low temperatures. If the methane is near to a "tipping point" it would take only a small but rapid change in either the pressure or the temperature or both to trigger a massive chain reaction release. We can only hope and pray that that is not the situation now.
edit on 7-3-2013 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Thanks for the info happy, great post. It seems whether man made or natural, methane is somehow involved in all of it. Even in the man made sinkholes, large amounts of methane are releasing contributing to this theory...trapping more heat causing the chain reaction.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This is an interesting thread here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Stratospheric warming over the North Pole pushed cold air down over US and Europe. It wasn't until about the middle of January that winter got started here in Wisconsin. This thread talks about an article that says a push of warm air from Siberia occurred on January 7 and then about 10 days later the cold air swooped down. They call it a rare event.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
We are seeing a lot of evidence of rapid global climate change, and the rate of this change is accelerating.

It makes sense that climate change is manifesting itself in multitude of ways.

There isn't much news coming out of the Arctic these days, and that is the area to watch, IMO.

I don't know about running around in circles yelling, I recommend popping a cork, sitting back, and watching the fire works, as that may be all we can do at this point.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JrDavis

But I have to say for sure that the culprit is Methane, and hydrogen sulfide.

Sure. No other possible causes. Like navy sonar. Like algal blooms.

Sinkholes over the ocean?
But yeah, meteors happen over the ocean sometimes so maybe so.

Your ego has really become annoying. Dont you recall how this works? You refute the OP with factual evidence. Making snide condescending post after post just makes you sound idiotic. If you have information that the OP can use to reformulate his ideas... why not share it? Oh.. thats right, you dont like sharing information.. you only make proclamations and we are all to swallow what you spew because you are Phage. Unlike your sycophants here, some of us still demand you put your facts where your mouth is.

OP, you have a point with some of your ideas, but others are unrelated. The animal die offs can be due to many things, all occurring at once... and some not natural. I recall then the big methane issue happened in Africa yrs ago ( 37 people near Lake Monoun died) and check out Lake Kivu... massive methane stores and called the exploding lake.. can wipe out millions of lives, but so has volcanic gas, pretty much in the same way. Tech is effecting animals and insects as well. On the gulf, we had huge die offs every year as a natural occurrence. There are some odd ones though, and we cant lump them in with natural causes. The blue stains on the doves beaks that fell out of the sky is still a mystery, but thought to be a symptom of suffocation from a poison or pathogen. The 40,000 dead crabs washing ashore near Kent, England.. unknown causes. What we are having also are MUCH more animal diseases rearing their heads.. viruses and parasites. ( EX 4,300 ducks killed by parasites in Minnesota, 1,500 salamanders killed by a virus in Idaho, 2,000 bats that died of rabies in Texas). We are having several thing in play at once. Sorting through all of the animal, human, and insect deaths will prove to be an exhausting task, and many mass die offs are still a mystery as to the cause. Nice theories, but no absolute fact as to why. One of the biologists here on ATS also mentioned the immunity of many animals being lowered through indutrial waste and now incidents like Fukushima... etc. In my county we have seen a huge upsurge in birdpox and lost ALL of our bats in a colony disease. With many of these die offs, its a symptom os the domino effect.
Not throw be negative about your theory, but giving you more information to base it on. You can sort through the incidents of animal and human die offs... which there are human die offs... and see the causes. Some ARE confirmed as methane, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

In the days leading up to this sinkhole there were hundreds of tremors a day and then it was all quiet for one day, and suddenly there was a sinkhole.

I think it was the earth crust movement that caused those tremors that caused the fracture or collapse of the salt cavern that caused the sinkhole.
I believe that’s what is causing all the sinkholes happening all over the world. ...

OK... but what is causing the Earth Crust Movement to make earthquakes happen ?

i would suggest that unusual magma currents are creating new 'hot spot' locations right where the continental crust and the magma levels meet...

the new hot spots are deep and presently undetectable... and are causing new pockets of trapped gasses to migrate to new strata, both upward and outward from the old pockets ...
this results in new stresses as the earth beneath our feet is in motion and pockets of gasses and other cavities & voids get backfilled as all gasses and voids rise toward the surface (both in the continental plates and the thinner ocean plates of the Earths' crustal plate.

the geologists might have a better model that explains the dangerous gasses & sinkholes... but i think it all begins with the hotter Earth core and the mantle plumes that result that is causing the present distortions of the crust...releasing ancient pockets of noxious gasses & bringing sinkholes to the surface

i will now go on to read the rest of the interesting thread,... thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Last time I checked Florida wasn't near a plate boundary.
Don't know about any serious fault lines there either.

How many people died from the gas release from the Florida sinkholes? Animals?
edit on 3/6/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I think people are trying to suggest, or direct the thoughts to another permian-triassic event maybe? ocean anoxia etc etc climate change.

Its been a while since I studied it but it seems like its an event like that this thread is suggesting it could be "incoming".

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

We are having several thing in play at once.

Yes, I know. That was my point. To blame a bunch of unrelated occurrences of unknown origin on a single cause is absurd.

Some ARE confirmed as methane, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide.
Some. But many are not. Interesting how a single species can be affected while others in the same area are not.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Instead of always sitting in Godlike judgement Phage
Perhaps you could help instead of bitch at every OP that has the germ of an idea.....its getting lame.
The OP has some good thinking behind this, its a big world and some of the data is perhaps extraneous,
But the idea has merrit.
I for one have been awaiting this supposed Methane invasion for years....
The topic is not new, but it is getting more timely.
The effects of such an occurrance could be wide spread but hard to determine at first as to cause....
The Idea of warmer earth core is perhaps a good start.....
The cause of this could be cosmic rays of particles which could zip through the earth and activate the core within.
I am no sage, but i have heard that we are entering such a cosmic particle cloud.,...
and surmise it could effect inner earths tremp.
Or not...
Great thread other than the attempt at thread kill ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There was a recent die-off, i.e. one million herrings on the coast of Iceland.
This indicates to me that the Icelandic people fart a lot - it could be their diet. Methane is present in human farts and of course the world population is bulging with badness, i.e. foul odours. I haven been to Florida, but I'd guess it's a pretty smelly State. Equally, persons living on the coasts of the Gulf also seem fart-prone- that could be the crabs - and from what I read, it's pretty smelly there too. The Arizona one is a bit of a puzzler, but more and more old people are retiring there.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Plate movement is likely part of it in some circumstances but as I posted in the previous thread, this is what I think is the primary driver:

Ocean Acidification

Ocean acidification is the name given to the ongoing decrease in the pH of the Earth's oceans, caused by the uptake of anthropogenic carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.[1] About 30–40% of the carbon dioxide released by humans into the atmosphere dissolves into the oceans, rivers and lakes.[2][3] To maintain chemical equilibrium, some of it reacts with the water to form carbonic acid. Some of these extra carbonic acid molecules react with a water molecule to give a bicarbonate ion and a hydronium ion, thus increasing the ocean's "acidity" (H+ ion concentration). Between 1751 and 1994 surface ocean pH is estimated to have decreased from approximately 8.25 to 8.14,[4] representing an increase of almost 30% in H+ ion concentration in the world's oceans.[5][6]

You see that where it says the pH has decreased to 8.14? Well that number is from 2005!!! What does it look like now? How about 7.7? Because that's the average around an island off the coast of Oregon as of 2011 as shown by the findings of scientists who have been monitoring it. Found here. If you don't feel like reading a scientific article, just check the graphs. The pH levels weren't expected to drop below 8 due to ocean acidification until 2100 according to the IPCC reports from 2007. Well, um, WRONG! The ocean is no longer a carbon sink, that's a huge problem. Here is an article discussing the findings of the study:

The List of Explanations for Ocean Acidification Keeps Getting Smaller

And here's more: Clathrate Gun Trigger Squeeze

And more: From the Clathrate Gun Hypothesis

Focusing on the Permian-Triassic boundary, Gregory Ryskin [1] explores the possibility that mass extinction can be caused by an extremely fast, explosive release of dissolved methane (and other dissolved gases such as carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide) that accumulated in the oceanic water masses prone to stagnation and anoxia (e.g., in silled basins).

I think the effects of your theory are pretty sound but the cause is more related to this (evidenced by dropping pH levels showing ocean acidification) than to tectonic movements.

So there's my thinking, thanks for listening. And thanks for putting so much thought and work into presenting your theory. I have great respect for curious minds.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vexatious Vex

A note about the article about the Washington coast.

These tests of multiple potential drivers of the observed rapid rate of pH decline indicate a primary role for inorganic carbon and suggest that geochemical models of coastal ocean carbon fluxes need increased investigation.

www.plosone.org...:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0053396

Methane is an organic carbon compound.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

A note about the article about the Washington coast.

These tests of multiple potential drivers of the observed rapid rate of pH decline indicate a primary role for inorganic carbon and suggest that geochemical models of coastal ocean carbon fluxes need increased investigation.

www.plosone.org...:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0053396

Methane is an organic carbon compound.

From the wiki: Total Inorganic Carbon

The total inorganic carbon (CT, or TIC) or dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) is the sum of inorganic carbon species in a solution. The inorganic carbon species include carbon dioxide, carbonic acid, bicarbonate anion, and carbonate.[1] It is customary to express carbon dioxide and carbonic acid simultaneously as CO2* . CT is an key parameter when making measurements related to the pH of natural aqueous systems,[2] and carbon dioxide flux estimates.

So your point is what exactly? Not to be overly rude but I'm thinking maybe you should move along to another thread. You aren't adding any value here. Just sayin'...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Listen, we all know from geography, or some other classes, that tectonic moves created, for an example, Alpes and Himalay, during the geological history of The Earth.
Taking this as a fact, it is very logical to expect new tectonic moves, sooner or farther in future.
The emission of methane, and sulphur, and similar toxic gases, may be in close connection with it.
Everyone should be always prepared for accidental situations, that is the fact.
And governments and civil deffence units, too.
It is better citisens to be regularly informed about, from the services.
That can be caused by closely passing celestial body, too.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So your point is what exactly? Not to be overly rude but I'm thinking maybe you should move along to another thread.

My point is that the acidification off the Washington coast does not seem to be related to methane release.

And I will post in any thread I wish, thank you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join