It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recomend me a Good Hunting Bow

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

are you selling this and if so How much.....I can work out the postage to the UK

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

I reckon it would cost a fortune for freight...you would be better shopping locally? I will ask my Son how much he wants to sell it for just for you to compare.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
Thank for the replies guys...some useful info here....question on Draw length...how would i know this...i dont really have a place where i could go and try one out here in Scotland....and what is Draw Length BTW

draw length

www.huntersfriend.com...

and

www.huntersfriend.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

Thanks for that....i'll be around 28" @ 60lb...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

I'll grab something from ebay...lots on offer...thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
reply to post by dusty1

Thanks for that....i'll be around 28" @ 60lb...

his is 77.5" and 40-50lb but second hand you should not pay over 500 (with case)

cheers

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

If you buy a used compound bow, find one that has been re-strung recently.

Strings go bad after a few years, which could be a pain if you don't have someone in your area to work on your bow.

Archery Talk

Good info on that site.
edit on 13-3-2013 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for that, but i'm in the UK...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

Thanks for the Advice.....i'll check out that link...the more the merrier..

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
To be honest with you i'm edging more towards a Recurve Bow, it's less hassle and less expensive to maintain than a compound bow...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Sorry, missed that... Really though, just gives you an idea of what you can find...and for what prices.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
was looking at this..

www.ebay.co.uk...:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

and this, but then noticed Browning are out the game so getting parts is impossible and for the price he's asking i think he's taking the pee pee..

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
then there is this....dont know how much i'll be stung by customs though....they charge like the Light Brigade over here...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I shoot a long bow, a very enjoyable experience, but in a 'survival situation' I would prefer to have one of these handy.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What the hell is that thing????

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

What the hell is that thing????

what one...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

This one: www.abovetopsecret.com...

From my limited experience(I've never actually hunted with a bow) draw weight would be your primary concern regarding taking down whatever it is you envisage taking down. The heavier the draw the bigger the game.

There are lots of variables regarding things like what type of arrows(wooden, carbon fiber etc) you would use, or whether you would prefer to shoot instinctively or use aiming devices. Knowing exactly what you want to use the bow for would be recommended. A compound bow has more parts and therefore more chances of something failing over time, whereas a more traditional bow is harder to hold at full draw and actually looses power slightly the longer you hold it so.

To be honest what I would recommend, if you are new to archery that is, is to buy a decent, but cheap, ordinary bow(not compound) and see how it feels to shoot, learn about arrow spine size, the 'archers paradox', how heavy a draw weight you can handle(or plan on being able to handle), what style of aiming suits you, basically the basics of archery. It is a rewarding pastime.

Spending your money on a crazy looking 'deerkiller' is a waste of time and funds in my opinion, archery is an art and it takes time to develop your preferences and skills.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

I never posted that hideous monstrosity...

Thanks for the bow tips though....that's what i'm looking for...in this past week i've learned so much...probably around 10% of what i need to learn before i purchase a bow...but i'm learning...Fast...thanks for the input guys...more is welcomed...

Ps..I've kinda worked out my Draw length and poundage etc....I work in heavy engineering so i'm kinda big around the shoulders and have a good wingspan..
i'll be hazzarding a guess at 28/29" @ around 55/60lbs though i could probably go further on the poundage if i wished....it's up to the bow i buy i suppose, if it's a 50/60 limb then that's what i'll be pulling or there abouts

edit on 14-3-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

any objections... www.ebay.co.uk...:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

edit on 14-3-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Some shameless self promotion here
check out my thread on the subtleties of shooting a bow(or slingshot) instinctively:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Happy shooting and best of luck

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join