It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks to Go With Their 1.6 Billion Bullet Stockpile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think the lines are blurring between DHS and the military.

From January 2012

US Marine Corps System Command (USMC) has awarded an $880m delivery contract to Navistar Defense for the upgrade of its fleet of 2,717 International MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles.

The delivery order also includes the provision of engineering changes, supplies and services. Under the contract, the company will retrofit the vehicles with the new rolling chassis solution in addition to DXM independent suspension, a MaxxForce 9.3 engine, a 570-amp alternator and a driveline to further enhance the vehicle's off-road capability.

Navistar Defense president Archie Massicotte said: "Our rolling chassis solution allows us to leverage our unique vehicle design and replace an older chassis with a new, highly mobile independent suspension chassis. During all this we keep the armoured capsule intact while creating commonality through the entire MaxxPro fleet."

MaxxPro, a mine-resistant ambush protected (MRAP) armoured fighting vehicle, has been designed to withstand improvised explosive device (IED) attacks, ambushes, ballistic arms fire and mine blasts as well as survive in nuclear, biological and chemical environments.

Work on the contract will be carried out at Navistar's West Point assembly facility in Mississippi, US, with immediate effect and is scheduled to be completed in October 2013. Around 9,000 MaxxPro vehicles have been fielded by the company to date and it expects to add important vehicle capabilities and enhancements for its entire fleet of 32,000 vehicles.

www.naval-technology.com...

Another thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I understand what you are saying..and I have never understood the way 'washington' does things..I mean to me it seems like it would be like this--2 years ago, I saw a pair of Burberry boots that cost 500$..I set aside money each payday to pay for the boots..now this month I find out Im losing my house because I failed to make a payment..lets say the payment is 500$..but since I already 'allocated' the funds for the boots I better buy them..and hope I don't lose my house in the end..It just doesn't make sense to me...Maybe it's more complicated than that but I always feel like this is the way I see all of those 'budgets' washington puts out.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

And they think their puny little cars are going to be enough to get our guns? The American spirit is more powerful than they realize.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Same number for the Army 2717

LISLE, Ill. -- Navistar Defense, LLC received an award to conduct the installation work associated with its January order to upgrade 2,717 International® MaxxPro® Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles with a new vehicle chassis. The $21 million contract from the U.S. Army Contracting Command is just one of Navistar's many reset offerings aimed at revitalizing existing defense assets for future missions.

www.army-guide.com...

Who's on first?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by inverslyproportional

It is more so for the earth buried mine/explosive. The Vehicle has a V shaped undercarriage, and will dissipate the energy traveling upwards towards the vehicle.

The cage on the sides is there to dissipate the energy from side blasts and break up rounds as well.

But, simple way to take out the armored turtle? Turn it on its belly. A conventional Semi-Truck will have enough force, from a side impact, to turn the vehicle over.

The cage isnt to disapate the explosive energy, it is to cause standoff against rpg rounds. Rpgs use a shaped charge that when pd ( point detonated, as in expolding on contact) shhots a molten jet of copper that burns through any known material, but when detonated away from the vehichke the explosion wont be abke to force it through, it will simply splash on the side.

Abrahms dont have these because they have reactive armor, that explodes the plates out and away taking the molten copper with it, this is what is meant by reactive armor. It reacts to protect the vehichle.

I was trained on the weaknesses of these armors, as defeating them was my job, light armor is nothing, thats why they need V shaped undercarriages and safety cages, the armor isnt strong enough for most modern threats, so they had to augment it to make it useful, it is by no means havy reactive armors equivalent.

The semi idea is spot on, as well as using existing infrastructure against it, for example, almost all city streets in America are covering a giant hollow honey comb, you drop the tunnels, you drop the vehichle, as their shear weight is more tan enough once the support beams and walls are weakened.

I see this as nothing but intimidation, as many already know the weaknesses, and could defeat it if itnbecame necessary.

Just another wasted cargo ship full of money really.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, I can honestly say this doesn't surprise me in the least. How unfortunate is it to have become numb, for lack of a better word, to the governments actions against it's own citizens. The alphabet agencies (DHS, CIA, FBI, etc) are spending tax payer money as if they've won the lottery, yet the citizens suffer. Not only that, but they are spending our tax money on # that they will use against us.

This is similar to me demanding money I didn't earn or deserve from somebody, then buying a knife and stabbing them in the back..... and this is okay?! "America, Land of the free, free to the power of the people in uniform." Hmmm, light armored tanks used to maybe, i don't know, round up the cattle and herd them into the FEMA Farms.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Anyone out there still silly enough to believe the government there is not oppressive ?

all the evidence is right there in front of your eyes that its set up and getting ready to move against you ... if you havent already its time to bug out ... the #s about to hit the fan over there and its going to get very ugly ...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Says there is only one way in and one way out of the cab. Disable the truck with a round to the moter and jam the back door some how.

one way in and out. thats dumb

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
My buddy told me yesterday he seen shipments on the road of armored tanks for two days in a row now in california. He said he has never seen that before and he is on the road 12 hours a day.

Sounds like the Civilian army Obama wanted.
edit on 4-3-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Please tell your freind to record them.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

a little bit about the door

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
My buddy told me yesterday he seen shipments on the road of armored tanks for two days in a row now in california. He said he has never seen that before and he is on the road 12 hours a day.

Sounds like the Civilian army Obama wanted.
edit on 4-3-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Did your friend happen to mention where abouts he saw these shipments? I live in Southern California and I'm constantly on the freeways and haven't seen any shipments of light armored tanks. I've seen military shipments before, but even that was a while ago.

Anyways, there is a lot of shady activity going on by good ole Uncle Sam. It makes you wonder what situation is going to happen that would possibly cause major civil unrest, riots, revolution. Obviously O-Bummer is afraid of something. Could it be the Zimmerman case? Gun control? Total Economic Collapse? Only time will tell.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I knew that about the RPGs, just didn't recall it at the time.

From my understanding, it is used to break up small arms rounds as well.

There are several ways to defeat vehicles of this nature. I am sure it will be discussed here shortly.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It is air assisted, but if the vehicle is sitting on top of the door, it will not open.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I think that there are two doors each with a backup system...

Here is the 360 view of the MRAP
www.navistardefense.com...
edit on 4-3-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mikell

Detroit will make a good testing ground for a war on "We the People".

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
you guys seem to forget that these will most likely be operational in convoys with mobile infantry in positions around them

the tactic I see working the best would be to draw the vehicles into dugout land which they just fall into with no escape

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Retrofitted 2,717 of these ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.
People won’t worry until they are running from their house as its burned down.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You may not be able to take out the US Military in the wide world cause they got everything needed to defeat an enemy no matter how long it takes. What they don't have is the will to kill another American in American streets. That's why they could never win out against a United American front. The boys and girls sitting in those things have to believe that if they miss who they're aiming at they may hit MOM and POP.
I know that the most dangerous thing in the World is an 18 yr old given a gun and permission to kill. But to kill who?........ An Enemy not a neighbor or relative.
Eventually some will shoot, but thenthey take the chance of being shot by one of their own if they know the person did nothing wrong. Afterall their not from another country.
They may of had a nut job in the ranks at Ken State who did shoot American Kids. So remember that Fear rules the day and most are cowards in the face of a gun. And the Military is well brainwashed to possibly shoot Americans.
May I remind you that we did fight each other over State Rights and 600,000 died here in America the land that claims God is over them.
This time in a revolt of these times there are to many unknowns and ex-military to think about.
As for me, if someone comes to the door for me I will go with my finger on the trigger of a gun. How bout you'll?
Equipment means nothing only committment to a cause means anything anyway.
Just look at Syria, that's what commitment means.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
(posted this at the other thread too)

In the Birmingham civil rights movement of 1963, Bull Connor used to ride around in a small white tank that the city owner. He used it to intimidate the movement activists, but they just looked at him like he was crazy.

These tanks, very weird, especially with the armoring against explosions from the ground. What do they expect, one of The Avengers to go berserk and start destroying American cities?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Looks like OB is Getting ready for his third term

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join