It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People, Hell & Angels.. Jimi Hendrix releases new album from the dead

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

the "new" version was from Jimi's first ever recording session with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles, with whom he would later record the Band Of Gypsys album

there is always that "first time you hear a song surprise" wowness that gets you excited to hear something new but yea.... still very awesome

That's how I felt when I heard this version from 2010. Great sound Quality. ...

Its the real stand-out track on Valleys Of Neptune as far as his Guitar/voice interaction goes.
From 2 mins 25 secs he starts singing with his guitar solo, then taking with his guitar...
Still one of my all time Jimi favourites.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
reply to post by jude11

But...I leave it open to my being wrong of course.

Of course you're wrong. This is seriously misplaced scepticism.

Eddie and the Cruisers 1&2? Please!

That's a cheap Springsteen / E-street rip off attempt with extra "Mystery" nonsense.

There are worlds of differences betweem Bo-Diddly and Jimi Hendrix.

This is actually a great collection of Jimi's collaborations with other musicians over the years of his fame.

He doesn't sing on every track, but his guitar wizzardry cannot be missed.

Take the song "hear my train a coming", where he does sing:

This is the same song from the last compilation in 2010 with the Experience:

This is the same song live in 1969:

...and if you're still not sure its Jimi, here's himself with an auld 12 string acoustic guitar playing the same song, just for you...

It may be a money making scheme for Jimi's Brother, but these are also good quality Hendrix recordings that have been excellently remastered. Not all "typical" Jimi, but definitley Jimi.

Album Description, song by song.

Peace

I see in the last vid that he's playing left handed. All Jimi.

But I also see that the strings are NOT reversed? A Jimi style.

What's up with that?

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I heard this story on the news this morning and I couldn't quite decide how to feel. While I am a huge Hendrix fan and certainly happy to hear something "new", some of the points others have made here bear out my nonplus.

Yes, these are recordings that Jimi made, they are also re-mastered and edited with modern musical engineering. Techically with today's technology one could produce a Hendrix song without any actual input from the man himself other than a vocal sample. I am afraid that much of this new album is done that way. While Jimi's voice and guitar are evident, unless we were in the studio we cannot know how much is real.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

That particular song sucks. No good guitar or vocals. Sounds like it was just thrown together. I hope the rest of the songs sound much, much, better.

I will stick to listening to the material released while he was alive.
edit on 3-5-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for more words.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Hey um, I don't have anything to add to the conversation but....this doesn't sound like Jimi Hendrix at all. The voice on this track does not sound like Jimi and what's with all of the trumpets/cornetts/sax sounds?

I'll dig some more and get back to ya.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Thanks for the tracks! I had heard the news and was looking forward to hearing the single with Stephen Stills. Jimi was amazing and I don't think anyone has yet matched his energy and intensity. He rode a wave of chaotic feedback only created by pushing his equipment to the limit. He used the instrument in a way that had not been done before.

On a side note I read once that "psychic vampire's" were the main cause of his downfall. Basically, negative people that hung around him and pulled him down.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OperationIraqiFailure
reply to post by goou111

Hey um, I don't have anything to add to the conversation but....this doesn't sound like Jimi Hendrix at all. The voice on this track does not sound like Jimi and what's with all of the trumpets/cornetts/sax sounds?

I'll dig some more and get back to ya.

That first track was not him singing.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
reply to post by ImaFungi

the "new" version was from Jimi's first ever recording session with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles, with whom he would later record the Band Of Gypsys album

there is always that "first time you hear a song surprise" wowness that gets you excited to hear something new but yea.... still very awesome

That's how I felt when I heard this version from 2010. Great sound Quality. ...

Its the real stand-out track on Valleys Of Neptune as far as his Guitar/voice interaction goes.
From 2 mins 25 secs he starts singing with his guitar solo, then taking with his guitar...
Still one of my all time Jimi favourites.

Nice that was very awesome...

youtube told me this was jimi's best solo... and after listening to it a couple of 50 times I slightly agree, its definitely up there. (p.s. the video overlapped is no the footage of him playing the audio, it was just overlayed, but im pretty sure this is also played with billy cox and buddy miles)

This, however is probably my favorite jimi hendrix recording, pure instrumental, pure solo, pure epicness,power, finesse,emotion,grace,licks,rhythm,shredding.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I guess the bottom of the Hendrix barrel was finally reached. Kind of a shame that substandard versions of some of his classic tracks need to be release so somebody (the Hendrix estate?) can make money.

Just as example, check out the Villanova Junction Blues Woodstock version (hiss and all) :

Hands down the superior version

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

But I also see that the strings are NOT reversed? A Jimi style.

I play left handed,the strings are correct,trying to figure out what you mean.

Peace,
K

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Kind of remind's me Dave Chappelle's Tupac sketch.

Video

Whahahahahaha I remember watching that sketch a while back, Chappelle is a comical genius.
Totally agree. So ironic that a record company waits 43 years to release music of a revolutionary musician and call it a once off never to be replaced again. Poor Jim doesn't even get any royalties coming his way
yet I don't think he was in it for the money as much rather as for the trip

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This tune is FUNKY!!

Oh, yeh.....

Is it him though or someone trying to make cash? Like a record Label!!

Just sounds a bit too funky for him.... but I guess its been re-mixed!!

Its a shame we dont hear this Funk anymore..
edit on 5-3-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I read a Guitar Player magazine interview with Noel Redding years ago in which Redding said that there was a lot of Hendrix material on tape, because he was a relentless jammer, but he said the quality of a lot of this stuff was not very good. He speculated on the eventual release of an album of "burps and farts".

Jimi's best stuff is timeless. I know people want to hear anything available, and I understand that, but for me, I don't want to hear substandard things from a genius, things that he never would have released in a million years if he had control of it.

I didn't listen to all the newly released cuts but from what I did listen to, I think we are getting to the bottom of the barrel.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's got a few really bluesie tracks, the second one I forget the name, WOW.
Also Loved Valleys of Neptune from 2010.

Frater

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

edit on 5-3-2013 by Frater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Who profits from these sales? Just curious, because it seems certain dead artist put out more music after their death.

Hendrix was awesome! Can you imagine what it would be like if he was still around?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles
Who profits from these sales? Just curious, because it seems certain dead artist put out more music after their death.

Hendrix was awesome! Can you imagine what it would be like if he was still around?

Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber ft. Jimi Hendrix....

jkjk... He probably would have stopped playing guitar and started composing orchestrations, electric symphonies of guitars and electric violins and all around trippy adventurous stuff. Maybe he would have even been president instead of obama... there are a lot of baby boomers.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yeah...good news, can't wait to "experiance" this release. To me it was no surprise the world would be treated with some unreleased Hendrix songs. There is this company...

Owned and operated by members of the Hendrix family, Experience Hendrix is the official family company charged with managing the name, likeness, image and 100% of the music of Jimi Hendrix's legacy. Formed in 1995 by James 'Al' Hendrix, Jimi's father, Experience Hendrix and its affiliates oversee the daily operations of the Hendrix legacy on a worldwide basis.

Source: Jimi

Jimi has been an ardent recorder of his own music and there should be miles of tape stored somewhere with his music on it. His family will be feeding mankind Jimi's compositions in moderate dosages. Because it is busines as usual I am afraid that they will stretch the stock as far and in between as possible.

Can you imagine what the value will be for a unknown Hendrix track over hundred years... Think finding a brandnew and never heared original composition of Mozart or any other great muscian from that era.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

who gets the money made off this album?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

"the second movie is a previously unreleased album"

Is it an album or a movie?! Make up your -SNIP-ing mind!!! Do you have any idea how annoying that is for people who don't know.what you're talking about? Yeah, I get that the person you were talking to knows what it is... But Springer and all the staff didn't tirelessly work their fingers to the bone day and night so that you two could have your own little private discussion, now, did they? Is that what you think?? Do you think they did all this, created this whole website with over 50 forums, took care of marketing, licensing, insurance, payroll, human resources, accounting, etc., and hire a whole staff and everything, JUST so you and your buddies can have a place to shoot the breeze? Cause if that's what you think then I've got a newsflash for ya, Dan Rather: They Didn't.

For your information, there are other people here. And I, for one, don't think its asking too much for you to explain yourself juuuuuuust a tad when you go around calling albums movies, and vice versa...

But no, not you... God no, are you kidding me? Expect the great Jude to follow the rules? Heck no! He just waltzes on in here, bends and twists reality until it's no longer recognisable, and then proceeds to go along his merry way without so much as a "howdy", he just causally whistles a favorite tune as he walks off into the distance, leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves in the wake of the devestation he leaves behind everywhere he goes...

You know what? Just...just forget it, man. Just don't even bother. I'll go look it up on the internet next time I jack-in to the Matrix. So, its whatever man... Just go enjoy yer freaken day, man. I'm sorry I bothered you, ok? Just don't worry about it, man...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join