It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Must Watch: High school basketball player passes ball to mentally challenged player on other team

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I put this in Other Current Events because it is ore to me than General Chit Chat. I used the search, but the new one kind of confuses me. If this is a repeat, I do apoligize please delete, but I hope more people are exposed to this video.

www.viddler.com...
(don't know how to embed since it isn't youtube or google, if someone could help, that'd be great)

This shows true love, teamwork, and sportmanship. The coach didn't have to let him manage, let him dress, and definitely did not have to let him play. His teammates did not have to throw him the ball once, let alone everytime. And for certain the other team member did not have to let him have the ball. It made no difference in the game, but it made a total difference in life. Stories are the love of people always get me. This is about loving others and loving the game. Hope it brightens at least someone's day as much as it brightened mine.

edit on 26-2-2013 by headorheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by headorheart

Yeah, that was pretty nice. But honestly, every one of his teammates and most of the guys on the other team look as challenged as he does. What's in the water around there?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

It's just great to see that kids do care. I swear the youth's do still surprise me every day.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Maybe there's hope yet for our kids! What a wonderful thing those kids did, especially the one on the opposing team who passed Mitchel the ball. I have a feeling he doesn't spend much of his free time playing video games. Thanks op for posting this video!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
videos like this restore my faith in humanity......then I watch live leak.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Good to see but not surprising is it? Too many old fools think too little of young people.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Yeah, that was pretty nice. But honestly, every one of his teammates and most of the guys on the other team look as challenged as he does. What's in the water around there?

lol man.

But seriously, good kid. Coach is a good bloke too putting him as manager so he can still be part of the team. Who knows, he might be a hell of a team manager one day..

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I see this as insulting to the mentally challenged kid.

It would make me feel real stupid and singled out if every one treated me different just because of my problems. Every time they passed him the ball, they might as well have yelled out, "you're not really as good as us".

I don't see this as love, I see this as disrespect. Although the players' intentions may have been benevolent, what they did was rob this kid of his dignity.
edit on 27-2-2013 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Seriously? With all the love and all the happiness and the selflessness that was going on in that video, you see it as an insult?

No, I see it as humanity, as simple children knowing the difference in good and bad in love and hate and giving up a moment of their own that would be taken through greed and giving it selflessly to someone else to make a memory that would last a lifetime not only to that child but to everyone, each and every person, at that game.

Just one basket in just one game and the challenged player was on top of the world, a moment that won't easily be rivaled at any point in his life. Happiness given to him and shared with everyone around him. It wasn't insulting, it was the most respectful thing that the other teen has probably ever done in his life. It built character in him, happiness in the other and gave love to every single person in attendance.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

What I expected to see when I clicked on the video link was insulting behaviour.

I am pleased to say that I saw no insulting behaviour, just good honest comradery between sportsmen.

This post would have had many more views if the title had been better too.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

I definitely am serious.

Like I said. The intentions might have been benevolent, and the subject may have been pleased, but that doesn't make it any less insulting. The bottom line for me is, despite the emotional context of that moment, is that dude was put on a pity pedestal. Especially by the guy from the other team.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I see this as insulting to the mentally challenged kid.

It would make me feel real stupid and singled out if every one treated me different just because of my problems. Every time they passed him the ball, they might as well have yelled out, "you're not really as good as us".

I don't see this as love, I see this as disrespect. Although the players' intentions may have been benevolent, what they did was rob this kid of his dignity.
edit on 27-2-2013 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

I'm with you on this one, its like "look what a martyr I am, I missed out on a chance to score because I passed to the special kid"

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the ref should have called no basket because of walking?

Pladuim

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I see it as a memory he will carry for the rest of his life. He will never get to play ball again for high school, college or Pro. It was his dream come true. His mom even said She would cry over it the rest of her life. All parents should be proud. You would never see that here where I live!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing this. As a Teacher I get to see actions like this from time to time - heart swells and it's as though your heart could burst with pride. It comes when you witness the actions and you have not been a part of what you witnessed. Students think to exhibit kindness and you realise that everything will be all right - eventually!

Awesome video - to actually see the Students play sport for the sake of playing and not winning - not something you see everyday.

Much Peace...to all Special Needs Children, who have as much right to a sense of belonging as everyone else...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

deep cynicism dude.

you know they do this for the kid who just sucks all around but busted ass in practice all season right? maybe the kid was grateful he was actually playing at all. and if you were mentally challenged, who's to say you would even pick up on it? maybe the moment it was happening was enough. i'm sure it meant a lot to the parents as well. there are real human beings involved with this story you know.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
We have already dumbed down the education system and lowered the bar so everyone can feel like a winner so why not do the same thing with sports.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

it's one unimportant game. who cares? it's not like they forced themselves to play him all season and then walked on eggshells to accommodate his lack of ability.

edit on 2/27/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet
reply to post by Tardacus

it's one unimportant game. who cares? it's not like they forced themselves to play him all season and then walked on eggshells to accommodate his lack of ability.

edit on 2/27/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

I agree that sports are unimportant but the lowering the bar trend has transcended the unimportant things and has become the norm in every aspect of life.
In a recent poll congress recieved the lowest approval rating in history,that in itself isn`t so surprising, the surprising part of the poll is that every senator individually recieved high approval ratings in their own districts.

everyone in the poll apparently thinks that their senator is doing a good job and it`s all the other senators that are doing a bad job.
It seems that everyone has lowered the bar so much that they can`t see that maybe their senator is doing just as bad of a job as all the other ones?It seems like even the senators know that there is no reason to strive to be the best that they can be because the people will pat them on the back and shower them with praises for being just an average senator doing a half ass job.

No one has ever become the best by being content with just being good enough.

It`s not just in sports and politics it prevades every aspect of our society from religion to business.People have lowered the bar,and their expectations so much ,that even businesses with horrible service survive, prosper and profit.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The kid on the other team that passed him the ball said it best. " I was raised to give others who have less a chance" It was the way I was raised" Thank that young mans parents for raising a damn fine young man. Humans one day we kill each other over stupid crap, the next day things like this. A shout out to Curtis, the kid in our neighborhood with the same type problems. You da man Curtis, you da man.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join