It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lost continent' found off Africa

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
reply to post by roblot

Here's some text from the article:

"Under the law of the sea, If you can demonstrate you have a piece of continental crust on which you can put your flag, you can immediately claim 200 nautical miles around it. And that's yours under the law of the sea to do what you like with it economically"

"So there's some degree of economic significance to something that might be purely scientific in terms of it's discovery."

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is about mining precious minerals. Zircon is not just a type of sand, it is one of the primary materials used in the manufacture of all ceramics. And there is more than just zircon.

Follow the money. Look for hydraulic dredging to begin.
The chinese upto certain extent seemed to claim territorial rights based on their ancient lineage and flourishment in the surrounding waters/nations. Just occurred to me.
edit on 27-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thank you for the info.

I had no idea and if you had not posted it I wouldn't have known about the sunken land.

I learneded somting today.

S&f

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

None that I'm aware of. And, how would you get to the mantle to prove it? Subduction is not happening is my view. And, why would the planet start with Pangea being half the planet, and water on the other half? The rotational imbalance?

The fossil evidence high in the mountains is damming to the notion of plate tectonics IMO. Just because what we see at the surface (considering the planetary shorelines at this point in time) appears to fit together like a puzzle does not justify obstinately creating a theory full of holes. If you look close enough, doesn't really fit.

I don't believe in plate tectonics. I'm not completely convinced of the proposed alternative hypotheses. I'm intrigued by the underground ocean idea which means we have a hydraulic fluid under pressure in crustal cracks that are influenced by weather and gravitational forces. It's possible that continents never moved, are rising, sea levels fluctuate and the rifts are blowing up magma. So, the crust is like an orange peel. This was detailed in a link I posted earlier.

Here's a possible alternative idea. Make's more sense to me. I'm not religious, but believe a great flood may have occurred in the past due to geologic evidence.

Therefore, the plateau that they are calling a "microcontinent" is now submerged, it did not sink. And the minerals blew up from the crack in the crust. Magma rising without crustal subduction.

edit on 27-2-2013 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2013 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Then there is this which is interesting. That they do fit like a puzzle and the earth is getting bigger. I'm trying to put together a thread on the whole issue of plate tectonics. Need to research more.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

How much evidence of past civilizations has been lost to subductions/eqs/volcanos?

Some. We're all familiar with Pompey and Herculeanum, Roman cities buried as a result of volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes, too, have buried ancient monuments here and there across the globe. However, the loss is not very significant compared to what has been lost by natural wear and attrition.

Earthquakes, tsunamis, etc., are effects of the tectonic processes that govern subduction. It is mainly visible through these processes.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by hp1229

How much evidence of past civilizations has been lost to subductions/eqs/volcanos?

Some. We're all familiar with Pompey and Herculeanum, Roman cities buried as a result of volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes, too, have buried ancient monuments here and there across the globe. However, the loss is not very significant compared to what has been lost by natural wear and attrition.

Earthquakes, tsunamis, etc., are effects of the tectonic processes that govern subduction. It is mainly visible through these processes.
Those would be more recent civilizations. My aim is to point to any evidence (if any) such in the case of this particular portion of land found off Africa. For example, what about the land some 500 million years ago which used to be in the open and flourished with vegetation over time was flooded with seas and eventually layers after layers of sediments and fossil deposits became a deep layer rock and strata and eventually returned back to the magma due to the plate tectonics ? Its a pretty long cycle and a long shot but throwing it out there. I mean there are plenty of discoveries made every year along remote areas of the earth where fossilized life form has been discovered dating back millions of years. However I am not too sure how far back human civilization had evolved in time.
edit on 28-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

My aim is to point to any evidence (if any) such in the case of this particular portion of land found off Africa. For example, what about the land some 500 million years ago which used to be in the open and flourished with vegetation over time was flooded with seas and eventually layers after layers of sediments and fossil deposits became a deep layer rock and strata and eventually returned back to the magma due to the plate tectonics ? Its a pretty long cycle and a long shot but throwing it out there. I mean there are plenty of discoveries made every year along remote areas of the earth where fossilized life form has been discovered dating back millions of years. However I am not too sure how far back human civilization had evolved in time.

There were no landmasses 'flourishing with vegetation' 500 million years ago. The first land plants appeared in the Ordovician Period, about 50 million years after that, and only began to show diversity of species about 420 million years ago.

As far as we know, the first bipedal hominids appeared about 4 million years ago. Obviously human evolution began much later than that.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

My aim is to point to any evidence (if any) such in the case of this particular portion of land found off Africa. For example, what about the land some 500 million years ago which used to be in the open and flourished with vegetation over time was flooded with seas and eventually layers after layers of sediments and fossil deposits became a deep layer rock and strata and eventually returned back to the magma due to the plate tectonics ? Its a pretty long cycle and a long shot but throwing it out there. I mean there are plenty of discoveries made every year along remote areas of the earth where fossilized life form has been discovered dating back millions of years. However I am not too sure how far back human civilization had evolved in time.

There were no landmasses 'flourishing with vegetation' 500 million years ago. The first land plants appeared in the Ordovician Period, about 50 million years after that, and only began to show diversity of species about 420 million years ago.

As far as we know, the first bipedal hominids appeared about 4 million years ago. Obviously human evolution began much later than that.
Thats ofcourse a theory which keeps changing with time and more discoveries
How can we possibly conclude that it is the final theory? Do you think that we have possibly explored each and every corner of the earth for more evidence and supporting facts?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i know Tamil! it is not a dead ancient language yet!

I researched into the islands but i got lost in too many theories popping up, so i gave up on it. Looking forward to ATS live.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

reply to post by hp1229

Thats ofcourse a theory which keeps changing with time and more discoveries
How can we possibly conclude that it is the final theory? Do you think that we have possibly explored each and every corner of the earth for more evidence and supporting facts?

Sure it is, but it's the hypothesis that fits the facts as they are today. If you really need to wait for all the facts to come in, then you'll probably never be able to discuss anything.

Evolution of humans started long ago, going back to the point where sexuality became a going concern, perhaps a billion years ago. We use the jaw, teeth, gill slits, gills, fins and much of thew internal structure developed by sarcopterygians, the legs and lungs (from gills) developed by amphibians, the amniotic egg, the placenta, the hair... We've inherited features from all of them, and more. Our evolution started when everything else's did - when our uni-cellular ancestors invented sex.
edit on 2-3-2013 by puncheex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexanderM
reply to post by Hongkongphooey

There are a couple of translational issues that when sorted out, put Atlantis in the Med right about where Santorini is. The evidence is much stronger than bimini.

Certainly the year 1628BC is something worth further investigation:

www.travel-to-santorini.com...

THERA, ANCIENT GREECE

It is the southernmost island of the Cyclades group of Greece, in the Aegean Sea. It is the remaining eastern half of an exploded volcano. In ancient times, it was known as Calliste ("Most Beautiful") and had been inhabited since before 2000 BC. In ~1628 BC, one of the largest volcanic eruptions occurred. The force of this explosion was equivalent to the detonation of about 150 Hydrogen Bombs. An 800-foot tidal wave went 30-miles inland, on the surrounding mainlands. This eruption was recorded all over the world. In Egypt, the royal scribes recorded nine days of darkness caused by a dense cloud of ash. The scribes in China also recorded the cloud of ash. It was also recorded in nature. In the bristle cone trees in California, US, the tree-ring formations are dramatically smaller in the 1620s BC suggesting a period of darkness. In the 1980s AD, scientists took core samples from the icecap on Greenland and found a layer of ash in the layers following 1628 BC. In 1967, the Greek archaeologist Spyridon Marinatos found the remains of a city preserved by the volcanic ash on Thera. It is a Minoan city that has large, well-built, multi-story houses, which hold a number of the best Minoan frescoes discovered in the Mediterranean. The frescoes are found in every room and depict the people of Thera, swallows, antelopes, and monkeys to name a few. The city also has fountains, plumbing (with hot and cold water), flush toilets and bathtubs. The explosion of Thera inspired the story of Atlantis and parts of the Old Testament book of Exodus

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
good find, cant wait to hear more on this. I actually think there is a ton of stuff on the ocean floors we have not found yet.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join