It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lost continent' found off Africa

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

SCIENTISTS believe they've discovered the remains of a lost continent on the floor of the Indian Ocean off Africa.

The research team from Norway, South Africa, Germany and the UK identified the ancient “microcontinent” after analysing beach sands from the island of Mauritius.

Before somebody whines. I know you have to sign up.....!

The point here is that they may be onto something big. I'll search for a corroborating source but in the meantime this was just posted and I'd thought it would be good idea to get it listed in this forum right from the start just in case.

I know It may just be a sensational headline but it could also be something BIG in the works

Stay tuned....

edit on 24-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

A group of geoscientists from Norway, South Africa, Britain and Germany published a new study in the Feb. 24, 2013, issue of Nature Geoscience that redefines plate tectonics based on new physical evidence and the movement of lava hotspots that indicate ancient continental movement.

The researchers found that the islands Reunion and Mauritius cover a continent fragment that has previously been hidden under huge masses of lava. The continent fragment known as Mauritia detached from Eastern Gondwana about 60 million years ago while Madagascar and India drifted apart.

The volcanic hotspot beneath the islands was previously thought to have been the markings of the trail of the Reunion hotspot because of the lava cover.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

A longer read on the topic...

Found: Prehistoric Indian Ocean mini-continent

Scientists said Sunday they had found traces of a micro-continent hidden underneath the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius.

The slab, dubbed Mauritia, was probably formed around 61-83 million years ago after Madagascar split from India, but eventually broke up and became smothered by thick lava deposits, they said.

In a study published in the journal Nature Geoscience, scientists analysed beach sand on Mauritius that contained ancient zircons between 660 million and about two billion years old.

The minute chips of mineral were a remarkable find, as they were buried in sand formed only recently in geological terms -- from nine-million-year-old volcanic rock.

"The zircon points to the existence of fragments of an ancient micro-continent beneath the island (Mauritius), pieces of which were brought to the surface by recent volcanic activity," said a Nature statement.

The Indian Ocean floor may be littered with hidden land fragments that broke off as the once super-continent Pangea split up and formed the continents we know today, the paper suggests.

Pangea began to rift about 200 million years ago, yielding Gondwana in the south and Laurasia in the north.

Gondwana in turn split into Madagascar, Australia, Antarctica and India between 80 and 130 million years ago.

The new study suggests that Mauritia became detached when Madagascar and India split up.

The Seychelles, it adds, could be like Mauritia -- another continental fragment that, however, is visible.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I know It may just be a sensational headline but it could also be something BIG in the works Stay tuned....
reply to post by SLAYER69

Big fan here slay man, but I believe this is not that BIG. Please explain, what "BIG" could this possibly mean? Do you have a theory to share with us? So far looks to be nothing more than a "micro continent" Which is basically a glorified island.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Its Atlantis.

First!

Im jk, but in all seriousness could there be a connection? I have to ask because im a huge edgar casey fan and a fan of the atlantis.
edit on 24-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

I find any new discovery of this sort to be BIG news.

For decades now we have known more about the Lunar and Martian surfaces than we do about our own Planets oceans depths and hidden secrets.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
isn't that the place where the Tamil people lived before it flooded?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

I've read quite a few threads here t ATS over the years. I was wondering if those who are more familiar with the stories would step forward and post what they've read or know.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
Its Atlantis.

First!

Im jk, but in all seriousness could there be a connection? I have to ask because im a huge edgar casey fan and a fan of the atlantis.
edit on 24-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

From how I'm reading this it sounds like it "went under" way before humans, or even big mammals, roamed the Earth. Nothing wrong with a little Edgar Cayce, and ATS should have more active threads on him, but this was long before what he was talking about in his ancient-earth material.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Well, this is most awesome! I hope they're able to map it out as I wonder what 'micro' means, size wise.

The Pre-Cambrian was host to so many really strange critters... I wonder what sorts lived there and if they could figure out how to retrieve some... unlikely, I know. Hopefully at least some bits of it are sticking out enough for a look-see.

Thanks for the good news Slayer!

Peace.

edit on 2/24/2013 by PixelDuster because: classified

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Before the fantasists get all sweaty and drooly about this (not that it will stop them, anyway):
  1. This is not the first time the remains of ancient supercontinents have been found in the Indian Ocean; see this BBC article datelined 27 May 1999. 'Lost Continent' Discovered

2. The present discovery, to which the OP alludes, sank beneath the waves at least 61 million years ago. A Precambrian Microcontinent in the Indian Ocean

The Tamils are a proud and ancient people, but not quite so ancient as all that.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm definitely interested in hearing more about what they determine from this. I certainly have my feelings about what is and isn't known about planetary sciences. I have this sneaking suspicion that a few generations in the future will see our level of knowledge as those we look at from the 20's or earlier.

I wish I could get more excited because I've never lost sight, not for a moment, of what I watch for signs of being found and it's not Atlantis. Something else...and very very old. At the same time? I've come to feel like many must have felt in the late 30's with Germany on an artifact collection rampage, world wide. I almost hope no one finds certain things until the current troubled times have past, one way or another. Anything of great power or promise to come to light now would be warped, I fear.

It sounds cynical, but that's how my feelings have been running lately. Maybe my children's children will be in a better world for solving some of the mysteries of antiquity without repeating what MADE them antiquity.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
And this means ...????

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Typical isn't it? There i was, reading all about this before i logged into ATS this morning.......thinking of doing my first thread.......and then find out you beat me too by hours!

Mind you, think i would have put this one in Fragile Earth.

Astyanax has this completely correct. This is very interesting as it explains several geological anomalies (Seychelles for example) but it sank at least 61 million years ago. Seeing as our oldest "ancestors" (loosely speaking) are only around 14 million years old, then those Tamils would have to be seriously impressive to predate humanity! (especially by 4 times the length of time humans have been around).

S & F.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a great find and so nice to have a few sources, as well as the rational view points getting in before before we hear about peoples crystal dominated past lives there like 70 million years ago

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The first thing that came to mind when reading the title was 'Lemuria' the ancient lost continent. But i'm sure i read plate tectonics ruled this theory out. Either way, i have no idea what i am talking about

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

It's in plain sight, look at the ocean around Mauritius in Google Maps/Earth around that area.

I can guarantee this was discovered a long time ago and not recently.

Not sure why this is news.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
So far there is nowhere near as many 'It's Atlantis!!' posts as i was expecting

Very Interesting tho, I will be following this to see what they find out.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by thesmokingman

I find any new discovery of this sort to be BIG news.

For decades now we have known more about the Lunar and Martian surfaces than we do about our own Planets oceans depths and hidden secrets.

Exactly! I want to find Atlantis!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join