It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Rewrite History….Again!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Is Argo a documentary? Last I knew it was not. It's a movie based on true events...that does not mean everything in the movie is or has to be entirely accurate. Again...it's Hollywood. They can make whatever type of movie they want and if they want to make the U.S.A. look badass then they can.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's well known that Hollywood and the Pentagon are in cahoots. So many clever movie-alterations is bound to have an effect on people. I wouldn't imagine they would go to such great length if it didn't pay off in the end.

So, does it pay off?

Producers of the mindless blockbuster Independence Day (1996) bent over backwards to gain access to Department of Defense heavy equipment. The Pentagon rejected these overtures, claiming that the movie did not contain any “true military heroes” and that Captain Steve Hiller (Will Smith) was too irresponsible to be cast as a Marine leader (he dates a stripper). Moreover, the invading aliens were thwarted not by the Marines, but by civilians. While Dean Devlin, the scriptwriter, agreed to rectify these “flaws”, Independence Day was given no assistance.

Jurassic Park III (2001), on the other hand, was given two navy Seahawk helicopters, four amphibious assault vehicles and 80 Marines to storm the beach at the end of the movie. These were provided after filmmakers agreed to a military “product placement”—a clearly visible Navy logo on a helicopter which rescues stranded protagonists, and a line of dialogue by little Eric (Trevor Morgan): “You have to thank her now. She sent the Navy and the Marines.” In the original script, it was not the Navy but the State Department that arranged for a helicopter.

It is well known that overtly militaristic and patriotic films with Rambo-like heroes boost military recruitment. According to the navy, recruitment of young men into naval aviation increased by 500 percent after the release of Top Gun. Such was the military’s enthusiasm for Top Gun that it even established recruitment booths inside some of the cinemas screening the movie. “These kids came out of the movie with eyes as big as saucers and said, ‘Where do I sign up?’” declared Major David Georgi.

Source: Operation Hollywood: How the Pentagon shapes and censors the movies by David L. Robb

Below, is a great documentary about the topic: "Hollywood and the Pentagon: A Dangerous Liaison (2003)"

Related articles
Movies backed by Pentagon
edit on 25/2/2013 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
And who could forget the two Historical efforts from Mel Gibson, 'Braveheart' and 'The Patriot', I half expected the A-Team and the Justice League of America to turn up and fight the English with with William Wallace in that movie as everything else in that film was utter fiction, and don't get me started on The Patriot, there must have been history book rationing at the time those films were made. :-)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
You could always watch U-571 which is about as accurate as Apples mapping software which makes out that the Americans captured a German sub with its enigma machine intact when in fact it was the British on HMS Bulldog stopping U-110 who actually did the job...but when has the truth ever stopped Hollywood from just making a complete dogs dinner of the facts

the Americans did actually capture a U Boot, in the south Atlantic, I think, but instead of keeping quiet, it was broadcast to the world, so within minuets the U Boot code books captured by the Brits were useless, thus leading to more sinkings of merchant ships.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Thank you Freeborn for bringing clarity and perspective to this thread!
This matter is not about who chooses what to watch but the blatant rewriting of history.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

How is it that someone can spend YEARS on ATS and still have literally no clue about the true source of wars?

You claim to be aware that history has been rewritten and yet you appear to actually BELIEVE it. This is anything BUT laughable...

How is it that someone can spend years chasing rainbows and unicorns whilst there are "real-time, real-life" conspiracies staring them right in the face?

You claim to be "aware" yet actually believe in fairy-tales! This is laughable....

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

[snip]

Thanks to the USA you people are living with lights, cars, movies and computers...

[snip]

This part of your post made me laugh so hard I damn near fell off my chair.

Congratulations for proving the OP's point that the average American apparently does buy into the flag waving propaganda being fed to them (whether it comes from Hollywood or otherwise) as factual "historical truths".

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by krazykanuk

Could it be because you are Canadian and Canada originally got all credit for the rescue and Americans were the driving force? The have admitted to embellishing the story for moviegoers. For example (and a psuedo spoiler so stop reading if you haven't seen the movie): the Iranians weren't close to getting them and werent chasing them firing shots as portrayed right at the escape scene. I agree that Canada had a bigger part in the whole thing than the movie gives credit for, but it was an American operation I believe and all American involvement was secret.

The movie was just directed by Affleck. Read this article if you want to know how the movie came about:
How a Wired magazine story became Affleck's "Argo."
I have to ask if it isn't a little personal because Canada originally got all the credit because America couldn't let it be known what they had done. So it's a little victory stripped away from the Canadians (who of course did play an important role and helped save American lives during the whole ordeal). Relations with Iran had to be maintained as much as possible at the time. They admitted to the story recently as things fell apart. History is always going to reveal truths and secrets as time passes.

Have you seen the movie? It's really a pretty good flick.

OP you should read this article: Argo screening in D.C. deemed PR win, 'Canada love-in' Affleck has been talking about Canada having more extensive involvement than portrayed in his own movie. I would read up on the subject a little more before making a thread knocking him.

edit on 25-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Wow! your comment clearly demonstrates exactly what I mean by the US attitude toward rewriting history. The original 6 hostages that ARGO is based upon were unequivocally rescued by the Canadians in a rescue attempt orchestrated by the Canadians. The US botched the rescue of the remaining hostages two times!

The movie is touted as a true story yet it is nothing but a delusional fairy-tale full of lies from start to finish.
Little Bennie claims to know exactly what transpired during this time yet I guarantee he was still wetting his pants when this happened. As a so-called learned expert on Middle East history, Affleck should be doubly shamed of this drivel!

Your damned rights I am angry because I am a Canadian. And what is so wrong about me as a Canadian being irate about this movie? I am sure the Yanks would be out in full protest if the shoe were on the other foot...N'est pas?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Ben Affleck thanked Canada. I was watching to see if anyone did which of course they should but you can't say the rest of the film didn't happen because with a few minor, some might say insignificant, changes... it did.
Hollywood uses artist license to edit and embellish for entertainment.

Ya...he gave a quick quip to Canada at his acceptance speech. PSST!

Embellish the truth?...a few minor changes? This movie is a fictitious, bald-faced lie from start to finish, yet it is promoted as a "true story" in the MSM!

This is how history is rewritten to the masses or don't you get that?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by krazykanuk
Embellish the truth?...a few minor changes? This movie is a fictitious, bald-faced lie from start to finish, yet it is promoted as a "true story" in the MSM!

Here's a bit of perspective on the matter from a Piers Morgan interview with Jimmy Carter, that aired on CNN:

MORGAN: You’ve seen “Argo,” I take it? How accurate is it from your memory?
CARTER: Well, let me say, first of all, it’s a great drama. And I hope it gets the Academy Award for best film because I think it deserves it. The other thing that I would say was that ninety per cent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian. And the movie gives almost full credit to the American C.I.A. And, with that exception, the movie is very good.

But Ben Affleck’s character in the film was only—he was only in, stayed in, Iran a day and a half. And the main hero, in my opinion, was Ken Taylor, who was the Canadian Ambassador who orchestrated the entire process.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Not really, I can't speak for everyone but most should know that movies that are based on a true story is kind of a joke, they usually have nothing to do with the actual story. Canada is not the only victim of it, it happens all the time, it isn't the first or last time it is going to happen.

These are movies, not historical documents and are meant to make money mostly from an American audience, most Hollywood movies are, but fear not I am sure a movie directed by Ben won't change the history books.

Your angry over an American movie, aimed at an American audience made to make money? I am sure if you dig into movies made in other countries you'll run into the same thing here and there, the best thing you can do is show your dissatisfaction by not going to see it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
no self respecting Native American( wring name but okay for this purpose) believes any of the ies of the media.. IF it is dirty and it's being touted on the media , you can bet there is a hell of a lot more to the story than the American people will find out anytime soon

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Could it be because you are Canadian and Canada originally got all credit for the rescue and Americans were the driving force? The have admitted to embellishing the story for moviegoers. For example (and a psuedo spoiler so stop reading if you haven't seen the movie): the Iranians weren't close to getting them and werent chasing them firing shots as portrayed right at the escape scene. I agree that Canada had a bigger part in the whole thing than the movie gives credit for, but it was an American operation I believe and all American involvement was secret.

The movie was just directed by Affleck. Read this article if you want to know how the movie came about:
How a Wired magazine story became Affleck's "Argo."

I have to ask if it isn't a little personal because Canada originally got all the credit because America couldn't let it be known what they had done. So it's a little victory stripped away from the Canadians (who of course did play an important role and helped save American lives during the whole ordeal). Relations with Iran had to be maintained as much as possible at the time. They admitted to the story recently as things fell apart. History is always going to reveal truths and secrets as time passes.

Have you seen the movie? It's really a pretty good flick.

OP you should read this article: Argo screening in D.C. deemed PR win, 'Canada love-in' Affleck has been talking about Canada having more extensive involvement than portrayed in his own movie. I would read up on the subject a little more before making a thread knocking him.

edit on 25-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Good points and I think we can say the movie wasn't about the heroism and bravery of the Canadians - it was about the wild, crazy and unbelievable ESCAPE. Why don't the Canadians just make their own movie focusing on the beginning and their part in history? I'd watch it too. lol

There have been several docs. and movies, both American and Canadian...perhaps you should watch them!

movie1
doc 1
movie2

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I guess they get away with it by saying "based" on a true story. Also, please refrain from grouping every American into the same group... America didn't rewrite history, a less than average hack actor named Ben Affleck did.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
On a site whose maxim is Deny Ignorance and which supports the search for the truth and transparency we have the majority of US posters who openly support falsification of facts all in the name of entertainment and appeasement of American audience sensibilities.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I question your logic about lumping all Americans together. Do you not collectively make a society? Might I add that this movie was apparently lapped up by Joe Public with its win at the Oscars. Why is that?

It seems very dangerous to me that the public is eating up this MSM drivel while denying what really happened. Especially when this incident is well documented and happened within our generation! Now there is a real conspiracy!

edit on 25-2-2013 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2013 by krazykanuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

... we have the majority of US posters who openly support falsification of facts all in the name of entertainment and appeasement of American audience sensibilities.

Not sure that anyone I have read on this thread has openly support falsification of facts all in the name of entertainment and appeasement of American audience sensibilities. I have read several who pointed out the reasoning behind it... because we are indeed talking about entertainment.

As I said before, I think it is absurd to stereotype all Americans, or even all Americans on this website, into a lump of coal to then light up over something like this. If you feel driven to do so, then educated our ignorant, useless nation with your enlightenment. Teach us about reasons why we should be ashamed as a nation... and if you are smart enough, we'll all drown ourselves in a bucket of tears and make the world a better place.

Aside from that, you can attack anyone and guilty or not, after a while they will get tired of the abuse and fight back.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
On a site whose maxim is Deny Ignorance and which supports the search for the truth and transparency we have the majority of US posters who openly support falsification of facts all in the name of entertainment and appeasement of American audience sensibilities.

my fellow countrymen would say the moon was pink if it firthered their own ego driven agenda.. There is a reason Charlotte Isybert wrote "the Dumbing Down of America"

question it not if it's on tv or the net seems to be their motto..you could pput them into whole communities in that country and they could amass real first person narratives .. still they would uphold their party line.. it's beyond sad

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Where does the movie say "This is a documentary?"

I do not see that anywhere in the advertising, what i see "Inspired by true events"

I am not sure how or why anyone would take a movie that never claims to be a documentary as fact.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I remember having a debate with my mate years ago about this, it used to annoy me a lot.
His opinion was that it's not Hollywood's (or any movie director etc) job to educate people and teach history.
I agree to a point and have always pretty much thought this since, movies are movies and history is history.
Although I think as film makers, you should be aware and should have a duty to at least be honest, or as honest as possible.

People have mentioned films like U571, The Patriot and Braveheart... I dunno, I see why it annoys people but I guess it's not Hollywood's job to teach history, It's just the arrogance I guess that annoys people.

The same sort of rubbish is spouted in threads about WWII.... and many other topics.

America are the saviours of the world and invented everything.

And someone just pointed out to the American who claimed that America invented Cars and everything else.

Always cracks me up how America is the centre of the universe for Americans.

Do they teach that America invented everything? The TV & Car and Internet, Moving Pictures and whatever else?

Because you really didn't.

Is it kind of like North Korea??

edit on 25/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join