It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talkin' bout my generation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by eleven44

Originally posted by jude11
Do you understand "The Who?"

Or are you merely quoting one of the all time greatest Rock Bands of our time?

Just asking.

Peace

'Understand?'
I believe I understand The Who, but perhaps not your questions.

For the record, these are some of the bands I was raised on (and still listen to):
The Who
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
The Amazing Rhythm Aces
The Rolling Stones
Buddy Holly
Neil Young
ZZ Top
Fleetwood Mac
The Eagles
Bob Dylan
The Moody Blues
Steely Dan
Elton John
Jefferson Airplane

and many, many more.

My parents passed on their great taste in music. I love 'classic' rock.

I chose to quote The Who to illustrate the fact that this whole 'blame the younger generation' has been going on throughout history and to possibly relate it to (I presume) your generation.

For the record, I am in a band and we cover the song 'My Generation' by the who, as well as 'Gimme Shelter' by the Rolling Stones and 'Somebody to Love' by Jefferson Airplane and many other 'classics.'

There is also this quote from Socrates :

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress."

(But I do believe there is some dispute as to whether the quote can truly be attributed to him or not.)
edit on 24-2-2013 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

I didn't ask if you could list the top 20 bands of a generation.

I asked if you understand The Who?

Peace

Yes, that is why I began my response with the direct answer, 'I believe I understand The Who...'

The only reason I preface that with 'believe' is because I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to infer with your question. I have a full grasp on what The Who means to me. I am familiar with the biography of Pete Townshed. I am mostly familiar with Tommy, Who's Next, My Generation and Who Are You.
I have Tommy and Who's Next on vinyl.
I have had many discussions with friends (one friend in particular) about The Who and the meaning of their albums (my friend is mildly obsessed with The Who as well as Yes and he loves to talk about them.)

But, if you think there may be something that I am missing (and I am sure there may be, for I do not claim to know 'all' about anything) please enlighten me.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Every generation has their imbeciles, it's unfair to single one gen out, and more unfair to label every young person as delinquents and ne'er do wells.

The MSM should take some blame for the younger generation copping flak, after all, doing a story on young adults who work for rotary, Emergency services, etc requires too much research and hard work.

Instead they can make an opinion piece from archived footage, and have a reporter narrate it with their bias diatribe.

And the older gens will watch,shaking their heads while mumbling "tsk tsk tsk. What's wrong with the kids nowadays?" Even though a percentage of their gen were no angels themselves.

Older generations are responsible for people like George W, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Nixon, Charles Manson, etc. Not to mention all the politicians who insisted a war in Iraq, Where thousands of people from my generation died from the decisions made by our elders.

If you want to see everyone from gen Y and beyond as worthless, lazy and stupid than you yourself have become a bitter old pessimist. Instead of basing your opinions from what you see on TV or social media, get out there and see for yourself the good that young people are doing in the community.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by eleven44

Oh your a hipster . No I never said you were self absorbed I said kids today are. (Your a little old to be calling your self a kid by the way)
A. Worthless
B. Pieces of #
C. Lazy
D . Media addicts
No matter how hard you try you cant save the world, even if you dress like a hippie /hipster mash up.

I deleted this response.
To sum it up: I wish the best for you and your opinion. I'm sure it will get you far.
But, despite you and your opinion,
I have nothing but hope for humanity and my generation.
Only time will tell.
I hope you have a great night/life.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

One of my first posts here >> www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm going to bed now.
I thank you for the discussion.
I appreciate you challenging my opinion and giving me the opportunity to speak my truth.
I apologize if I spoke out of anger.
I ask forgiveness if I have invoked the same within you.
Chances are...you're a wonderful person.
Chances are...you care deeply about those you love.
Chances are... you work very hard to provide for those you love and for your life.
Chances are... you wish the world were better than it currently is.
Chances are...you want happiness as much as we all do.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist” - George Carlin

I wish you a blessed night/morning/day/life.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Kids today are worthless pieces sh*t.

I applaud you for your broad and blunt generalization, I've always enjoyed being called fecal matter.

Now for my 'broad' generalization.

By the look of your username and psychedelic turtle avatar, your memories of the sixties and seventies consist mainly of acid flashbacks and war protests.

And just like you call my gen worthless, perhaps your parents generation said the same thing when you told them you and your friends wanted to major in philosophy and sitar playing, because there are plenty of job openings in those fields.

Maybe you had a fly by night tie dye company, where half the hemp you made your clothes from was smoked before it got to the manufacturing stage.

And let's not forget free love; I'm sure the promiscuous teens of today were envious of your famous sixties orgies.

This is not a personal attack, I'm sure you're a kind, intelligent person, but when you call an entire generation crap, that's unfair to those who aren't. I could call everyone in your generation smelly, tree hugging hippies, but you and I know that's not true.

And your statement is not true. Not everyone under thirty is a criminal, wastrel, or inarticulate.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Back in the day. . . . .

Every generation has it easier than the previous one, for the most part.

Got upset because someone was insulting your age group?

*wah*

It's been going on since Noah made his kids go boating.

Be the change you want to be. Ghandi (an old guy) said that.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Funny isn't it ?
My parents complained about my generation as well, yeah sure we had our morons as well but we grew up, I'm sure some of us did some stupid things, I know I did. It was exploring the boundaries, part of growing up. The only difference is that we couldn't film it and put it on the net to go global.
Hence it remained localized and was dealt with.
When it goes global it's just harder to stop it.
Kids will be kids, a clip around the ear or a smacked ar5e usually sorts it out. Even if the law and so called society frown upon it.

Cody

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Back in the day. . . . .

Every generation has it easier than the previous one, for the most part.

Got upset because someone was insulting your age group?

*wah*

It's been going on since Noah made his kids go boating.

Be the change you want to be. Ghandi (an old guy) said that.

"Easier" is a relative phrase. Sure, most of us aren't pumping water or freezing to death on the prairie anymore, but by no means does that negate the problems every generation faces. No generation in the history of humankind has faced a world like the one we face today....much less been raised in it. It's an experiment, and our children are the guinea pigs.
I'm not 'wah-ing.' I am growling.

An older generation blaming the youth for the problems
is like a farmer blaming the crops for not watering themselves.

And I believe it's 'be the change you wish to see.'
Plus, rumor has it, Ghandi wasn't always an old guy. He was a kid once too.

I'm calm now.
I just get frustrated sometimes.
I can't always understand the hatred and anger I see within others
and how often they take that out on others,
especially my generation.

Yes, I know this is nothing new.
And I actively, consciously, daily, strive to become the change I wish to see.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
And back in the 50s, the adults would complain about the greasers and the the overall trouble makers. It's not just this generation, man. It'll happen to your current generation too, when your children zoom around on their hoverboards and talk to holograms coming out of their 17th Generation iPhones.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Marcelli

And back in the 50s, the adults would complain about the greasers and the the overall trouble makers. It's not just this generation, man. It'll happen to your current generation too, when your children zoom around on their hoverboards and talk to holograms coming out of their 17th Generation iPhones.

I can only imagine. One day when I'm old and grey, I'll be relaxing on my porch with a red bull while reading the latest twitter feeds, reading about how Stem cell abuse is on the rise, and how hyper Siberian sloth metal music is rotting the kids' brains.

And I'll be sure to vent my anger at #monsantopresentsFOXnews, And I'll be sure to raise the issue to president elect Kardashian, who won the election unanimously, thanks to Facebook 2.0, who organized and sponsored her campaign.

edit on 24-2-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: Syntax error

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

As hilarious as that post is, I unfortunately am not a burned out old hippie. I don't know where that idea came from. I just turned 28.

As I stated the parents of this current batch of high school age students were crap to. At no time did I defend my age group or any other group for that matter. We're all the same.

And my username zonetripper is the name I pulled from a character in film called hardware, a film spin off of the "2000 AD" comic line up. The 2065 is random.The psychedelic turtle is is a 2 part thingy. Part;y because I do enjoy to listen to The Grateful Dead while relax or work on one if my projects. And it reminds me of a turtle described in a Stephen King novel.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Like i said, my post was a broad generalization. I'm 28 as well.

My point is you can't assume that every kid is a worthless P.O.S, just as I assumed you were a grizzly old burnout because of your username and avatar.

Every year at ANZAC day, I go down for the street parade. What do I see? kids and teens proudly marching with their grandfather's medals on their chest. The State emergency services banners are held high by the same age demographic, who also host sausage sizzles to raise funds at the local supermarket.

Not to mention the 'nippers', kids as young as six who train to be surf lifesavers.

That's why I took offense to your remark.

And for the record The 'dead and Stephen king are awesome. That we can agree upon.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Todays Generation.......take a look in your neighor hood on a warm sunny day, there are no kids outside playing, even when its raining....computers, cell phones, tablets ect, social networks, youtube ect, our kids are disconnected from knowing how to have fun and an imagination.

I can remember being out side 18 of the 24 hours a day, rain, snow, sun did not matter, when we wanted to talk with some one we knocked on the door or called them, if we wanted to communicate we wrote letters.

Those kids in the video probalby are recreating something they saw on You Tube.

Most kids now adays think we should give them everything and they don't have to work for it.....Sounds Familiar? Goverment handouts, these kids are not stupid they are learning how to use the sytem to make it work for them.

Yes this generation has a problem they don't know how to think for themselfs without texting or you tubeing it.

One thing they need to know is sure they think they are the ones out there having fun but its people like myself that they have to sit in front of when they want a real job.
edit on 24-2-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join