It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis Suffer? Art Can Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What is Sleep Paralysis you may ask?

Well I use to suffer from it mostly in my teens, and at first its horrible and terrifying. In short I would be totally paralysed in my bed while i became suddenly awake from a sleep.

I was unable talk or scream. A feeling of a presence would be upon me or in my room. Feeling like someone was pushing down on my chest or my spine/back. I could hear buzzing or high-pitched sounds each time also.

Some more information from another source to help explain more: "Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which people, either when falling asleep or wakening, temporarily experience an inability to move. More formally, it is a transition state between wakefulness and rest characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It can occur at sleep onset or upon awakening, and it is often associated with terrifying visions (e.g. an intruder in the room), to which one is unable to react due to paralysis". (en.wikipedia.org...)

Basically I found that by producing art work related to my experiences I was able to treat myself from any future episodes of sleep paralysis from recurring. Since producing paintings/drawings I have not experienced sleep paralysis since. Maybe this is a coincidence? I don't know.

So if any of you suffer from Sleep Paralysis or know someone who does please advise them to simply pick up a brush or pencil/pen and start thinking of their experiences and produce any artwork related to them. It might help them. Maybe sculpture is your thing, then why not make some 3D artwork. Overall I truly believe it will help. It seemed to help me. I will leave you with some examples of my sleep paralysis works.

Peace.

edit on 23-2-2013 by zidanelittle because: spelling

edit on 23-2-2013 by zidanelittle because: add more images

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zidanelittle

You should just learn to get used to it and use it to your advantage. Sleep paralysis is something that can be used to easily enter a dream while conscious"lucid dream". People like me actually try to induce sleep paralysis for the purpose of lucid dreaming.
Nothing in sleep paralysis can hurt you and everything you experience in that state is all dependent on your expectations or fears. If you can change your mind set you can also change the experience making it less frightening or even the opposite.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zidanelittle

Awww. the second one is kind of cute. Harmless.

I suffered from SP and still do sometimes even now. Not as much as when I was younger, but every now and then I can feel myself "going there" is how I describe it and I will immediately start doing things to wake myself up (kicking, wiggling my fingers, ect) Sometimes I am too late and I slip into it and just deal with it knowing that whatever I experience in this situation is fake and then I will eventually wake up.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

cool cool. I remember the first time I actually thought an alien was pinning me down and controlling me. No doubt that SOME people that claim to have been abducted were in fact just having a strong case of sleep paralysis maybe.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

ummm...well i would like to experience sleep paralysis again maybe in a way as I'm sure i would be less scared being an adult now. it would be interesting to see how positive i could make the experience. no idea how to bring on sleep paralysis to be honest, cant be healthy i'm guessing. The best dreams I've had have been when i've eaten a # load of cheese in the evening. cheese dreams, lol.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by zidanelittle
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

cool cool. I remember the first time I actually thought an alien was pinning me down and controlling me. No doubt that SOME people that claim to have been abducted were in fact just having a strong case of sleep paralysis maybe.

Yeah that is what I believe as well. Whatever you fear or expect will often happen in my experience. It all depends on your mindset and beliefs.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zidanelittle
reply to post by juleol

ummm...well i would like to experience sleep paralysis again maybe in a way as I'm sure i would be less scared being an adult now. it would be interesting to see how positive i could make the experience. no idea how to bring on sleep paralysis to be honest, cant be healthy i'm guessing. The best dreams I've had have been when i've eaten a # load of cheese in the evening. cheese dreams, lol.

The WILD technique for lucid dreaming will induce SP for most people whcih basically involves laying completely still while keeping your mind/brain awake which will often lead to body falling asleep while your brain is still conscious.

new topics

top topics

join