It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent Scotland 'may need tax increases to pay for welfare'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Taxes in an independent Scotland may have to increase to fund the burgeoning cost of benefits, a report by a senior economist has warned. Professor David Bell said economic growth would have to keep pace with the spiralling cost of welfare north of the Border if taxes were not to increase. The Stirling University academic said politicians arguing for control of welfare to be devolved to Holyrood or total independence have yet to provide a “a clear, costed vision” of how this could be achieved.

His analysis is a blow for SNP ministers who have put Westminster’s controversial welfare reforms at the forefront of their campaign for independence in the hope of attracting poorer Scots. However, Treasury figures published yesterday showed the cost of the welfare state in Scotland has reached £4,063 per head, almost £400 more than in England.

edit on 19-2-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)
IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
edit on Tue Feb 19 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tdk84

Man that wall of text is tough to read......Can you break some of it up? What are your thoughts? You should always offer an opinion and or synopsis of the story in your OP....

Sorry for the critique, but it is really tough to read walls of text like that

However, Treasury figures published yesterday showed the cost of the welfare state in Scotland has reached £4,063 per head, almost £400 more than in England.

The report by Prof Bell, who acts as an official adviser to Holyrood’s finance committee, said the number of pensioners in Scotland was expected to increase by 80 per cent between 2010 and 2060.

Wow looks like they are in some trouble! Join the USA in the fun, so are we.....
edit on 2/19/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by tdk84

Man that wall of text is tough to read......Can you break some of it up? What are your thoughts? You should always offer an opinion and or synopsis of the story in your OP....

Sorry for the critique, but it is really tough to read walls of text like that

However, Treasury figures published yesterday showed the cost of the welfare state in Scotland has reached £4,063 per head, almost £400 more than in England.

The report by Prof Bell, who acts as an official adviser to Holyrood’s finance committee, said the number of pensioners in Scotland was expected to increase by 80 per cent between 2010 and 2060.

Wow looks like they are in some trouble! Join the USA in the fun, so are we.....
edit on 2/19/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

Sorry i'm at work, was in a rush. Its the reason I linked the article first so you can read it nicely. Will comment later.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I don't see a problem here, why should they raise taxes? Can't they just print more money?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think a lot of people who are pro independence are under the illusion oil will save them.

There just is no sustainability. I think the latest figures show 35%, for a YES at moment so i doubt it will happen.

to quote someone else on the matter.

OK - please explain how an independent Scotland will be able to pay off its share of the UK debt, support the public sector and its pension liability, maintain the level of benefits and grow the economy and maintain the current standard of living. And all this whilst trying to negotiate entry to EU and setting up all of the nations necessary infrastructure that is currently part of the UK. I don't think it is possible - otherwise I would expect the SNP would have brought this to our attention. I am deeply concerned about the lack of evidence in support of the YES vote from an economic perspective - in fact I'd go as far as saying 'every known fact on Independence points to a YES vote ' is a sound bite, with little empirical evidence to support it.

edit on 19-2-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join