It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama to Receive Israel's Presidential Medal of Distinction

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Washington Post, ABC, NY Times has it now as well.
No FOX or MSNBC.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

huh? unbelievable? Ah well, maybe this is just their way to pander to Obama for more military and financial support, I don't know. This probably won't make many religious and neo conservatives very happy.... but then again it won't may alot of liberals happy considering their many objections towards Israel (if Obama accepts the award).

I'd be interested to get info on how many American presidents have received this medal?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Sounds like a satire piece....

Got a link? (posted now)

Netanyahu can't stand the guy, this makes no sense.

Up is down, down is up, and all that.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

It is political theater and really, diplomacy at work here. I wouldn't twist this but I wonder what the back-room talks were like to lead to this public display of sudden friendship and honor. That is real story.

If I were to speculate it went something like this:

United States: We don't want to publicly back you going into Iran.
Israel: Well, we are going to do it if we need to.
US: Okay but our relations are on thin ice and if you do, you are going to need a friend in the world. How about you give a public proclamation of our friendship.
Israel: Fine but if you leave us out to dry we will unleash the dirt on you, your Mid-East dealings; Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc.

It is a game.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

None.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Israel must be getting desperate to get BHOs endorsement for their plan to attack Iran.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Actually I've been doing a little reading up. I'm sure it is theater, all politics is. But that isn't to say theater doesn't have objectives, sometimes good, sometimes bad... I suppose it's all perception.

Shimon Peres is President of Israel and by default his position on a shared Jerusalem puts him on 'the Left' in Israel and there is a palpable Left in Israel. AIPAC has spent billions of dollars spoiling the Right in the US and through them convincing us that there's only one position for Israel on Palestine and anyone who disagrees is anti-semetic. They never tell us that many Israeli's fight Netanyahu and the Zionists policies on Palestine.

My guess is our media is being told to ignore the story or leave it at a sound byte because to talk about who is giving the award and why gives us cause to think and wonder about this 'Left Israel'.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

distinction?...shouldn't that have been "Extinction".

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Can It Be More Obvious That They Don't Plan On Leaving The Palestinians Alone??
This Is So Stupid, First He Wins The Nobel Peace Prize, After We All Know Of His Drone Strikes In Yemen And Sudan.

And NOW THIS??!?!?!?
WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NOSHEEPS

Isn't it amazing how we can ignore current Genocide because we're too afraid to offend victims of a Genocide that are now currently waging the Genocide?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Speaking from past experience, when i lived in Ashkelon, there is in fact a large base of people in israel that are i guess "anti-zionist" or "anti-government". I can't really compare them to the left here in america because liberalism here promotes big government intervention and regulation. I would say they're closer to the libertarian party here in the US. More of a live and let live society, more specifically geared towards creating a palestinian state where they can live in sovereignty. The problem is hamas and hezbollah.

The palestinians that want peace want both of the groups gone, because they're stuck in the middle of all the chaos. Peaceful palestinians actually respect israel and don't want to see them eliminated. Just because hamas was in theory "elected" doesn't mean the majority supports them. I think we've seen that example right here at home. It's just like afghanistan or iraq. Most of those citizens that want peace from first hand experience are happy that the united states is fighting off the "extremists". The myth that everyone over there is sick of america being in their county is not true at all. Heck the young kids party around our guys and offer them food, the people respect them for all they've done.

The whole situation in israel is just the result of a power grab. You don't have to blow up a whole city block to take out a handful of terrorists. You might kill one or two but when you kill ten civilians in the process, you've not only failed your mission, but created additional animosity among people not hostile to you towards yourself. If they were smart, they would let them (the palestinians) have their own state and call it done. Use alternative methods to eliminate hamas and hezbollah that don't involve collateral damage and eventually i believe you can work your way towards a peaceful solution.

I'm only speaking from experience though. I feel it's time we pull the plug on support to them. Doing so would not be abandoning them as an ally, as they will still benefit through trade and such. They have for the most part an excellent military to defend their county. I don't think they'll need to worry any time soon. Honestly i'm not so much concerned with how they achieve peace, but with our aid to them. They need to clean their act up.
edit on 2/27/2013 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
So Israel is buying the Presidents loyalty with an award.

As long as the award is worth over $500,000.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join