It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama to Receive Israel's Presidential Medal of Distinction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Barack Obama will receive one of Israel's most prestigious honours during his upcoming visit to the Middle East. On Monday, the office of the Israeli president, Shimon Peres, announced that Obama will be given the presidential medal of distinction in March. A statement said that the honour recognised Obama's "unique and significant contribution to strengthening the State of Israel and the security of its citizens". Obama's political opponents have complained constantly that he has attempted to distance the US from its traditional support of Israel. In the lead up to the presidential election last year the Republican challenger, Mitt Romney, accused Obama of "repeated efforts" to "throw Israel under the bus". Obama's pick for defence secretary has also been criticised, due to comments allegedly made by Chuck Hagel regarding the power of the pro-Israeli lobby in Washington.

Guardian

Well so much for Obama being anti-Israel. I wonder what kind of conversations this will generate in the echo chamber. Will this be ignored or twisted?
edit on 18-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Sounds like a satire piece....

Got a link? (posted now)

Netanyahu can't stand the guy, this makes no sense.

Up is down, down is up, and all that.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yeah just fixed that, sorry.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Obama also won the Nobel Peace Prize.

I wouldn't put much stock in receiving an award.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Gotta be. Obama and Israel are not buddies.
Obama hasn't done anythign to earn any kind of medal from Israel.
And Netanyahoooooooo wouldn't go for anything like this ...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Obama also won the Nobel Peace Prize.

I wouldn't put much stock in receiving an award.
You got that right, Hopechest!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Three billion a year to Israel doesn't sound anti-Israel to me.

Peres and the committee behind the award noted Obama's overall friendship and backing of the Iron Dome missile defence system. Obama's visit to Israel will be his first as president.

From the source in my OP, that probably has a lot to do with it too. It's worth it to note that Shimon Peres is behind the award not Netanyahu.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The Obama Administration’s FY2013 request includes $3.1 billion in Foreign Military Financing for Israel and $15 million for refugee resettlement. Within the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Missile Defense Agency’s FY2013 budget request includes $99.8 million in joint U.S.- Israeli co-development for missile defense.

fas.org (pdf)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Obama and Israel are not buddies

Only according to those who would be friendlier

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Got a link? (posted now)

Netanyahu can't stand the guy, this makes no sense.

Up is down, down is up, and all that.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer......

That saying comes to mind.......Just because someone can't stand someone doesn't mean they won't put on a show for the comfort of the USA.....

Look to the left......While they are standing on the right....

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Obama doesn't provide the homoeroticism for Israel that previous Presidents did, so it looks like our relationship with Israel has faultered. The relationship is just as good, but simply lacking the "I'm gay for Israel" narrative.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Three billion a year to Israel doesn't sound anti-Israel to me.

Peres and the committee behind the award noted Obama's overall friendship and backing of the Iron Dome missile defence system. Obama's visit to Israel will be his first as president.

From the source in my OP, that probably has a lot to do with it too. It's worth it to note that Shimon Peres is behind the award not Netanyahu.

So he bought himself a medal with our money - my hero.

Obama doesn't unilaterally get to send money to Israel that is the Congress's function.

It's all just smoke a mirrors. Personally, I don't get how Obama enthralls people - perhaps it is supernatural?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

This isn't a fan thread so relax. But I can't help but find it funny that another Right Wing myth finds itself challenged by reality.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by Golf66

This isn't a fan thread so relax. But I can't help but find it funny that another Right Wing myth finds itself challenged by reality.

I apologize if it seemed that my comments were reflective on you or your thread personally.

They were simply about the POTUS. I did not take this as a fan-boy (or girl
) thread.

I simply find the cult of personality around this man really hard to explain is it just the perfect storm of charisma and race coupled with guilt? I find it scary at the same time fascinating.

I know it sounds trite but the last time the world had such a charismatic leader we ended up in WWII. It is frightening to see the parallels.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

The world is a joke. I thought the Nobel peace prize was the icing, but this is the freaking cherry.

I dont want to play anymore.....this is just dumb.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

His being the 1st African-American President was a testament to how far America had come, or at least it was to many Americans of all cultures I think that's about where his race factoring stops, however, he does also posses a very enigmatic personality. I don't personally like many things he has done (though some I do) as President but I don't allow that to cloud my perceptions... he's very smart, speaks very well and plays well to all sides. A lot of Conservatives can't see this though because of many misconceptions invented and drilled home 24/7 by the right wing media. Another misconception dispelled, which is enormously funny to me considering he doesn't have to do a damn thing anymore, he has just a hair under 4 years and can never be President again.

ETA: Ironically one of the things that I really dislike about Obama is his blind support for Israel while he completely ignores the plight of Palestine.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Looks like ignored is how it's going to be, at least until the media says what we're supposed to think about it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Funny how we send 3.1 billion to israel and then turn around and send half that to egypt. Right into the hands of a lunatic that hates israel and prays for its destruction.

In reality though 3 billion is nothing today. Figure that into the oh, almost 4 trillion a year we spend..

I wouldn't count on the media for much. Left and right, both full of lies. Anyone who picks a side is blind.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
constitution of the united states article 1 section 9 " no title of nobility shall be granted by the United states; and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of congress, accept any present , emolument, office, or title of any kind whatever, from any king , prince , or foreign state." but when is the last time they followed the constitution any ways?.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Quite the interesting award. I find it more interesting that after searching a couple of different engines that this story does not show in any domestic MSM outlet.... Not good for Obama's image??

Just saw that USA today picked it up... Oh well...Will they talk about it on MSNBC?
edit on 19-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join