It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Complain About School Ad Excluding Whites From Tutoring Program

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

...the principal made a mistake...

Yes, and the mistake is what everyone is so upset about. How do you not get that?

The fact that they apologized and said it was a mistake doesn't change the fact that they created a program meant only for certain kids based solely on skin color. Doing the right thing now is great but the anger is at not doing the right thing from the beginning.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Is this what MLK was fighting for? I doubt it. But it's inevitable. All history repeats itself. It may not be exactly the same, but it repeats itself. Last time, it was blacks. Now? It's whites. In another hundred or so years when we're a "modern society" (because hey, in the future we'll be looked upon barbarians) it'll be blacks again. Or maybe Asians? And it'll repeat itself, at least the core will. Whereas the who and what may have changed.

How anyone can call us modern or civilized is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

It's illegal.

They really cannot discriminate on the basis of sex, color, nationality, religion, or disability. So, this is simply illegal. Dumb, too.

Tutor kids who need it. Period.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Someone at that school should start a program for white kids only... and see how far that gets them.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Someone at that school should start a program for white kids only... and see how far that gets them.

If they did. They would have to walk their kids through the picket lines, and Jessie Jackson with a bullhorn, in order to get them into the class room....

Des

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The articles said it was started by parents, not the school. Regardless of whether the principal misunderstood or not, the bottom line is that exclusion will not be allowed. But resources are finite. If this group of parents wanted to specifically focus on c.o.c., it defeats the purpose if the class fills with whites and c.o.c.s can't get a slot.

If they wanted to make it exclusive they should not have involved the school in promoting it. They should have kept it priivate on the side.

I find it encouraging that the concept of race-based discrimination is so instantly deemed unacceptable by so many. Might still be some hope for us.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Yes, and the mistake is what everyone is so upset about. How do you not get that?

The fact that they apologized and said it was a mistake doesn't change the fact that they created a program meant only for certain kids based solely on skin color. Doing the right thing now is great but the anger is at not doing the right thing from the beginning.

The anger is misplaced in my opinion. This program was not set up to be exclusionary in the way you and others angry seem to be viewing it. Its not a case where they set up the tutoring program and said "Oh by the way lets make it so white people can't use it, we don't like them, we don't want them to have access to tutoring." The program was set up to address a specific problem, it was supposed to be an intervention to address the achievement gap facing students of color. Interventions usually are very specific which is why they are successful.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Segregation is segregation and discrimination is discrimination, +ve to some and -ve to others... "Positive Discrimination" is as racist as apartheid/segregation ever was and has done much long term damage to race relations - best forget it and stick to EQUAL RIGHTS for all but hardened criminals and the severely mentally retarded who should have voting rights, gun ownership and other rights removed for sensible reasons...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Bet you dimes on a dollar, if the white parents tried to start an after school program, for white kids only...all hell would break loose....

Des

^^^ this is what the parents should do, except they should make a point of not excluding ANY kids who need extra help - and open it right next door to the racist one.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You are being paid by Obama to post this, and I don't believe that you are white.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

If they did. They would have to walk their kids through the picket lines, and Jessie Jackson with a bullhorn, in order to get them into the class room....

Des

Exactly

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by winofiend

You are being paid by Obama to post this, and I don't believe that you are white.

I guess two wrongs make a right in his/her eyes. Individuals like that is a big part of why race relations will not get better any time soon.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The public school system just gets better and better each day...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

If it were black students this would be all over MSM.

Now it will barely be a blip and we'll move on.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by smyleegrl

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this butI stongly believe that the problem is mostly genetic. It seems as though just about every Country has this gap. Unfortunately it's not PC to even hint about that probability.
Note i say mostly.

Here is something recent to back up my beliefs. professional.wsj.com...

In order to fix a problem we must get to the root of it, PC or not.

Marinate on that PC crowd.
edit on 18-2-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join