Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Parents Complain About School Ad Excluding Whites From Tutoring Program

page: 1
22
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – A school principal said no white children were allowed at an after-school tutoring program, and now some parents call it discrimination.The principal at Mission Viejo Elementary in Aurora sent a letter telling parents the program is only for students of color. Parents CBS4 talked with said they were shocked to see, in this day and age, what they consider to be segregation.“I was infuriated. I didn’t understand why they would include or exclude certain groups,” said parent Nicole Cox, who is white.SHARECox’s 10-year-old daughter needs tutoring. After receiving the notice, other parents complained to the school’s principal, Andre Pearson.“We have come so far in all of these years to show everybody that everyone is equal, that everyone should be treated equally … this is a form of bullying,” Cox said.Before Cox could complain to the school, Pearson contacted her directly. His voicemail only seemed to reinforce the segregated tutoring idea.“This is Andre Pearson. It’s focused for and designed for children of color, but certainly, if we have space for other kids who have needs, we can definitely meet those needs,” Pearson told Cox in the voicemail.


Now I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but doesnt this seem like racial discrimination?

Either we are all equal or we arent, either racial discrimination is wrong or its not. It cant work both ways, it cant only be wrong when white people do it. It is wrong when everyone does it, or it is ok for everyone. Not just ok if your black, or white, or asian, or latin american etc....

Why do I keep seeing these situations in the news? " blacks only" is just as racist as whites only, blacks a rent special they dont get special perks over everyone else just because they were born with more skin pigment than the rest of us.




posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – A school principal said no white children were allowed at an after-school tutoring program, and now some parents call it discrimination.The principal at Mission Viejo Elementary in Aurora sent a letter telling parents the program is only for students of color. Parents CBS4 talked with said they were shocked to see, in this day and age, what they consider to be segregation.“I was infuriated. I didn’t understand why they would include or exclude certain groups,” said parent Nicole Cox, who is white.SHARECox’s 10-year-old daughter needs tutoring. After receiving the notice, other parents complained to the school’s principal, Andre Pearson.“We have come so far in all of these years to show everybody that everyone is equal, that everyone should be treated equally … this is a form of bullying,” Cox said.Before Cox could complain to the school, Pearson contacted her directly. His voicemail only seemed to reinforce the segregated tutoring idea.“This is Andre Pearson. It’s focused for and designed for children of color, but certainly, if we have space for other kids who have needs, we can definitely meet those needs,” Pearson told Cox in the voicemail.


Now I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but doesnt this seem like racial discrimination?

Either we are all equal or we arent, either racial discrimination is wrong or its not. It cant work both ways, it cant only be wrong when white people do it. It is wrong when everyone does it, or it is ok for everyone. Not just ok if your black, or white, or asian, or latin american etc....

Why do I keep seeing these situations in the news? " blacks only" is just as racist as whites only, blacks a rent special they dont get special perks over everyone else just because they were born with more skin pigment than the rest of us.


You mentioned blacks, you are racist. and you mentioned whites should be involved, you are racist (based on todays views, you are not racist in my opinion, but the hypocrisy runs THICK in this country, it is opposite what it was in the 60's now.)


+13 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Now I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but doesnt this seem like racial discrimination?


Oh didnt you get the memo? Its impossible to discriminate against whites, and if you disagree, youre a racist.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional
 


this is what happens when hippies run the show, America is going down hill and picking up speed. We should be judged by are merit and character, not skin color. i almost want my kids out of the public school system. even though i think that public school is a good way to build social skills, when i see stuff like this it makes me think otherwise
edit on 14-2-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)


+14 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional
 


Bet you dimes on a dollar, if the white parents tried to start an after school program, for white kids only...all hell would break loose....


Des



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
That will never stand, if the program is being held on school property or funded in anyway by the school then they can`t discriminate against anybody.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Why shouldn't they complain? If this had been the other way around (tutoring "focused for and designed for" children who are not "of color") the lawyers, ACLU and activists would have raised all manner of hellish complaints, threatened lawsuits and probably egged the principals home and car. We really need to stop focusing on race and start focusing on educating our kids.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ahh but don't you see.

White people had it good for centuries. We raped and pillaged and plundered, stole people and used them as cattle. We owned the world.

So you see, we built a superior playing field. We live on top WhiteMan Mountain and we sneer down on all who appear underneath us.

So, to give black people separate levels of education, employment prospects, legal representation, scholarships, comedy channels, pride marches, political groups, et al, is only levelling out the playing field.

It's giving them a chance in this white mans domination.

It's only fair that the poor and outcast and impoverished white people are already far far superior in almost every avenue, that they can rot in the gutter, ignored and left to fend for themselves.

We have to make amends to the poor people of colour that we've ruined over the course of history.

No black people can ever hope to achieve anything in this white mans world, unless they're given it separately.

Right?

*crickets chirping*

Well, shut up then you racists...

/sarcasm



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Why does it seem to be that the prevailing opinion is "children of color" need more assistance to be successful at school? Perhaps the people making the stupid exclusion policies like this should think about that a bit. Are they insinuating that white children are being prepared for school better as a whole? The other side of that would be that non-white children are NOT being prepared for school?
Imagine the rhetoric that would flow should that be discussed openly. Yikes.
I think the school systems would be better served tutoring parents on how to raise a successful student.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Seems to me that that this whole situation is the cause of some sub-conscious guilt trip. Lately these past months I've read about the news reports here on ATS about american schools acting out in various paranoid type behaviour concerning decsion making in regard to its pupils. This is just another type of its example, born out of the fear of bad karma.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This guy needs to be clued in that race doesn't actually exist, since we are all human
.

What a bunch of crap.

If you need to be convinced that this is racial discrimination and that the people involved are 'racist', well then you might want to re-evaluate your critical thinking skills.

~Tenth



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
What a ridiculous notion, separating children based on skin color. Ideas like that should not exist in this day and age. If kids need help with their school work, then they need help. No other variables should enter the minds of the adults in charge.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I am a person of color..my color is a off white (light tan).
I don't know of anyone who is white...white is pretty bright..I think maybe casper the friendly ghost may be white..hard to say..

People of color. They need to hold up paint swatches to show where the dividing line is between what is and isn't considered a person of color...
I mean, you can say will smith is a black man, but compared to Herman Cain, he is nearly white.
Is Snooki considered "a woman of color"? Certainly she has a lot of color to her (burnt orange American?)

Anyhow. is it racist? yep.
Treat it as such.
I recommend something open up right next door to this that states "Helping the children of no color"..aka, "whites" only.
Then if/when they come freaking out..point next door.

I didn't do a single thing to surpress anyone. Nor my parents (my grandparents..maybe...but not very much). I am not responsible for historical injustices..else I would be moaning that the Italians (ancient romans) somehow effected my family.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
This guy needs to be clued in that race doesn't actually exist, since we are all human
.


I am not sure
You ever seen pictures of Pigmies? Pretty sure they are hobbits.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Nobody is stopping them from going back to Africa. I mean that in the friendliest possible way.

My grandfather worked in the mines for pennies a day. How is that better than picking cotton outside? It puts that whole pyramid-building project in perspective.
edit on 14-2-2013 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
Why does it seem to be that the prevailing opinion is "children of color" need more assistance to be successful at school? Perhaps the people making the stupid exclusion policies like this should think about that a bit. Are they insinuating that white children are being prepared for school better as a whole? The other side of that would be that non-white children are NOT being prepared for school?
Imagine the rhetoric that would flow should that be discussed openly. Yikes.
I think the school systems would be better served tutoring parents on how to raise a successful student.


You are exactly right. Lot's of parents either simply don't care or they haven't the time nowadays. Either way, I think someone needs to speak up, someone should be reprimanded and someone(s) need sued.
smh
I'll refrain from further comments.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX
 


You're absolutely right but nowadays it's not PC to acknowledge that fact.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by inverslyproportional
 


Bet you dimes on a dollar, if the white parents tried to start an after school program, for white kids only...all hell would break loose....


Des


Oh, you can bet Rev. jesse jackasson an big mouth al sharpton would be marching within a half hour of that.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hurts dont it hahaha!!
Im only kidding though
.

Until we all learn that there is no such thing as race, it will always be an issue.

My question is, whats really going on at this school?

It just seems to me like this colored only tutoring has some hidden motives. I dont believe this idea came out of the blue.

We need more info.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Come on guys. In order to redistribute the wealth we first have to redistribute the opportunity. Shut up and take it like big kids.






top topics



 
22
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join