It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carnival Triumph cruise ship situation is worse than what is being reported.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

My question about this is why haven't the passengers been taken off the ship and taken to shore? Sure some of the staff would have to stay on board to get her into port, but the conditions would be more tolerable the less people on board.

Ships have been bringing supplies - why not take people - especially the very old and very young off?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I heard on CNN, the reason they could not transfer the people to another ship was because of the high sea's. I also saw a picture earlier today of a helicopter trying to deliver a generator. The article stated that helped with getting some hot food.
I was on a cruise years ago. Sounds like this would have been a very scary situation.

I also read the boat started to liste to one side. Very scary. If I can find the article I will post it.

edit on 14-2-2013 by crappiekat because: sp

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Betcha there's not one drop of alcohol left on that ship.

That being said, I am glad they are finally at Mobile.
edit on 14-2-2013 by berkeleygal because: mispellingssss

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

My question about this is why haven't the passengers been taken off the ship and taken to shore? Sure some of the staff would have to stay on board to get her into port, but the conditions would be more tolerable the less people on board.

Ships have been bringing supplies - why not take people - especially the very old and very young off?

Yep, I was wonderinging why they didn't use the lifeboats to evacuate the ship.

Could it be that there were not enough? Titanic anyone?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My wife and I actually took a cruise on this ship a couple years ago.. We went to Jamaica ,The Caymen Islands and Cozumel Mexico..

I had a great time on the cruise,even won 2,800 bucks on a slot machine on our last day at sea..

I really hope Carnival takes care of these people...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Tardacus

One of the worst parts is that they closed the bars as soon as it happened.

5 days at sea with a bunch of angry party animals and the bar is closed!!!

The only thing Carnival has offered these people is a refund for this trip and 50% off the NEXT TRIP!

Really?? Next trip??

edit on 14-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Actually they were handing out free alcohol. A spokesperson from the company was saying how concerned he was getting with the ammount of alcohol people were drinking; not to mention the stupid things they were doing while drunk.

To be hoenst, I'd be donwing a bottle of Vodka daily if it were me on that ship!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
They couldn't take everyone off the ship because it would have been too dangerous. While I feel bad for these people, I would rather be on a broken down cruise ship in the the ocean than on a broken down airplane in the sky. I have been on 2 cruises and they were my favorite vacations. You get on the boat- instant vacation. It is a really good deal for the money. For around $100 a day, it includes lodging, restaurant dining for every meal, and entertainment. Things could go wrong with any vacation. #&%! happens. I would cruise again in a heartbeat, even on Carnival. I hope all the sheeple stay away so I can score a cheap vacation. I just spent 5 days in freezing weather with no heat or electricity from the blizzard, and I'm not getting any money or a free vacation from Mother Nature.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
They couldn't take everyone off the ship because it would have been too dangerous. While I feel bad for these people, I would rather be on a broken down cruise ship in the the ocean than on a broken down airplane in the sky. I have been on 2 cruises and they were my favorite vacations. You get on the boat- instant vacation. It is a really good deal for the money. For around $100 a day, it includes lodging, restaurant dining for every meal, and entertainment. Things could go wrong with any vacation. #&%! happens. I would cruise again in a heartbeat, even on Carnival. I hope all the sheeple stay away so I can score a cheap vacation. I just spent 5 days in freezing weather with no heat or electricity from the blizzard, and I'm not getting any money or a free vacation from Mother Nature.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

Exactly, how can they begin to reimburse people for the week of wasted vacation time and the misery they endured?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It's shocking that the cruise line was not in any way prepared for this. Did they not ever think this could happen? Granted the ship is not sinking, but I think when going over your safety protocols you would have plans for stuff like this. Maybe they just don't care? I would hope that they will learn from this so it doesn't happen again. Have a plan in place to deal with this! Seems kinda like they were just flying by the seat of their pants.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I also know an elderly couple who bowl with my ex husband who were onboard the ship. We will be hearing directly from them very soon. What a fiasco! Now carnival is not only lying but offering only 500.00 in compensation to the passengers, I say sue their ever livin pants off for this!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
With sewage backing up someone is going to get hepatitis from it. I have lived in third world countries but I have never been locked in a tin can with sewage. Can you imagine the poor people who saved up for this? For those who are going boo hoo I bet you don’t have a clue.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Its disgusting how these poor people suffered.
Being trapped is one of the worst feelings one can have and in particular the terrible conditions of raw sewage and defacating in bags and cans. Starving, not sleeping comfortably, being cold, exposed to God knows what bacteria or virus'.

The compensation offered isn't enough in my opinion. They went on a vacation for relaxation but instead spent it working, having to clean up and put up with all the inconveniences.

Apparently the passengers were being asked to sign waivers not to talk to the press after disembarking. I suppose if that refused they didn't get the $500 cash reward.

There's just too many bad stories with these cruises. I have no desire to go on one.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

According to CNN, when you purchase the tickets for the cruise you're signing away your right to ever sue them.

Interested in finding out what you find out from your friends

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
I don't know what to think because I never ever believe the MSM........that said I do have a question for any sea fairing folks here who will certainly know more than this land lubber.

I realize this is a passenger ship and it is huge, so my thoughts are why cannot these ships have a very large generator to run the kitchens and toilets and some other essentials when they have hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel of board?

I know I am reaching but I am thinking of a couple of large sized Cat engines in the hull converted to run off of the ships fuel would be a nice touch.

Regards, Iwinder

In reading several different articles, it does say they are running the back up generator, lights in the main dining areas and the public area restrooms are still functional (23 of them) but 23 restrooms for 4000 people is not what I call good odds.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm disgusted Carnival asked people sleeping on decks, in what was compared to tent city at the Alamodome during Katrina, to remove it all when the news helicopters started flying above. They didn't want the images getting out to the media.
They also asked that no one stop for the media waiting outside as they disembark.
Passengers said smoke filled the hallways and started coming out pipes in the rooms.
I saw this on CNN from interviews they did with people that broke the "rules".

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Yep, I was wonderinging why they didn't use the lifeboats to evacuate the ship.

Could it be that there were not enough? Titanic anyone?

So instead of 4000 people safely aboard a broke down ship...you would rather see 4000 people in life rafts? Lets see, 150-200 miles from land with winds at 25 knots and 4-5 foot seas would you choose a life packed life raft or stinky but disabled and still floating a secure ship?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CINY8
I believe that the conditions are way worse than they have been reporting. It is a terrible situation for those people.

What I don't understand is why they couldn't transfer all those people over to another ship while it was still out at sea. I know that there were thousands of people but for the amount of time they were stranded at sea they could have somehow slowly moved them to a working ship. As a potential passenger on a cruise ship I would want to know for my own safety that it would be possible to escape a situation like this.

I also don't understand why the people on there are having to eat what is available on the ship. One lady was quoted on the news as saying they were eating cucumber and onion sandwiches but she chose to eat whatever bagged chips were there so she didn't get ill like some other people were. I wonder why can't they bring fresh food onto the ship from another ship or helicopter?

I for one have never and would never take a vacation on a cruise ship and this horrible situation just adds to my list of why I wouldn't. I can't even imagine how disgusting those conditions must be.

Hey, I can weigh in on this. A cruise ship that has no power, no engine usage would be extremely dangerous to approach with even a vessel of equal size. The rescue ship would likely be smaller than the cruise liner, and bringing a smaller ship close enough to the liner to bring stranded patrons on board puts the rescue vessel, as well as those on board in danger. With out any power the cruise liner could slam into the smaller ship, damaging or sinking both vessels. It would be more likely the smaller vessel would be sunk, and the larger vessel further crippled, with a potential for it sinking due to damage. Not to mention, if people were in the process of boarding the rescue ship, and either vessel shifted, passengers could end up in the water between the vessels, putting them at risk of drowning or being crushed.

As well, there is the issue every passenger will want off first, depending on how long they have been there this could create a panic, or fighting amongst passengers. A smaller rescue ship would likely only be able to take smaller numbers of passengers at a time. Would you want to be last? I understand it sounds easy for us, and could go just fine, but it could also put passengers and crew at risk. The biggest issue is the cruise liner not having Engine power.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I'm surprised at the lack of sympathy here. Sure some countries have it worse, but personally I'd rather poop in/on a bush or out house rather than be trapped near it like they are. I bet the smell of fecal matter mixed with smoke is enough to make an animal out of anyone. Come on, someones died (allegedly). I'm sure most of those people worked hard and saved all year to go on a "relaxing vacation" (in a way, I bet they end up appreciating whatever home life they needed a vacation from more than before)
I bet most of the people criticizing (some almost to the point of insinuating people asked for this) are the first to flip their lid when a waiter/waitress or store clerk has an attitude or provides less then great service. I know if I'm paying someone to put me at sea, I'd like to be assured I won't be stranded in horrid conditions.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It sounds like a great adventure they are experiencing..... I'd like to see how they would fair going 56 days in mountainous jungle without a chance to bath or a change of clothing, going numerous days at a time without food or enough water and being constantly under fire from enemy artillery and small arms... They are fortunate to have it as good as they do.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join