Carnival Triumph cruise ship situation is worse than what is being reported.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britster1821
Some of you are so heartless...
It's bad enough not having proper facilities, but there are reports of food poisoning in some cases. How awful! Can you imagine the stench of that ship?
It's not first world problems, it's not whining...If you were in similar conditions, you'd want out too.
How about the ones that are being jerks, why don't you guys go live in your own filth for a week (if you're not already doing so), then report back to us on how awesome it is. While you're at it, disconnect your internet, and your electricity.

Heartless???
Sweetheart lemme educate you.
I am a retired plumber, my Wife and I raised 6 kids on that.
I have waded in a river of #e to feed and cloth my kids and did it well.
I didn't live in my own filth for a week, I lived in everyones filth for a career!
Now, straighten your tiara, wipe your shoe and get up on deck!
Boo hoo, I got poo on my shoe...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

It's bad enough not having proper facilities, but there are reports of food poisoning in some cases. How awful! Can you imagine the stench of that ship?
It's not first world problems, it's not whining...If you were in similar conditions, you'd want out too.
How about the ones that are being jerks, why don't you guys go live in your own filth for a week (if you're not already doing so), then report back to us on how awesome it is. While you're at it, disconnect your internet, and your electricity.

Heartless???
I didn't live in my own filth for a week, I lived in everyones filth for a career!

You did sign up for that though. I respect that profession I really do, but you got paid (hopefully well) whereas they paid to go on the trip, never the wiser they would be wading around in that.
ETA: I bet the buildings you were working in usually weren't on fire either.
edit on 15-2-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn

Heartless???

You did sign up for that though. I respect that profession I really do, but you got paid (hopefully well) whereas they paid to go on the trip, never the wiser they would be wading around in that.

This is true but, on fire or in a flooded parking structure basement is just about an even deal, especially when you have no blueprints of where the manhole is.
If the obstruction clears suddenly and you are close, well let's just use the word vacuum.

I will also add that the closest thing I have had to a vacation in 30 years was going to Texas to watch my son graduate from Lackland AFB for a week about a year back, I have been retired for almost 3 years now.

Life gets in the way and some folks vacation gets screwed up, some of us only know how to say and spell the word.
Star to you though for respecting the crap I put up with.
edit on 15-2-2013 by g146541 because: props

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn

Heartless???

This is true but, on fire or in a flooded parking structure basement is just about an even deal, especially when you have no blueprints of where the manhole is.
If the obstruction clears suddenly and you are close, well let's just use the word vacuum.

I will also add that the closest thing I have had to a vacation in 30 years was going to Texas to watch my son graduate from Lackland AFB for a week about a year back, I have been retired for almost 3 years now.

Life gets in the way and some folks vacation gets screwed up, some of us only know how to say and spell the word.
Star to you though for respecting the crap I put up with.
edit on 15-2-2013 by g146541 because: props

Your right, bad stuff happens all the time and people get trapped in deplorable conditions or bum situations. I just can't imagine paying (probably way to much to begin with) then ending up trapped with it for more than a couple hours. It doesn't sound like there was a good plan in place to deal with this, which is something I would (stupidly) assume they were capable of taking care of, well at least taking action to evacuate somehow. OK, so it's not close to the worst of human injustice, but anyone would expect better. I'll admit it is a "first world problem", but anyone would be steaming after living in animal conditions, and I'd want people to know my version of what it was like too instead of the media version being controlled by the company who directed the cruise from hell. A refund is automatically obvious, but the sick and injured probably deserve more than $500.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
One question that was asked was regarding the regulations governing the vessel, that depends upon class, ABS, BV, DNV, GL, LR and RINA and flag. Which would you prefer, a Bahama's Lloyd's 100 A1+, SOLAS, RINA and MCA compliant or a Panama rust bucket? Cruise Lines will go as cheap as possible while complying with SOLAS and MCA. I can't blame them, this business is expensive to operate and maintain standards. That being said, my heart goes out to the clients as they paid and expected to have a wonderful cruise but instead received an unwanted adventure.

The average poster in this thread has no clue what is involved and are quick to jump on the "let's bash the cruise line" band wagon. Recommending others to sue the pants off the cruise line without the facts does everyone a disservice and does not address the issue.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Agreed.
However, the bad press this cruise lines is getting on this should deter any from using them again.
Those who forget are sheep and deserve no less than what they get.
I seem to remember this happening to another ship fairly recently.
I'm just jaded I guess, my idea of a good time is a mountain, some guns, good friends and some booze.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

The average poster in this thread has no clue what is involved and are quick to jump on the "let's bash the cruise line" band wagon

Ummm, bad argument there Cap'n.
If my business was bleeding cash, I would simply close my doors or find out how to stop the hemorrhage.
Somebody will fill the vacuum just fine, maybe don't make yer boats soooo big would be my guess.
Big boat, big gamble.
It's not like the cruise lines are paying 90 percent of the crew anything at all now.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I'd definitely have much less sympathy if the same company had a repeat situation, since they're known for it now. Didn't hear about the other ship, but if it's something that happens there should be regulations on maintaining that kind of thing. Freak accidents do happen, but if it's something that can and has happened a few times, then I think something preventative should be done.
And I'm with you on your idea of a vacation. The idea is to get away from idiot masses, not hole up in close quarters with them.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I have never been on a cruise, dont want to go on a cruise,
never wanted to go on a cruise and never going on one either.

I would rather face grizzly bears and cougars camping....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
First, modern ships are not like the Titanic and ships of old. They are not powered by props, main shafts and engine rooms like you are thinking of. These ships use Azimuth Thrusters for main propulsion and bow thrusters for port maneuvering and the like. The main generators power DC motor which turns a shaft on a thruster unit. Most thrusters have 360 degree movement, and my guess is the ship had about four of these not including what ever bow thrusters it had in place...may even had tunnel thrusters. As for a fire and my experiences working on and in the thrusters/generators...if the siren goes off for a fire you have to run out of the compartment before the fire extinguisher system comes on and before the water & fire doors close otherwise you are dead. It is certainly possible to lose all power to the propulsion along with other critical systems and still have others up and operational. It is not plusable to just go connect one system to another. As for moving passengers from one ship to another. it is dangerous even with both ships operating. I have had the displeasure of going down a gangway at a 45 degree angle...so no that would have also been a poor idea. Putting the lifeboats out would have a true last resort measure.

Thruster

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Who wrote they would rather fight a cougar then be on a cruise ship?

www.youtube.com... Careful what you wish for...

We take that stuff seriously up here in the Mountains.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Problem with the refunds and the 500 if it is like an airline voucher once you accept it you release the company from any liability and have no recourse because you said that this is fine and I will take it and be happy.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
It sounds like a great adventure they are experiencing..... I'd like to see how they would fair going 56 days in mountainous jungle without a chance to bath or a change of clothing, going numerous days at a time without food or enough water and being constantly under fire from enemy artillery and small arms... They are fortunate to have it as good as they do.

Yep, "1st world problem" to me. Not only would that be an adventure to talk about later on, they also get all their money refunded and a free cruise thrown in. Of course, we all know that MANY of them will sue the cruise line as well because of the "horrible, horrible" fact they needed to poop in bags for a few days. The horror!

I don't think that anyone was "threatened" for their life or health in any serious way, aside from having to endure some more or less bad inconveniences.

Heck, the ship broke down and then got towed into the next harbor which took a few days because of the speed of the towing boats.

Its actually embarrassing to see this is major news on CNN. As said, "1st world problems".
edit on 15-2-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Ha ha bring it.

You can shoot at cougars and bears, its hard to shoot a leaking urine
dripping out all over. Blech.....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

I meant to take to the lifeboats only when a ship was close enough to shuttle them aboard. There had to be other traffic in the area.

It seems to me that even Carnival could have handled it in-house and sent one of their own ships.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Refund+500$+nondisclosure agreement = slight dip in stock prices

During WWII my Grandfather rode a boat from NY to be one of the 1st Bomb groups landing in Europe. During their trip refridgeration and plumbing failed. It was wartime so they had to stay below deck and blacked out at night. They were served pretty much only spoiled chicken the whole trip and then got to go to war! I can't imagine! Sick, below deck, backed up plumbing, and your only relief means bullets zingging past or through you! It is no wonder I watched my 80 something year old Grandpa dump his Christmas dinner plate on the floor when Grannie forgot and accidently put Chicken on his plate. Some 60 years later he still held onto the memories. I do not envy the people on that boat.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'd hate to be the one to have to clean that ship...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
CNN interviewed a couple earlier who said in 2010 they took a cruise on Carnival and almost the exact same thing happened, right down to the Carnival CEO boarding and apologizing.

So, it would seem this is S.O.P. for Carnival.

Everything else in the world that profit-greedy companies provide is of a poorer quality than it used to be...from cars to cookies...why should cruises be exempt? They don't care about us....
edit on 2/15/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The answer to this problem is the same as the answer to the TSA body scanner/airport nonsense: DO NOT FLY or go on those ships. How freaking hard is that? I mean, the airports are full to overflowing with people going on sensless trips. I know, I know....it's their choice. Yep, it is, and with that choice comes intrusive, abusive "security" procedures. But the thing is, by those people accepting that stuff it becomes the norm, and then people want to foist it onto others at other places, ferry terminals, bus stations, malls, workplaces and in the end, everywhere. Our choices do not accrue to us alone. We are in this together, and the things we do affect everyone else. Because you cannot see it does not make it gone.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by toolstarr

I also know an elderly couple who bowl with my ex husband who were onboard the ship. We will be hearing directly from them very soon. What a fiasco! Now carnival is not only lying but offering only 500.00 in compensation to the passengers, I say sue their ever livin pants off for this!

Every single passenger should get a full refund and then some! It is really difficult to accept that after this horrible fiasco that they are only getting $500.00. I would be surprised if people don't sue them.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join