It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carnival Triumph cruise ship situation is worse than what is being reported.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Geeez some people in this thread, (you)

It just really irks me when rich people complain about conditions which some people in the world could never even dream of attaining. Some will never even see the ocean, let alone go on a cruise ship - power or no power.

Just be happy with what you got.

edit on 15/2/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

So if you go out to dinner and order a steak and they bring you a can of Spam instead, are just going to eat it without saying anything?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Geeez some people in this thread, (you)

It just really irks me when rich people complain about conditions which some people in the world could never even dream of attaining. Some will never even see the ocean, let alone go on a cruise ship - power or no power.

Just be happy with what you got.

So if you go out to dinner and order a steak and they bring you a can of Spam instead, are just going to eat it without saying anything?

I won't complain loudly to the world through the media so all the poor people have to hear it, no.

I'll quietly take my refund and be happy I even have food.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Don't they have backup generators on those ships separate from the engine rooms to supply power? We did on our ship. We had a couple diesel generators that were the size of a train engine. Might cut into the profits and bonuses for the top dogs.
reply to post by jacobe001

Good post and much appreciated from a sailor as yourself.......your above statement is what I keep asking and asking.

These cruise ships are worth more money than most of us can imagine and I figure they make more money than most of will ever dream of.

Now who is going to book a cruise on one of these liners after all this healthy press?

A couple of heavy generators and all would have been quite......or at least much quieter than it is now.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Oh yeah I bet you would. Actually, I bet you would be bitching just like these people are. I know it cause most people would be upset if their vacation was ruined and turned into a nightmare. And where do you get that these people are all rich? Most of them saved for years just so they could take their families on a nice trip (even though I would never step foot on one of those floating turds myself). Way too many options for an idiot to screw it up for everyone. Not to mention all the rapes that happen and nobody is ever charged cause they occur on international waters. = Lawlessness.

Anyway though, You don't have to be rich to go on a cruise. Course, there are many different opinions on what rich really is. Yeah, I agree that these people do not understand the daily hell that other unfortunate folks on planet Earth have to endure every single day of their life, I get that, but don't pretend you would not be upset if your vacation was ruined because that is nothing but a load of bs.

With that being said, I could care less about how upset any of these people are. Why? Because of exactly what you said. However, I am not hypocritical enough to claim that if it were me who's vacation was ruined, that I would not be pissed off about it. Oh, and they really would have pissed me off when they immediately after the fire closed all the bars down for good. Now that's cruel while on vacation! LMAO! Yet again, I understand why they did close them. See what I mean?
~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i've read reports in the last few days (that i'm trying to find) saying theyve been throwing things overboard. media suggests that its spoiled food, but from what i could tell the items were wrapped up in sheets and i dont know why you would need to wrap up spoiled food before throwing it over.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I wonder if they'll all come back with the plague or something. People will have to be put in quarantine.

Someone's going to make a movie about this. Give hollywood about a year and a half. First weekend will sell out.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Cruises arent for everyone, but they can be fun. I was on a cruise through the Panama Canal that was fascinating.
And then again in the Mediterranean. While this screwup certainly qualifies as a "1st World Problem" it is totally unacceptable. On the pecking-order of cruise lines Carnival is at the bottom. It full of Spring Breaker's on a budget and HillBilly's. Trust Carnival to take advantage of these people's lower access to elite legal representation.

If you are going to take a cruise go with one of the best, and forget this floating-#-show of a company.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There has got to be a way of criminal charges for Carnival. Everytime you hear of some type of cruise nightmare it has the name Carnival. Yet it just continues again and again. They must be really floating the dough to the politicans, because some of these Carnival idiots should be in jail.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

No, but being raised as an actual human being and not entitled a-hole I'm also not going to riot, loot, and act like a fool because the chocolate fountain and filet mignons are not available and act as if I just experienced the holocaust. But keep your analogies up, at some point you may make a logical connection.
edit on 15/2/13 by DangerMcBacon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
I have no knowledge of the salt water habitat so if you can could you please enlighten us all here on the breed of fish that eat through these electrical cables?

Well, there are electric eels, Peters' elephantnose fish (Gnathonemus petersi) and the black ghost knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons etc etc. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by headorheart
I feel bad for those people.

But here is my thing..Why is the media lying about this? These people aren't going to die. They are going to come back to land and run their mouths. I don't blame them. I'd be more mad at the media for belittling to situation I was in than Carnival for letting it happen. Plus Carnival is giving full refunds plus $500.

Star for the thought. Worse, if the Line is showing a trend of cruises
occasionally going south without publicly noticed corrective action, ugh.
I do sincerely wonder by now how all those moving parts with a documentable
failure history don't yet compel Carnival to carry a spare on board. Fellas,
just a couple more storage rooms instead of staterooms... please?
I could be way off base, but was this drift from catastrophic power failure
again?
EDIT: And I was answered by an able seaman that it was indeed a central
power failure ..AGAIN. Primary goes, everything blows. What a ride.
edit on 15-2-2013 by derfreebie because: Premature post, my apologies for getting the root cause later.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
reply to post by Iwinder

Don't be silly, a diesel generator on a ship is never going to work.

Modern ships are hard wired to the shore and plugged into mains electric.

Sometimes the cable gets snagged on things under the water like rocks or sunk ships, and the cable snaps cutting off power. It's even been known for some fish and other sea creatures to chew though the cables, a bit like how rats do that in buildings and this can problems too.

It would be nice if onboard generators could be installed but it just not technically possible, something to do with sea water I think but I'm not exactly sure why.

Please tell me that was meant as a joke, as if it wasn't then It is the biggest load of twaddle I have ever heard. Small boats may connect to shore power when they are alongside but a ship doesn't. The idea that they drag a power cable several thousand miles behind them is utterly ridiculous.

As for some of the other bits on the thread: A cruise ship like that would have a number of very large generators. Power doesn't sound like it was really a problem, only the waste system. Ship plumbing isn't the same as a normal land based toilet. They are a vacuum based system with the waste being drawn down to a waste treatment facility in the engine room. Mechanical and biological processes are used to treat the effluence before it is periodically discharged into the sea. If they have sustained damage due to the fire it is no surprise the system is knackered. It is either unable to create a proper vacuum or is unable to discharge (and therefore overfilling and backing up).

If the crew knew about this they should have shut off the bathrooms completely and ordered people to make toilet over the side. They are far enough offshore to not run afoul of MARPOL regs (which allow for emergency situations anyway).

People saying why not abandon to lifeboats? Absolutely not! Lifeboats are an absolute last resort. Launching a life boat is dangerous as the on/off load release systems used are an inherently flawed design. Secondly, SOLAS requirements for survival craft stipulate they must be capable of travelling for 12 hours at 5 knots. You now have several thousand people adrift a few hundred miles offshore and probably the single biggest maritime search and rescue scenario in modern history on your hands.

An example of a generator from a similar sized ship (with far smaller electrical demands):

upload.wikimedia.org...
edit on 15/2/13 by cheesyleps because: Broken link

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

Oh yeah I bet you would. Actually, I bet you would be bitching just like these people are. I know it cause most people would be upset if their vacation was ruined and turned into a nightmare.

Actually I can't afford a cruise to begin with, so your point is moot. I have to send most of my money back home to my family so they can eat.

And where do you get that these people are all rich?

If you make more than 2$ per day then you are in the upper half of the world in terms of wealth. I bet these people make waaay more than that, probably 10 or 20 times more! Some would earn even more than that, even 100 times more (would equate to about 60k salary) Almost all westerners are rich. It's all a matter of perspective buddy, there is not concrete definition of rich. The fact these people make a 100 times what most of the world does is "where I got the idea these people are rich". You're better off arguing the fat point, because more of these people would be skinny than poor. Sorry if my venting got to you, I'm just sick of seeing rich people complain because their caviar is stale.

edit on 16/2/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Yeah but if you could afford a cruise, you would be upset if it was ruined. You just said yourself that you can't afford a cruise because you send all your money back to feed your family, I respect that a lot by the way, so you would appreciate the value of your hard earned money being spent, then wasted (not to mention your vacation time) if in fact you had enough to take the cruise.

That's all I was saying. The Rich can just take another vacation, problem solved. Your rant didn't bother me at all. This entire incident just proves exactly why I would never step foot on one of those Boats. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
you know, some people save for years just so that they can go on a cruise. now, it's not my cup of tea, but jeez, let's give these folks a break. most of the world can't afford a computer and internet, but here some of you are judging people for how they choose to spend their hard-earned vacation time.
i don't recall where i heard this, but apparently the Carnival Triumph was essentially "out on bail". there were already known problems with that ship. these passengers have every right to be as outraged as they need to be. that cruise ship should not have been in use. did anyone else hear about that?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Problem with that kind of rationale is that a lack of press actually serves to shelter the company whose corner cutting created the situation. Caveat emptor is great but works better if you're aware of a company's prior history. I do agree, however, that the press is imbalanced. It should be a story to assist in the protection of a certain type of consumer but it shouldn't be quite as heavily covered as it has been. There are indeed far bigger stories that they could tell.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Well I don't plan on ever taking a Carnival cruise. Maybe another cruise line, but not Carnival.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
But if I can't trust MSM, who can I trust??

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Carnival is GARBAGE

Royal Caribbean is where its at.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join