It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forum or Against Them!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have noticed an ongoing issue with a number of posters. It seems that there are some who break into a thread midstream without starting at the beginning and reading the entire thread before they comment. This is not only rude to the OP but to our fellow contributors as if their posts aren’t worthy of perusal.

I understand that sometimes there can be lag time between when a person is typing in response and when it gets posted where someone will make a similar comment before them. However, there are many that indicate someone rushing to judgment without truly following the thread.

Then there are those that complain about the content of the thread and its suitability to be on ATS. I have noticed this often occurs because the person has ignored the forum the thread is in. If a person would simply notice the forum they could avoid being bored or irritated by the comments. Of course skeptics excluded!

I have also noticed there are some who really struggle with anyone showing emotion. I realize that can trigger an aversion response but please don’t take it out on the OP or poster. We don’t have the entire story on any given issue, so please be patient and kind when responding to others. We all need to be careful in offering advice again because we don’t have the whole story.

By and large I think most people do a good job. I also think the moderators do a good job as well. Let’s protect the decorum of our forums!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well said my avian friend, well said. S&F for you.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
'trickle down theory'

just sayin'

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Whole heartly agree with you.....Witty topic title BTW

edit on 14-2-2013 by howler1369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I have noticed an ongoing issue with a number of posters. It seems that there are some who break into a thread midstream without starting at the beginning and reading the entire thread before they comment. This is not only rude to the OP but to our fellow contributors as if their posts aren’t worthy of perusal.

To go with this, I'd also note the opposite but equally annoying problem of OPs who think they own their thread like a personal little blog or website of their very own. They don't. They never have. Try explaining that to some though.

As rude as it is for people to drop in without even reading context of the thread when it's out to 5 or 10 pages long......it's equally rude for something peripheral to but perhaps not PRECISELY on letter of the OP of a lengthy thread to be attacked as OT as if there was some real world importance to the declaration and major issues depended on rigid enforcement on the spot.

So we have thread crashers and topic nazi's. Different extremes of the same problem and both, equally annoying and at times, maddening.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I often read the OP and then comment. The reason I do this is to get my opinion out there before learning what others say to test my perception of the initial OP. This way I can see how others see what I believe. I then read the following posts to see where I am wrong. My perception is not always right and if I have alter it consistently. When I get to my post it reminds me of what I initially thought and I compare it to what I have learned. Sometimes I find that my perception is right because of knowledge of other things that aren't considered by others and other times I find that my perception was wrong. It is a tactic I use to increase my perception. I will then submit an altered perception post to correct or show my reasoning. I may be a strange bird but I am just learning to fly.

S&F and I agree with you to a point but there are reasons for people's posts that we do not always understand. If someone challenges me I research the subject more and often find that the way that people look at things because of the knowledge they hold can distort their overall perception. I am not immune to this either, I also make mistakes because of the knowledge I hold. I tend to get seemingly off topic sometimes because I am just learning to adequately explain things in writing instead of by talking. I tend to use examples also which some people can't understand the relativity of.

I hope you or others do not see my ways as disruptive.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think your strategy is a courageous one. It is tempting to see what others are posting before we comment but I think what you are doing is the most respectful to the OP.

top topics

join