It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Confirmed in Buried Antarctic Lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Life Confirmed in Buried Antarctic Lake
Full Story

They've successfully cultured bacteria in petri dishes from the water samples. Also, they will be inspecting some deep sediment core's soon.

This is exciting, I wonder if any of the bacterium they find will be beneficial to cure diseases. It's not without similar precedence, since many cures have been discovered in plants and fungi from the Amazon rain forest.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

This is exciting, I wonder if any of the bacterium they find will be beneficial to cure diseases.

I wonder more if any of them will be harmful

And thus the zombie apocalypse begins

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Interesting find OP.
I was just wondering how that project was getting on.
On the other hand it is equally likely that any bacterium found is of a strain that the human race has no defence against.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Go science ! This is one more chip to the stack for life. If it can survive in a buried lake in Antarctica why not on Europa Jupiters ice moon which almost surely has water under its ice crust.

We live in exciting time if you can ignore all the noise.
edit on 13-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'd like to know more info on the strains of these bacteria are they totally new to science?

The more we keep finding things living in harsh environments on our Earth the closer we'll get to understanding how and where to find life on other planets

I wonder if they have found anything in lake Vostok yet, the last I read they had found nothing yet

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The next thing you know James Arness will be stalking the dig crew.

This is very interesting, and lots of us were waiting for news about some results from the lake. Hopefully the bacteria samples are being handled as carefully as any potentially fatal disease, in safe rooms, showers for everyone going in or out in sealed suits, etc. If not they are playing without knowing the game pieces. "Life will find a way", but hopefully won't find a way to escape into the bodies of these scientists, who shall return to their home countries soon.

On a positive note, homo curiouso has barged into another pristine environment and mucked around. The human race is The Man!
edit on 13-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990

I'd like to know more info on the strains of these bacteria are they totally new to science?

The more we keep finding things living in harsh environments on our Earth the closer we'll get to understanding how and where to find life on other planets

I wonder if they have found anything in lake Vostok yet, the last I read they had found nothing yet

Yes, the more we explore these extreme environments here on Earth, the broader the range and categories of life biospheres we can search for extraterrestrial life forms.

As for Vostok, nothing yet that I am aware....but, if I do get news, you can bet ATS will hear about it ASAP.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Europa must now be investigated,same enviroment. More water on europa than earth.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks about the movie AVP when I read stuff like this?

On a serious note though, great find. Im excited to hear about vostok as well whenever they release their findings. Thanks for keeping up on the research

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse
Europa must now be investigated,same enviroment. More water on europa than earth.

I second that motion. The trick would be getting thru the ice crust in some places its estimated to be up to 19km thick in some places, all though the estimates very greatly.

A drill would be unfeasible and blasting thru it has many negative implications. First what nation would trust the US to launch a high yield bomb into space with a simple "we promise its only for exploration ". And second what if the delivery vehicle malfuntions, sorry dayton ohio we will try better next time??? . Then you run the risk of impacting a completely virgin environment untouched by any hand with a high yield explosive potently wiping out the life you seek.

So what to do... My idea would be to find the biggest crater on europa, its name is Pywell I believe or one that suit your needs, and finish what nature started. These area are already weaker from being impacted and you hit them with "rods from gods". This kind of explains the concept of these rods. en.wikipedia.org... .

Its kinetic bombardment baby. You hit it with a series of these until you break thru the extirior. Then the next phase would be to drop your next rod which would be equipped with a remote controlled submersible rover. Then voila were in flynn
. How to transmit thru that ice... idk someone smarter than me could probaly figure that out. Just an idea folks, its probably full of holes

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I thought this might be vostok
Not leaving disappointed however

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the post. This is an exciting update!
S & F

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

This isn't about proving a point about life on different planets/moons this is about survival. We need new antibiotics because the ones we have and have been using for years are failing, im sure these types of discoveries will help fight this fight.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenJack

I second that motion. The trick would be getting thru the ice crust in some places its estimated to be up to 19km thick in some places, all though the estimates very greatly.

A drill would be unfeasible and blasting thru it has many negative implications. First what nation would trust the US to launch a high yield bomb into space with a simple "we promise its only for exploration ". And second what if the delivery vehicle malfuntions, sorry dayton ohio we will try better next time??? . Then you run the risk of impacting a completely virgin environment untouched by any hand with a high yield explosive potently wiping out the life you seek.

So what to do... My idea would be to find the biggest crater on europa, its name is Pywell I believe or one that suit your needs, and finish what nature started. These area are already weaker from being impacted and you hit them with "rods from gods". This kind of explains the concept of these rods. en.wikipedia.org... .

Its kinetic bombardment baby. You hit it with a series of these until you break thru the extirior. Then the next phase would be to drop your next rod which would be equipped with a remote controlled submersible rover. Then voila were in flynn
. How to transmit thru that ice... idk someone smarter than me could probaly figure that out. Just an idea folks, its probably full of holes
if theres life on europa then evidence will be on the surface no need to penetrate the ice,frozen dna should not be that dificult

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tikitiboo

This isn't about proving a point about life on different planets/moons this is about survival. We need new antibiotics because the ones we have and have been using for years are failing, im sure these types of discoveries will help fight this fight.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
will bacteria kill us or weakened immune systems?
It has everything to do with life on other planets

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Yeah but wouldnt it be fantastic to view the life in real time, like watching the stuff we see in the deep oceans.

Finding DNA or genetic material of a life form on another celestial body would be the greatest achievement in the history of science IMHO.

However allowing the human race to view another life form in its natural environment from another world would be the greatest achievement in the history of our existence IMHO.

I know both achieve the same thing , proving that life is universal instead of global but think of which would have a more profound effect on exploration, science , and the direction of our species as a whole. I will admit I am a dreamer but hey somebody has to be

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Awesome and congrats on topic being selected for ATS LIVE!

So they found dormant bacteria in the lake, not multiplying at all at those below freezing(?) temps?

Nonetheless interesting as can now more easily fathom projectile water/ice somehow hitching a ride onto a comet and seeding life (or delivering virulent strain) light years away.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I would like to thank all the posters here, and the ATS mods for choosing this topic to discuss on ATS Live.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to listen or participate, but wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for this decision.

Remember, Deny Ignorance, and keep an open mind (but not so open your brain falls out)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
LOL so the yanks beat both the Russian and UK science teams?

Gratz!.

LOL I can just imagine Queeny spitting out her morning tea, furious at the news, haha.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

top topics

join