It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reward for leading LAPD to Dorner may be withheld.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Yesterday morning, two maids — still unnamed at this time — walked into what they believed to be an empty cabin in California's Big Bear mountains. Instead, they stumbled upon fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner, who tied them up and fled in a purple Nissan. Eventually, one of the maids managed to break loose and call the police. About a half-hour later, according to the Los Angeles Times, "officers with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife spotted the stolen vehicle and called for backup," and the chase was on. Following a shoot-out, Dorner took refuge in another cabin, where he died in a fire.

Normally, the maid's actions, which clearly led to Dorner's demise, would merely earn her the gratitude of the police force and the community. But this was hardly just any old criminal investigation. Three days ago, a group of local businesses, organizations, and private citizens, led by the Los Angeles mayor's office, cobbled together a record-breaking $1 million reward for information leading to Dorner's "arrest, apprehension, and conviction," in the words of Riverside County District Attorney Paul Zellerbach.

Does the maid, in a fairy-tale twist, get that million dollars? It's not clear. The maid's phone call didn't technically lead to the "arrest, apprehension, and conviction" of Dorner, only to his death, so if the terms of the reward are taken literally, it would seem she's out of luck. However, the city did get exactly what it wanted — the chance to bring Dorner to justice and end his reign of terror. Being stingy with the money, in such a high-profile case, could arguably dissuade citizens from making an effort to help the LAPD when rewards are offered in the future.

So, it seems that the LAPD is speaking with lawyers to see if they have to pay the reward. The reward was for the "arrest, apprehension, and conviction", but as im sure you've read in the numerous threads on ATS, dorner supposedly died in a fire. A fire that appears to have been set by the LAPD, or other forces on site.

To me this seems completely wrong and unfair, sorry, you dont get the reward we offered because he cant be convicted now that we killed him.

I wanted to get your thoughts on this, and if i am totally off base here let me know

DC

ETA: I dont start threads often, but i did search for this part of the story and didnt come up with anything. Mods: feel free to delete, move, or anything else you see fit for this thread.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

It is a cop out since they had no intention of taking him alive. They were in the process of apprehending him and so the maids did their part because they made that process possible. They deserve the money. You dont go back on your word, and especially so when you are a public figure /entity with authority like the LAPD.
edit on 13-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

This would not surprise me. I will bet they offer them $10,000 each as too keep from paying the full amount. ... I would think it would be like insurance companies paying on a claim.....

I wonder if it was an "annuity" reward?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
*May be withheld*..>??
Have a better chance robbing a bank to get anywhere near that carrot....

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Well, they didn't call to dime out Dorner. They called because they were assaulted and had their car stolen.

They likely had no idea who he was.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
They might not have gotten it anyway.

"arrest, apprehension, and conviction

Who knows if he would have been convicted.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Lets make sure they even "have him" yet. Still alot of unanswered questions. I know his FOURTH wallet was found with this body, may be another victim of his used to throw off the fuzz.....

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If they don't pay, the story is right, could make many people angry and not be very helpful if there is a next time.

Plus, it would just make the people questioning the story to begin with, even more suspicious wouldn't it?
edit on 13-2-2013 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

They will get something far from 1 million and no one will ever know what, it will be sealed. This is the way of "bait and switch", you almost have to apprehend the perp yourself and turn him in.

I doubt LA has a million bucks to give away.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I saw that one coming.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That says the reward is for information that leads to the arrest and capture ... but; if police kill him when they get him ... then is he "captured"?

There's also a man with a dog in the hijacked vehicle story. The story said he was let out of the vehicle with his dog, jumped into the woods and phoned. He said gunshots started just 10 seconds later ... so, the county Sheriff's Deputies were already there and alerted. I don't know if his vehicle was damaged in the fire or not.

The people who owned the cabin that the police set on fire - that's another victim I hope is compensated.

I hope the maids get at least SOME of the reward money if not all of it.
edit on 13/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I called it the day before yesterday, long before this happened. We're heading to Cali on this run, and my fiance said "maybe we'll see him and get the reward." I told her they were going to kill him, and use that as an excuse to not pay the reward, since he'll be dead. They didn't apprehend him, they killed him.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
who pays for the destruction of the private property? How many years will that take to resolve?

The people who were shot by the police earlier get how much for the pain and suffering after court costs, attorney fees, taxes etc? How long will that take?

Why does it seem that innocent bystanders, people who are victimized, are in the same boat as the maid - sol unless the hire a lawyer and give them 35 percent of the take plus costs - 2.00 per copy per page etc.?

The unreal problem her is the TV reality these folks live in, kill, kill, kill, shoot shoot shoot because this is the crises of our times and they do this without regard to the rest of the entire world. They are like children who haven't become aware they live on a planet with billions of others besides themselves, and who justify their rampant destruction by saying, "it's our job and we had no choice."

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have a great question. If Chris is real then why have we not heard from any family members or former service members raising all kinds of hell? I would think they would have already filed law suits against the state for setting the house on fire Wako style. Its so obvious since the media wont stop airing the recording of the police officer yelling to burn the house to the ground and so called burners being used. Probably flame throwers.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
*May be withheld*..>??
Have a better chance robbing a bank to get anywhere near that carrot....

What does the symbol on the zombies head in your avatar?

They intended to kill him, they would have breached if they wanted him alive.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That couple was originally reported as a couple, then later became 2 maids, and now are back to a couple again. Either way, I still hope they get paid!
www.nbclosangeles.com...

NOTE: NBC4 incorrectly reported that the pair held captive inside a Big Bear cabin were mother-daughter housekeepers. A couple who own the Mountain Vista Resort on Club View Drive on Wednesday evening told media that they were tied up by the man before he stole their SUV.

top topics

join