It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Tennessee Law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well said, I live in Tennessee as well, and feel the exact same way, but going anywhere near Memphis I will not do. Even trying to go to Graceland is rough. So I can easily know where you are coming from.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Weird - came up "you do not have permission to post in this forum #1" and blew away my entire post.

Kudos to Tenn. for standing up!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
What???? I ask permission of no one, and to no man do I answer to. I know you would never say that to my face.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Yes, I live in Tennessee too! Love this place.

Someone mentioned the KKK above. I do not agree with their ideology, their history, or almost everything they stand for - except one thing; exercising free speech. KKK is a bad mark (being nice) on society and I do not like what they stand for or the things they say, but I am glad they are allowed to say it.

Limiting one group's free speech could set a precedent that may translate into more and more restrictions on speech. How could there ever be a line drawn to mark the area safe speech?

Freedom of speech allows us to spread the word of any atrocities or other crimes being committed and it allows us to question our government's actions and accountability. Free speech is equally important as the right to keep and bear arms.

Simply because there are a few completely dispicable and vile groups out there doesn't mean we should abandon free speech to eradicate these ignorant groups.

Paralleling this explanation of free speech, the right of the masses to keep and bear arms should never be restricted to avoid a few completely dispicable, vile, evil, psychotic individuals from abusing the right of gun ownership.

A government placing blanket restrictions on free speech and/or gun ownership IS forceably removing citizen rights from any individual who does not agree.

What is a person who has their right to defend themself and their right to tell anyone of their mistreatment taken from them against their will?

A rape victim.

rape - [reyp] noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.

noun

1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.

2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.

3. statutory rape.

4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

verb (used with object)

6. to force to have sexual intercourse.

7. to plunder (a place); despoil.

8. to seize, take, or carry off by force.

edit on 11-2-2013 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Good god I get sick and tired of the mindset people like you have.

Cops do NOT draft legislation, the legislature does. Police enforce the laws the legislature passes and only the Prosecuting Attorney can file charges / proceed with a prosecution. Law Enforcement is NOT part of the judicial branch.

Michigan gun laws are the same... While open carry is legal, once you get into your car the weapon is not in "plain view", making it concealed under their law.

In Missouri conceal carry is legal if you are on your own property, in a vehicle / property of another with the owners consent. If there is contact and the officer asks a person to step out of the car, they must disclose to the officer they have a concealed weapon, otherwise tthey would be violating the law (in MO).

If you dont like the law then do something to change it instead of demonstrating ignorance by accusing a group of people of taking an action that they have nothing at all to do with.

Please please please educate yourself on how your government works, at all levels. Please get involved to make the changes on things you dont like.

When the citizens know the law and how their government works, they are better able to hold those public officals accountible.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thunder57
It just passed into law, here that you can now store your gun in your vehicle while at work , or anywhere. Even in places where guns are not allowed. Feinstein, put that one in your pipe and smoke it.

www.newschannel5.com...
edit on 11/2/2013 by Sauron because: include source

Right on.

I live in Tennessee, some pretty decent gun laws here. Law's pretty crooked too, depending on the county you're in. Some would say its bad, but to have understanding cops rather than tyrannical ones is good for me. Still, only about half the cops are crooked, or, as I would say, decent.

We still have lots of tyrants here too.

I applaud my good ol' state for doing this. S & F.

Still, I hope to get back down to Texas, where the gun laws are sweet and the freedom is free.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Bedlam

Good god I get sick and tired of the mindset people like you have.

Cops do NOT draft legislation, the legislature does. Police enforce the laws the legislature passes and only the Prosecuting Attorney can file charges / proceed with a prosecution. Law Enforcement is NOT part of the judicial branch.

And, pray tell - where did I say that LEOs DO draft legislation. Go point it out to me...I'll wait. (crickets)

Ok, what I said was, the LEOs were charging people with concealment, because the definition in law allowed stupid interpretations such as the front concealing the back. And the prosecuting attorneys just go along with it, because the cop is always right.

And it happened enough that it was dealt with. This is why cops can't have nice things.

Michigan gun laws are the same... While open carry is legal, once you get into your car the weapon is not in "plain view", making it concealed under their law.

Perhaps when you guys become tired enough of arbitrary decisions by YOUR LEOs, you too will effect a change. Only probably not, because you guys are unionized into submission, if the police unions want it, you'll vote that way. Yay solidarity.

If you dont like the law then do something to change it instead of demonstrating ignorance by accusing a group of people of taking an action that they have nothing at all to do with.

Please please please educate yourself on how your government works, at all levels. Please get involved to make the changes on things you dont like.

When the citizens know the law and how their government works, they are better able to hold those public officals accountible.

Please please please try reading for understanding, you'll find that it helps you not get gobsmacked by the person you're replying to. In this case, by reading for understanding instead of keywords, you'd have discovered:

1) I said the LEOs were charging people arbitrarily based on 'sass' with concealed weapons charges, due to the way the law was written, which gave them a ridiculous amount of freedom in interpretation

2) the people of the state got tired of it, and forced a change on the legislature. It was quite rancorous, with the usual "gunsmoke - death in the streets - dead cops everywhere" police commentary.

3) now the law reads that the inside of the car is co-equal to your domicile. Anything you can do with a firearm in your home, now applies to the interior of your auto.

4) problem solved. No gunsmoke, no dead cops, no 'high noon'

Really, looking at your reply, you missed every point, and it was pretty darn clear. Read, man, read.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I did, and freedom to carry is still freedom to carry, without persecution. here we know what the 2nd stand stands for. Not some watered down version of it.

edit on 12-2-2013 by thunder57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
It's official. The next mass shooting in Tenn will have everyone running for their cars and it's not to get away.

What is this, Mass Shooting, you speak of. Ma.. Maa.. Mass Sh.. Shooti. no, it's made up words.

Everyone knows no one goes mental and kills innocent people. They're government operatives. Brainwashed and controlled with microwave oven voice modulators and washingmachine transceivers. There are no victims in these things. They're actors and decoys and photoshopped images. No one has ever died from a gun, ever. It's all been a slow con to take your guns away. And to put drones in the sky. And to make you scared.

Don't you read ATS at all?

Just like the CNN koolaid drinkers (you) who make idiotic posts generalizing the entire community who refuses to believe the spoon fed nonsense and disinformation about shootings such as Aurora and Sandy Hook has a right to their opinion. The other side that believes nobody ever died or there were no planes can make their idiotic comments and have an opinion too.

Even though in my view, both are asinine but hey, I'm in the middle of those 2 scenarios so I guess I'm allowed my opinion as well.

Fair is fair no?
edit on 12-2-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Enforcement of a bad law is a thousand times worse than writing and passing a bad law.

Without enforcement bad laws will die regardless of the political insanity we all suffer under. But so will your sweet pension I guess.

Hmmm... liberty/pension, liberty/pension.... that's a tough one.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If we do not take a stand we will fall to the ones who wish us to try and believe us to be the sheep they think we are.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thunder57

on the link you provided i only see that it passed a state senate commitee not yet a law as one would think by your op unless now 28 people in a state can pass a law dont get me wrong i think the law isnt a bad idea it just isnt a great law like one kentucky has where even non permit holders can have a pistol locked in their glove box

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Good deal, at least here in the south we defend our freedoms and will fight to keep them, and not just talk them to death. If our forefathers did not have the foresight to see that this very thing could and would try to happen it would not have been written in in the first place.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
mistake
edit on 12-2-2013 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
No affiliation here to them in the least, and hate what they stand for to be honest. All are equil in my book.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by thunder57
you can now store your gun in your vehicle while at work , or anywhere. Even in places where guns are not allowed.

Great. Now when criminals break into your vehicles to steal your stereo, they can get your guns too. Makes perfect sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Now that really depends doesn`t it, on how well secured your weapon is. There are methods that do prevent this and yes they do work.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
ACTUALLY, the bill does NOT become law, until it passes BOTH houses and the Governor signs it!

It has passed the State Senate, and now goes to the House sub-committee, as stated in the OP's link. WHile there, it may be subjected to modification, with changes or additions.

It's not a LAW yet, but getting closer.
edit on 2/12/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: wording changed

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I cant stand to watch Chan. 5 news, They only give you a brief overview of what the topic is, make a few stupid jokes and then on to the ever contradicting statistics and studies. I would love to backhand both those morning anchors and tell them to STFU.

Here in Nashville i dont leave my home without going armed, to many "groups" from other countries think they have something to prove growing up in 3rd world countries with "gangsta rap". Nashville has quietly become a refugee haven for the world and all their problems come here. Its kind of bad when the home invasion increase makes you lay trip wires in strategic locations around ones property and home.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Like I said before to you, I love it here too, and kudos to you. You are exactly right here we treat folks like folks, and we try to get along. But utmost we all are brought up on guns and gun safety. It is the idiots that ruin it for all of us, not the responsible ones. Here we hunt to feed our families, not for trophys. Here we know the value of human life and respect it. But to borrow a line from Springsteen, We Take Care Of Our Own.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join