It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to music???

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

my fav band is MUSE they are ####### great mate

just do a search

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Some nice clips there! I was lucky enough to see Dead Can Dance last week and man they were awesome!

I'm a musician and in the scene that I play in, there are lots of very good musicians who are excellent at playing their instruments and creating great songs. It saddens me that so many people out there don't appreciate how much work it takes to get good enough at your craft to be able to play an instrument and write original music.

Even though I might dislike a Top 40 band that plays instruments, I can at least appreciate the fact that they have taken some time to learn an instrument and they're not just some dingbat who has some producer doing everything for them and hitting auto-tune on their vocals...

Now, this song is certainly not for everyone and will make some of you vomit but this guy is a genius and yet outside of certain circles no-one would know who the heck he is. That is a travesty.

Enjoy.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

Basically all I heard was the sound of a dozen fax machines vomiting to the beat of a drum machine.

Brilliant! This made my day.
As a fellow guitarist, (I play bass) I could not agree more with your thread. The day the music died? The day they invented auto tune! Kill me now......

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Freddie Mercury was a bonafide legend and truly one of the greats! RIP

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Well sure I'm biased because I'm a great fan of video game series too but I listen sound tracks from the FF series V to IX on at least a weekly basis for I don't know maybe 11 years or so, those games just wouldn't be the same without Uematsu's music. Very few games have tracks that fit the theme of the scene's displayed so well and not with the same consistency maybe Zelda and probably a few others that I can't remember right now. But even Koji Kondo's music for Zelda lacks some of Uematsu's playfulness and seriousness that seem not only fit the theme of scene but also the characters in the scene (there is a lot of that in Zelda too but there a so many places in a Final Fantasy game). Still consider Koji Kondo to be a genius video game composer though.
And like you said it's incredible that he has no formal education and as far I know he can't read or write music on notes sheets, I faintly remember reading that he started to learn creating melodies on a old piano he had at home at around the age of 4-5, but only by himself. I found funny that he stated this in a interview

Famitsu: Apart from medieval music, is there any other music that has inspired you? Uematsu: Well, that would be every piece of music I've ever heard. That's right, I've been listening to ABBA's "Greatest Hits" since yesterday, and I feel their musical sense is very close to mine. Like their construction of pieces. Of course, you won't find an ABBA phrase in FFIX. I feel I could have a drink with them, understand each other. (laughs)

Force your way from Final Fantasy is so good (try to follow the snare drum for entire song, it will mess with you;p)

edit on 11/2/2013 by Konoyaro because: added video

edit on 11/2/2013 by Konoyaro because: minor corrections

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Meh,
I really like dubstep, the less mainstream stuff anyway.
I think it's a lot more complex than you realise, I think it's the most interesting genre to come out in a long time.
It defies the ordinary conventions of music yet it works, I find it incredibly creative, but whatever.

Here's some of the dubstep I like:

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 11-2-2013 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Oh the music you find enjoyable was more than likely hated by your grandparents.

I dont subscribe to dubstep, as underground hiphop is more my speed, but the current trends of music are geared towards parties and raves. I say that the over stimulation of bull# that’s constantly shown in TV,Movies,"mainstream" music, etc is a tactic deployed by wealthy people who only have one thing in mind..getting wealthier. Has nothing to do with quality or creating meaningful works of art (hell is art even alive????)

I've actually been on a movie marathon lately, started with Alfred Hitchcock, and many of his great movies, and ended with a few movies released this year. I've noticed just as you have with modern music, that the newer movies are pointless shootemups, full of foul language, sex scenes, propaganda and etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I feel the same way as you. Today's music is complete and utter garbage.
Especially "dubstep" I hate that stuff with a passion.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The main thing that happened to music is that you no longer need to be able to sing a note, develop the skill to play an instrument, impress a record company or have any talent to speak of whatsoever in order to have your computer-generated creations reach millions and become successful. Any checks and balances that existed to help the good rise to the top and the bad sink to the bottom are gone. It's a tsunami of sound and your chance of finding a truly inspired, brilliant spot of talent in it is now as unlikely and rare as stumbling across an exposed pearl washed up on the shore.

Audiences now fill arenas to watch individuals stand on stage and play mp3s off their Macbook Pros. Remember when you used to sit in your room and work your stereo, placing records on the player, selecting the proper input and adjusting the volume? Now that activity is what makes you a rock star. You should have kept with it! The furry-booted beauties in their fluffy cat-ear hats could be bouncing in front of your record player instead of someone else's!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Music?....Oh...I'm old enough to remember what Music was...lol I don't even turn on the car radio anymore.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

First time member long time reader, and I just joined to reply to your post. I really wasn't expecting much from your mv link, but I was pleasantly surprised! It has been a long time since I have heard any melodic death metal any where near as good as old school In Flames or Bodom, and I thank you!

edit on 11-2-2013 by Renwoxing1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I know different generations always disagree about music, but todays stuff has no creativity.
And Skrillex is just horrible. In fact, I am amazed how these "DJ's" are considered so talented.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gman1972
Just because it's electronic music doesn't make it easy to produce. It is actually very difficult, as all parts, inspiration, writing, everything comes from you.

It is very easy to make a crappy sounding electronic song, just as easy as it is to make a crappy rock song, but to make a really good one, that's just as hard or harder. You should check out some of the gear that people who produce electronic music use, it's far more than a keyboard and a computer. Most have vintage synths, racks of gear, effects, ect.

Check out this guys studio, goes by the name Deadmau5

jessebrede.com...

Deadmau5, Moby, Skrillex, not one of these guys has any real musical talent. And yet they each make over a million a year. I just dont get it. And Ive tried.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I also think music decline is bad as well,some of it may be age.There seems like no real good new artist or new kind of music being made.Country music has also been ruined which is what I listen to mostly.
There is no new types of music coming out much either.
I like older music that I never grew up with and heard when I was young.Just more evidence of some kind of decline going on.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The energy you get from Electronic Dance Music or Dubstep concerts is just PHENOMENAL. I've been to Deadmau5, Skrillex, Porter Robinson, Pretty Lights, Skrillex and Deadmau5 again, KOAN Sound, M Machine, Diplo, and many many more. But I have also been to John Mayer, Kings of Leon, Underoath, and a bunch of other rock/indie concerts and nothing compares to the energy at an EDM/Dubstep concert. Two of the concerts were 100,000 WATT Sound system and let me tell you, I was spiritually and physically moved. The music takes over and I can just be me and dance my problems away.

So what if it's just a compilation of sounds? Is that not what all music is? Lyrics are not always needed. A beat, bassline, suspense, and a drop is components of all music is it not? The connection you get between the people and the artists just through music is really a beautiful thing for someone to experience. You can feel the bass move your every molecule and it is just an experience everybody should have. The fact that these artists can get people to move, dance, be happy, and get goosebumps over their music is incredible. They deserve all the credit they can get because I don't see everybody doing it if it's just as easy as "pressing buttons on their laptops."
edit on 11/2/2013 by clairvoyantrose because: missing content

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039

Just because it's electronic music doesn't make it easy to produce. It is actually very difficult, as all parts, inspiration, writing, everything comes from you.

It is very easy to make a crappy sounding electronic song, just as easy as it is to make a crappy rock song, but to make a really good one, that's just as hard or harder. You should check out some of the gear that people who produce electronic music use, it's far more than a keyboard and a computer. Most have vintage synths, racks of gear, effects, ect.

jessebrede.com...

Deadmau5, Moby, Skrillex, not one of these guys has any real musical talent. And yet they each make over a million a year. I just dont get it. And Ive tried.

They obviously have talent if people are listening to their music and going to their concerts. Just because it isn't conventional music doesn't mean it doesn't take time, effort, and A LOT of work to make these songs. Just because it doesn't sound good to you, doesn't make them talent less. I know I sure as heck can't piece together sounds and create a masterpiece and neither can you.
edit on 11/2/2013 by clairvoyantrose because: A word.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by clairvoyantrose

Originally posted by coop039

jessebrede.com...

They obviously have talent if people are listening to their music and going to their concerts. Just because it isn't conventional music doesn't mean it doesn't take time, effort, and A LOT of work to make these songs. Just because it doesn't sound good to you, doesn't make them talent less. I know I sure as heck can't piece together sounds and create a masterpiece and neither can you.
edit on 11/2/2013 by clairvoyantrose because: A word.

I said MUSICAL TALENT. And they dont have any. Yes they have computer skills and can work a mixer. But I dont think any of them play an instument ( I may be wrong). True I dont care for it. It all sounds the same to me, same bass beats with other stuff mixed over the top of it. And I do listen to a WIDE array of stuff. But this club music/dubstep stuff just all sounds the same, over, and over, and over.

But, to each his own. If you like it, jam away.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I know when I was a kid and played a lot of Rolling Stones I and forced my parents out to go fishing cause we had a band

I remember their music ( I was about 10). I look back at their music - Glen Miller, Montovani and it keeps me grounded.

Because though I love good rock music, I think beautiful music that is like Theme From a Summer Place etc will never be played on major radio stations which I think is the biggest sin that current radio has manage to wipe out.
Probably most of ATS don't have a clue on how good that music was. But again, real beautiful music that doesn't even have to have a bouncy beat to truly make it great.

That is why I thought Gordon Lightfoot was so special, with hits like "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or IF You Could Read My Mind". Tou don't always need drums to make a hit record.

It truly sad how every radio station has to have drums for everything thing they play. When you pick chocolates, you don't always have to have the same thing all the time. When you eat food it doesn't always have to be the same dinner year after year - percussion - is fine but RADIO STATIONS should have a soul a SOULD FOR VARIATION! Come on radio stations wake up and listen to some of us nobodies that have something to offer has well.
edit on 11-2-2013 by thetiler because: spelling and grammar and thought

But I do have to credit places like Blue Bird Cafe in Nashville for letting a lot of good musicians get heard. There needs to be more places like that. It is always crowed, elbow to elbow and is not ruined by the glamor of country and pop music.
edit on 11-2-2013 by thetiler because: spelling and grammar and thought

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cruff
reply to post by opethPA

Some nice clips there! I was lucky enough to see Dead Can Dance last week and man they were awesome!

Yup, seeing them live is really amazing and spiritual in a way.
I was lucky to see Brendan Perry on his solo tour last year at a small Synagogue in DC which was just amazing.
This time I got to see them at an orchestral venue in Philly.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Anyone saying dubstep is not Main Stream is out of touch with the main stream.

Heard any comercials lately? they ALL have dubstep tracks

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join